Engine mapping

AlanHo · 4 · 2836

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
In the UK the new i30 is being supplied with two 1.6 CRDi engines - one developing 81 kW/110PS and a more powerful version developing 94kW/128PS. Both engines produce identical torque @ 260Nm/192 lbs ft.  Max power and torque figures are at the same speeds for both engines.

I have driven both versions - the 110 PS version feels sluggish compared with my present 115PS car and the 128PS version feels much more lively. A fair reflection of their respective power outputs I guess.

Yet - both engines in the Style version of the i30 emit identical levels of CO2 @ 100 g/km and have identical official fuel consumption figures which are :-
Urban            67.3 mpg = 4.2 l/100 km
Extra Urban   78.5 mpg = 3.6 l/100 km
Combined      74.3 mpg = 3.8 l/100 km

It seems strange that there seems to be no price to pay in economy for the more powerful engine - or is there?

In a recent magazine road test the actual fuel consumption for the 110 PS model was 57 mpg (5.0 l/100 km) and for the 128PS model 54 mpg (5.2 l/100 km) so in real life the more powerful engine uses more fuel - but this is not reflected in the government official economy tests.

It is looking as though Hyundai carefully mapped the more powerful engine so that the prescribed government test did not pick this up because during the tests both engines performed identically.  Perhaps the more powerful engine does not reveal its power advantage at the speeds and acceleration rates prescribed in the tests.

Just wondering......................... :honk: :Dunno:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Pip
All other things being equal, if you have more power and you use it you will use more fuel. I don't subscribe to the idea that Hy did something on purpose to hide the truth but rather that the extra power available simply wasn't required to be used during the tests.

Offline neoto

• 3rd Gear

• si Slovenia

• i30cw 1.6 CRDi Style 90 HP
Both engines have the same maximum torque. The difference in power rating comes from the fact that the torque peak lasts for (for example) 2000-3000 rpm in the 110 HP version and for 2000-4000 rpm in 128 HP version.

I'm driving 90 HP i30 (2011) and there is lot of torque from 1800-2500 rpm. Then, suddenly the torque 'disappears'....

Anyway, I wanted to point out that the difference is in higher revs which you would never achieve during extra economy driving. Hence, the same fuel consumption figures.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Pip and Neoto.. your combined comments seem logical  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal