i30 Owners Club

Samsung Galaxy Tab2 stereo replacement, dash install with pics

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Hello everyone

This is my latest mod which I have been doing over the past couple of weeks and I am almost finished so I thought I'd share.

I have replaced my factory head unit with a 7" Galaxy tab2

I have a Sony receiver installed in the glove box which the tab communicates with via bluetooth. The reason I have done this and not run the tab directly to an amp is for a few reasons..

1. I can still have my steering wheel controls as they are connected to the sony unit
2. I can play radio without having play through the tab with an internet connection
3. I still have the option of playing cds or playing though Aux cord

and lastly this sony model also has a function called "App Remote" which means I have an app on my tab (sony app remote) and when I open in I can pretty much control the sony unit from the tab. For example I can choose between cd/aux/bt audio/radio etc. I can even choose what radio stations I want all from the tab which is pretty cool. Also the tab will stop playing bluetooth audio as soon as the sony unit is off and as soon as they are connected again it will start playing automatically where it was at before it was turned off.

The tab was an almost perfect fit, I had to modify the charger cord to help it sit in better. I have a usb charger dock connect to the ACC on. Thanks to an app called Tasker I have it set up so that once the tab receives power (charging) the screen turns on and stays on along with bluetooth and wifi turning on. Once I turn the key off all those things will turn off and the tab will go into airplane mode and the screen will turn off after 7 seconds.

You can also modify Tasker to do things like having the screen at a certain brightness at a certain time for example duller and night and brighter during the day.. I have yet to do this though.   

Cost List for anyone interested..

Tab $100
Sony Unit $160
Steering harness $80
Fascia Kit $48
12V Usb Charger $10
Sony ISO harness $10
Antenna adaptor/extension/right angle $15

This as been a pretty difficult mod and as taken a fair bit of time but having an android unit which you can customise as much was you want is pretty awesome. I just turn on my phone as a wifi hot spot and I have internet and google maps which is really handy.

So far the only issues I have are. My track forward steering button doesn't work I have been told by the supplier that I need a different patch lead which I am yet to try. And when sitting outside in the sun for a long time sometimes the tab will not charge due to being to hot which is fine but the issue is it will keep popping up with a warning message telling me this every minute until it was cooled down which interrupts the music. My solution is to find a app or program to stop the warning messages, also I am going to install a usb fan behind the tab with a toggle switch to help it cool down quicker for those times.

Anyway here are some photos

the sony unit in the glove box

Hole in the top of the glove box I had to make for the sony unit to fix. It's not in this photo but I had to make another hole to the left for the glove box light which was on the right side

harness that I had to extend coming out of the back of the glove box

My hacked up usb cord, had to sand off some of the aircon vents to give more room

Dash cut out using a supplied template

fascia kit installed

Tab mounted

Usb charger, this is where I plan to install the usb fan

The head unit

The App remote mode

Radio

• Hyundai i30

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That's an impressive job - congratulations and thank you for sharing it with us.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Very, very impressive, Jessie. :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:wts: awesome
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
 :wts:   Cripes that is a massive job, well done, way beyond me but interesting to look at.  Thanks

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Awesome job, Jessie. It would be a shame to settle for a toggle switch for the USB fan after all that effort. How about finding an app that measures the tablet's temperature and turns the fan on before the warning comes up? It should also turn it off when cool enough. If not through an app, use a separate temperature sensing circuit (thermistor and relay) that you can calibrate for just the right temperature. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Jesse91

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Hyundai I30 1.6L SLX
Awesome job, Jessie. It would be a shame to settle for a toggle switch for the USB fan after all that effort. How about finding an app that measures the tablet's temperature and turns the fan on before the warning comes up? It should also turn it off when cool enough. If not through an app, use a separate temperature sensing circuit (thermistor and relay) that you can calibrate for just the right temperature. :goodjob:

Thanks, yeah this is why someone at work said that I should wire up like a thermostatic switch.. I will see how I go I did have a thick rubber mat covering the whole back of the tab but has since removed so this might help it a bit too.

Thanks for the comments guys
  • Hyundai i30

Offline 41south

• 1st Gear

• nz New Zealand
      Wellington
Awesome job  :goodjob2: Where abouts did you source the facia kit?

Cheers
Colin
  • 2009 i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal