OFFICIAL REPLY FROM HYUNDAI OZ RE: CPF

Dazzler · 29 · 16093

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Got this answer today from my request for info on brand and grade of oil recommended for i30....

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email.

The I30 CRDi vehicles for the Australian Market are not equipped with CPF.
Therefore, oil meeting ACEA B4 grade is required for these vehicles without CPF.

Kind Regards
Nick ChristopoulosCustomer
Service ConsultantHyundai Motor Company Australia
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
So, what is this then?

It looks like a Cat Converter on a petrol vehicle, and from what I've read on the net, seems like it's a PF.

This is unless Hyundai Australia just use a gutted out PF, leaving the body in place. (Daihatsu did this with their turbo Charade in 85-92, used a gutted out cat below the turbo, since Australia still ran leaded fuel back then, and Japan had unleaded.)

Though, it doesn't make sense why they would leave a PF in place, when a straight through pipe would be cheaper to manufacture!  :|

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I get on pretty well with the service guys at my local dealer so i'll go an talk to them as soon as I get time (see if they can shed any light on the issue)

I've printed out a copy of the email and put it with my service book to cover me with Warranty if I have any probs going forward.

Regards,

Dazz

Happy to forward a copy of the email to anyone who wants it...

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The picture looks like what I have under my car.

My Dealer said I had CPF so I presume that this is it.

Like D_D I'll ask again next week when I'm at the dealers. I'll also ask which bit is it.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Just thought i'd give you boy's some info i leant from testing myself.
well when they fitted Catalytic converters to unlead petrol motors years back, they removed an important anti friction additive from mineral oil for cat equipped petrol motors, but that additive stayed in diesel mineral and turbo diesel mineral oil. then latter i was talking to a friend that builds and dyno's motors, and he was saying he had some customers come in with flat tappet motors they built and they were useing this late model mineral oil with the anti friction additive removed. and after runing motor in on dyno, when he did a power run started rattling, they found the cam lobes badly warn, as with flat tappet cams the have a lot of friction. so i have always used turbo diesel mineral based oil on my petrol motors, my ute has 206,000 no problem with the cat, the CPF looks like they are useing the same reason ( the friction aditive in mineral turbo diesel oil. and as i like useing what has worked for me long term in the past i think i'll stick to useing Turbo Diesel Mineral oil as most all the really big diesels use mineral base oil not synthetic, they are under extream loads. but i will change every 5,000k like i always have done in the past. the way i look at it is, it is easy to change that little muffler but not so easy rebuilding a motor, so i'll do whats best for my motor not whats best for the CPF.
Cheers

Offline spinach88

• 1st Gear
For what it's worth, my dealer also said the CRDi DOES have a filter. Not sure where the confusion lies...

benjamin/

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Ben,

We had been working on a lot of assumptions... eg that because UK cars had CPF then we must have them too... etc etc.. Owner's Manual doesnt say yes or no... So I wrote to Hyundai Aus they say no, asked Service Manager (he not sure..yet) so that's where the confusion came in. I'm gunna try and get to the bottom of it today (before going to work at 1.00PM)

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline encountar

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Penrith

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I just went to the contact us tab on the Hyundai Aus site...

Then sent follow-up email to

Hyundai@assistcontactcentre.com.au

address on their reply...

Guys name is Nick..

If I don't get a reply today I'll go back via Contact Us tab again ...

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Latest reply from Nick...

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

Thank you for your email.I have forwarded it onto the appropriate department and will respond within3 working days. Kind Regards

Nick Christopoulos
Customer Service Consultant
Hyundai Motor Company Australia

We've got them stumped!

P.S. Rang my dealer today RE: Oil filter for diesel... was told by Parts Department Diesel uses same filter as Petrol $11.97 RRP (Seems unlikely?)

Left another message for Service Manager (on another call) hasn't rung me back - will also ask him about filter when he does...

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Arrgghh, this gets even more confusing.

Local Hyundai dealer in Canberra, they say there is no CPF fitted to manual diesels, but auto diesels do have a CPF fitted.

I rang the Hyundai dealer I purchased the vehicle from, their service department said that all i30 diesels in Australia have a CPF and require a special diesel oil.

Make of it what you will!  :cry:

Offline Ian

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi All

went to my local Hyundai service centre today. Asked them about the cpf. Was told that there is only 1 hyundai with a cpf ( in australia) and that is one of the 4 wheel drives forget which one,BUT THE i30 DIESEL DOES NOT HAVE ONE.I THEN ASKED WHICH OIL THEY USE AND WAS TOLD MOBIL 1 ESP FULLY SYNTHETIC.Looked up the oil on mobils site and that oil is recomended for cars with CPF :?: .
Ian

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

HI GUYS... FINALLY SORTED ..

Here is the official..official reply rec'd today (with a supporting PDF)

Dear Mr xxxxxx,

You can rest assured that the i30 is not fitted with a DPF and must use engine oil stating ACEA B4 specifications.

I have confirmed this twice with our national service manager.

See attachment below.

Kind Regards Nick ChristopoulosCustomer
Service Consultant Hyundai Motor Company Australia    

(See link below I30 OIL .pdf)

http://www.aouq23.dsl.pipex.com/I30_OIL_.pdf

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

D_D if that is the OFFICIAL response then what is that box on the exhaust in thumper's picture?

Do you have the same exhaust configuration?

Does your's smoke on start up or whilst pushing the car under load???

IF yes, then NO CPF is my understanding from reading elsewhere.

It seems hard to believe that in UK I've been told I have a CPF and my exhaust system looks like the picture.  You would expect as the cars are generic in engines etc, we are trying to save the Planet and reduce the carbon footprint it would have a CPF.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye....

In my last email... I asked them what the cannister in front of the muffler was (they didn't bother answering that part). To be honest i haven't checked under my car but would assume it has to be the same (I asked an open question about Aussie i30's not just my car). I'm assuming now it is some sort of Catalyst converter for reducing emissions other than soot particles?

According to the wife who has followed me a couple of times my car does blow a little smoke on hard acceleration and occasionally on start up if cold...

Service Manager rang me late yesterday while I was serving at work, so I will ring him back this morning as I still want to clarify which oil filter to use... Parts department say diesel oil filter same as petrol i30 only A$11.87 rrp... Strange as Lakes quoted $25.00?

Cheers,

Dazz

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi all

I know you've probably flogged this issue to death but I got this reply from my dealer today:

Hi

After speaking with the Foreman he has read through his Product Brief and explained it does not come with one.  As far as an option we do not fit them you would have to look around for an aftermarket option.

Anybody know where I might get this sort of thing and what it might do to the fuel consumption?

I guess this is a green light to fit your own and it shouldn't affect the warranty.

Ta!
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
I am not the only one to find the saga of the Diesel CPF/DPF a puzzle so I tried a different tack when I emailed Hyundai Oz too. I asked about the Emission figures for the i30 Diesels submitted to comply with the Australian Design Rules. (Australia uses the EURO4 Standards.)

It took two emails to flush out the required information so that i could compare the Australian data with the official UK data.

At the moment I understand  that all European (inc UK) i30 diesels have a Particulate Filter.  Hyundai Au also informed me no DPF for the i30  in Australia. ( They must be fed up being asked again and again.)

Here are the figures...

Emission results supplied by
Hyundai Au are below.
i30 1.6 CRDi Manual
 CO2  125 g/km ;         HC+N0x    0.224 g/km ;    Particulate Matter 0.019 g/km

i30 1.6 CRDi Auto
 CO2  159 g/km ;        HC+N0x    0.217 g/km  ;   Particulate Matter 0.014 g/km

UK emission data from http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/

i30 1.6 CRDi Manual
 CO2 125 g/Km  ;         HC+NOx    .224 g/Km  ;   Particulate Matter 0.019 g/Km

130 1.6 CRDi Auto
 CO2 155 g/Km  ;          HC+NOx     210 g/Km  ;   Particulate Matter 0.016 g/km

And for comparison...
Euro4 Limits (Diesel)
HC+NOx 0.30 g/Km  ;     Particulate Matter  0.025 g/Km
Euro5 Limits (Diesel) from Next year in Europe, later I think in Australia
HC+NOx 0.23 g/Km  ;     Particulate Matter  0.005 g/Km

No Euro CO2 limits just yet. It looks as if it will be 125gm when it happens.in about 2012.

The figures are just sufficiently different to imply separate test runs on the very similar models for the different markets. The real puzzle is the Particulate matter measurements. Identical for the Manual 1.6 and pretty close for the Auto.  :idea:
 As Thumper's  photographs suggest Au does have a DPF after all and Hyundai Au were not told about it.  OR
The DPF fitted for Europe is useless and fortunately not needed to achieve Euro4 compliance.  OR
The engine management systems are set up differently. (Could Au have sacrificed a bit of performance to do away with the filter?) OR
I haven't a B!@@&% clue how you get the same PM result with and without a DPF and would love to know..

Seems to me that we ought to ask Thumper a favor. Next time he dismantles his Sports  Exhaust to please put our minds at rest by  taking a look down his i30 Exhaust system towards what seems to be the Filter to see if it is straight through or filled with a matrix of some sort. A gentle probe with a rod or piece of doweling might be worth trying if it seems possible to do it without damaging anything.

On the other hand a dud DPF is not impossible.  I read recently of problems with DPF performance in Germany. Seems they want DPFs  fitted to existing Diesels. German government grants encouraged a bit of a boom to supply the people having DPFs fitted. The official testing body (TUV) called a halt as so many diesels that had been retro fitted showed no improvement. Seems the aftermarket DPFs may have worked in the Lab not not on the road. The retro fit scheme will continue when TUV tested and approved DPF's are available.

Unfortunately the saga continues.
:cry:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice bit of research Bunyip...

Those figures being so similar is really hard to explain...

The Aussie i30 seems to have a different set of standard features than most of the other overseas countries (which seem to be fairly similar in their specs) so maybe the CPF is another point of difference. You would wonder why they would bother making the exhaust system different for such a relatively small market as Australia. But on the other hand our leather seats in the SR are only part leather and we don't get folding mirrors or cruise in our diesel (yet) etc.. etc..

Thanks again Bunyip.. :D

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hmmm, ok, when I get back home (about 1,500km away from home right now) I'll unbolt the front part of the exhaust, take the front 'canister' off and take photos of it, inside and out.

If it has any sort of honeycomb material (Like a cat converter) or baffling unlike a muffler, then that should be enough evidence.

Just like everyone else, I'm confused!  :roll:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Geez... 1500kms (where the hell are you...Cairns, Alice Springs or in Tassie  :lol:

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ceduna, SA, will be driving back tomorrow (Fingers crossed)  8-)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't you just hate him..

Good with computers too  8-)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Called into dealers this am.

The service manger CONFIRMED again that all UK i30's have cpf and need the fully syth oil.

So why the difference in OZ and possibly elsewhere?????????

They are going to order it in especially for i30 services and will not be using "normal" garage oils as he put it.

He did say it WAS EXPENSIVE but didn't have a cost as it wasn't showing on the parts listing from HY UK yet.

So at least my dealer has indicated they will be adhering to the Hy service requirements.  I'll wait and see how much they intend to charge.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eye...

We have to use fully synthetic too but the CPF requires "Smokeless" Synthetic. Fully synthetic is pretty dear over here (over $60 by the time you buy 6 litres worth) think smokeless is slightly dearer than that by about another 20% or so (but fortunately we don't need it) :D

Regards,

Dazz

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

IO think we have to comply with euro emisions which appears to be very STRICT compared to oz.

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi eye30,

I have joined the ranks of those who supply their own oil for a service of my Mazda3. The prompt was a bill for £60.00 for Low Ash Synthetic Oil as part of a Dealer service. I manage to save just over £20.00 per service by supplying my own. You may have seen that there are several on this (or was it the other i30  forum) who supply their own Oils in Oz too.

The special oil for  Mazda3's PSA/Ford 1.6 Diesel and DPF was formulated by Total . I get it from http://www.online-lubricants.co.uk/totalpage2b.htm  Total have done a lot of work on Low Ash Oils and have formulated Oils for other European Manufacturers too. http://www.lubrifiants.total.fr/lub/lubroot.nsf/VS_SWIPSA/AEF0E6B63C5DB05AC12571290039B780?OpenDocument&UNI=688A60D20AE2F9D9C1256EF3004DB954&
Did I read somewhere that the new generation i30/Cee'd 1.6 CRDi enginel was designed/developed in Germany along with the rest of the cars??

There are plenty of DPF friendly Low Ash Oils to choose from at http://www.opieoils.co.uk/default.aspx who seem to be the major UK On Line supplier. They are cheaper than Halfords from what I have seen. Unfortunately Opie Oils do not list any suggestions for the Hyundai i30 yet. However they do offer suggestions for the Kia Cee'd with the same engine.  You could ask Opie for suggestions or just take your pick from the Kia Cee'd  list. http://www.opieoils.co.uk/product-finder.aspx?CategoryID=370&SEName=oil-service-pack-recommendation#results

Now that the EU has broken the Dealers (dealers?) monopoly on Service and Warranty compliance you might wish to consider at least providing your own oil if not going all the way and getting the service done by an independent. If not this time then perhaps a bit further down the track. I would have to concede that there are times when paying the considerably higher charges for what we would hope is going to be "good Dealer service" can seem worth doing.

If you do decide to go down the Independent servicing route you can always check that you do not miss any recall work by checking with http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp.to see if anything shows for the i30. (Nothing Yet)
:)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Excellent post Bunyip...

That sort of info is alway handy to have on the site (especially for overseas members - with CPF)

Rgds,

Dazz

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Thanks for the info TheBunyip, quite alot to take in.

When they tell me the price I'll compare to private purchase.

I have a habit of discussing cost with this garage, 3rd car from them.
I've always found them to be keen to discuss prices I've been quoted at non franchised garages and match +- few £.

If they do the service and I have a warranty issue Hy Uk can't say it was due to non Hy parts etc or not keeping to service requirements such as rust quoted in another posting, even if you have the proof etc.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal