i30 Owners Club

Engine or gearbox broken ?

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I hope it was just a case of bad fuel that caused your car to burp a bit.

Please let us know how it goes :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Bit of a jump to a conclusion there. BP don't generally have a bad reputation, and many would say they are one of the best places to fill up. (Although I use Tesco and have no issues).

My guess would be you have a loose wire or fault sensor somewhere (crankshaft speed perhaps).

But it is strange.  BTW, what are the chances of wiring or sensor faults  after 1600 km without a warning light coming on. The symtoms weren't exactly "minor" .

Anyway, it's certainly something I'll be keeping an eye on.

• 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Looks like it might go down as one of life's great mysteries!  :undecided: :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Might just be that, yeah. I'll certainly mention it when i take her in for the Sat Nav upgrade in a couple of weeks time (and get my summer tyres fitted)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Any further issues?
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Nothing to date. Thanks for asking  :goodjob:

Offline QueenBeth69

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Charlestown
I can't solve SA Dave's problem either. 
But it highlights a concern I have,  which I was discussing with my son and daughter yesterday.

Technology is IMHO, getting out of control. 

Whilst the car is relatively new, it's all wonderful.  However,  the current crop of vehicles is going to be old before long. And by old I mean between 5 and 10 years old.

Which means things like the EPS, power window and remote central locking actuators will fail with more regularity.  We've already heard horror tales about the difficulties of access and costs associated with these sorts of things.

Fine if you can trade in every 5 years,  but what about the people who then buy our car asva second handy?

A bit scary.

It's very scary. They are pretty much manufacturing cars that will only run well for around 7 years maximum, it's disgusting! We will never again get the quality product that they used to make, which is going to make car ownership very difficult for future generations.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Well, i promissed an update ........

It's happened a few times since  we've had the car and it's got 8500 km under it's belt at this moment. The last time it happened was last Saturday.

It only happens during a gear change while accelerating in a somewhat "sporty" fashion, like getting on to the motorway.

I've now sent an email to my dealership, explaining the problem and hope to get a reply soon.

This doesn't seem to be going away with usasge.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you can force it to happen now you know the circumstances - it may be best to get the technician to come out with you so you can demonstrate.

In my experience, if it doesn't happen when the technician takes it for a spin - you are stuffed - and they will not acknowledge that there is a problem.

These intermittent problems are a right ball ache.

I wish you all the best

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The option of getting fault codes was only just coming in to play as I retired so I don't know a lot about them but it seems to me there's a serious shortcoming in the technology.

How often do we hear of issues like this where there is quite obviously something not right yet there are no fault codes logged.

Surely they can design software which captures EVERY departure from the norm.

Or is it possible they don't want to?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The option of getting fault codes was only just coming in to play as I retired so I don't know a lot about them but it seems to me there's a serious shortcoming in the technology.

How often do we hear of issues like this where there is quite obviously something not right yet there are no fault codes logged.

Surely they can design software which captures EVERY departure from the norm.

Or is it possible they don't want to?

Unfortunately, there will always be a lack of fault codes in vehicles. To monitor every possible parameter that could vary requires a dedicated sensor, thus increasing the wiring cost and complexity of the system. Who is to say that a monitoring sensor could in itself fail. This happens quite regularly on aircraft and space technology to the extent that ground controllers, (safe in their seats,) advise overriding the limits occasionally.  :scared:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
***BIG UPDATE***

Just got back from another trip to England, and guess what....... It happened again. I still had'nt heard from the dealer after my email, so i went in to see them.

I got a mechanic to come for a spin and, thank god, was able to reproduce the problem.

And.....it's a slipping clutch. (Above 3500 rpm in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. The car goes in next Tuesday.

........ to be continued

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Clutch!  :confused: Hope they cover it under warranty!  :sweating: Should do hopefully, due to age of car.  :Good_luck:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I told them they should. "They won't like me when i'm angry"

It's done it since new, it just took some time for me to be able to reproduce it on demand. The mechanic said it shouldn't be doing that, which is basically a confession.

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Next Update...........

Just got a call from the dealer  :phone1:.

The clutch is contaminated and there's a leak in the gearbox. So, new clutch plate (+ a new flywheel probably) and  new bearing seals. All parts have to come from Germany, nothing on the shelf.  :crazy2:

This means i have to drive around in an astmatic Mitsubishi Space Star for an extra few days (what a joke car that is........ 3000 km on the clock and it hardly gets out of the starting block and sounds like a Leopard tank, and before anyone asks, yes i have driven one  :P)

On the upside, everything else is great in the i30, very happy.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
***UPDATE***

Happy Days  :D

Got the car back from the dealer this morning, which was great. What was even beter was that i gave the Mitsubishi back  :happydance: :happydance:

All work was done under warranty and included a new crankshaft seal (primary seal) and completely new clutch and flywheel, which had been contaminated by weeping oil.

I'm just hoping there's no design fault behind this and that i'll get many problem free kilometers out of the i30.   :D :D :D

Just as an aside......... I did hear from a mechanic that the i30's engine is too powerful for the clutch  :crazy2:, but his experiences were with 1.8 and 2.0 ltr engines. Hopefully the 1.6 ltr is underpowered enough that the clutch can cope.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Interesting you should mention what the mechanic said...

A friend of mine, who likes his cars and can drive them well (but has little money to buy or spend on such), did opine to me - that he wondered if maybe the engine was too big for the gearbox... and that was why I had problems (basically design flaw) and why it sometimes felt like it was in the wrong gear (automatic - so up to it to change, excepting of course manually moving the stick from D to 3 or 2).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
A design flaw is certainly an option. for example i don't really get how a 6-speed would be that better than a five speed..... you just change gear more, but you still have to get 6 gears into much the same space as 5 gears, and getting 135 hp though something the size of a biscuit tin is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Anyway, with me, it was the seal that failed and that could be anything from being fitted wrongly to simply a bad seal. Hopefully the seal isn't badly designed  :neutral:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal