mjt57 · 330 · 92371

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Rick-p

That's exactly what it is supposed to do. The figure is a calculation of fuel used over distance traveled. As the distance lengthens, the effect of hill climbs or coasting divided over the total distance traveled has a reduced effect. As the tank empties and the distance lengthens, it takes a significant event to make any variation to the average figure displayed.  :neutral:

I'm feelin' a bit sorry for Rick (without a P)

From what Rick has said, does sound like his is behaving inconsistently  :undecided:

He said he resets it every fill (so shouldn't get stuck on a high figure) It's OK Rick.. I understand  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
But then you've always been one of our more understanding members  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Does anyone here really know what the fuel usage computer is actually looking at? For example, is it a flow sensor in the fuel line? Or distance to empty?

When I've filled up, each time I've reset all readings. When I've "brimmed" it, to get that extra 10l in, the DTE reading hasn't changed. It would still say around 720 km or so, whether I brim it or fill to first click.

However it's all calculated, it doesn't line up with my written down data, or rather, what my iPhone's fuel usage app says after I enter fill details.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I can't tell you, but as you will recall after filling the indicated fuel economy varies greatly according to road conditions, so there is some form of instantaneous fuel measurement going on. Given that the fuel is precisely metered to the injectors, if I designed it I would use that information.

As far as the DTE figure is concerned, I suspect that there is a max value stored and any excess caused by brimming is ignored initially. I assume the calculation of DTE is a result of the fuel tank float level which doesn't become effective until the fuel level is measurable. It has been mentioned before that the figure is very conservative at fill. It improves in accuracy as the tank nears empt,y although I've not had any experience of this as I don't use the DTE at all.

This is all supposition on my part, if anyone knows better, do tell.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I;ve read the user manual twice, I have spoken to the service manager about how this should work, to me mine is not working either way the service manager has explained or how it is explained in the book.
I'll just shove a lump over duct tape over it so it does'nt give me the trots, or simply leave it on the Odometer trip,and just work out my fuel useage the way I always have and how I have to work it out for Cyril,thats one good thing about the poverty pack, you haven't got all the added extra's to disappoint you
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
Mate,  stand on your "dig" and insit that they check it or change it ...if it is not working properly then, save the duct tape.... :lol: It should be a warranty issue.

Ask them what "test" or recording you have to do to convince them that there is a gremlin in there......   
Maybe you need to play some of that korean dude ..Psy or whoever he is, on the sound system.... so the car will get up and boogie!!!   :rofl:

Hang in there.... :cool:
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Yeah Heard about the Korean singer dud today apparently he is over this way somewhere creating a storm, with his singing,I see they're closer Swan Brewery too,bummer or those who drink.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Tonight I filled up the i30 at the local Caltex for the first time. It had one bowser for diesel, labelled 'Vortex Premium".

It cost $1.48, about the same price as what BP sells its "normal" diesel for.

I have no idea if there is anything premium about the Vortex stuff or not. But I'll run a couple of tanks through it, see if it makes any difference.

Reason for mainly using BP is that the servo is closer to where I live, and when we go to Melbourne there are BP servos conveniently located on the freeway, along with a McCafe...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I used that Caltex vortex all the time, & thought after 250k on it i could feel the motor had more responce. but i just seem to use BP all the time now and just got my 30,000k service last night, put new fuel filter, air filter & oil filter. used Mobil one 0w 40w same as i've used from new on this one. it's on BP felt like it runs better, and the service guy put the scan on it all checked out ok. so happy. i mostly just drive it in Sydney now and i never turn the the fuel useage off. it has been just sitting on 5.2L/100k just driving it not trying to get good economy.
Rick Without a P & not a Kelly :rofl: what's been happening m8? i have not read the whole tread? but trip computers can take time to work out fuel economy. i like it when they have useage as happens not just average useage like the i30 has. when i was looking at a little turbo Diesel, amoung the cars i test drove back in 2008 was a ford Focus 2.0 Turbo Diesel 6 speed manual. the average fuel useage L/100K on the focus's trip PC read @ 27L/100K i pointed that out to the salesman he said no thats wrong look at the sticker on the window :rofl:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I've just run two tanks of Vortex "premium" through my i30. Average usage, around 6.2l/100km.

Filled up with standard BP diesel recently. Economy is running at 5.7 which includes a quick trip down the freeway on Saturday.

Prior to trialling the Vortex the economy was running between 6.3 and 6.7. Mostly town driving, with some commuting out to work and back.

So, like premium unleaded in either car or bike, compared to 91RON unleaded, it made no real difference to either performance or economy.

So, moral of this story? I'll fill up wherever there's a BP or Caltex servo that's handy...

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
I know that using my 98Octane in my old xtrail used tomake it much more responsive and also much more economy. Other friends of whome i have also got onto premium fuels say the same.  Each to their own hey?
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Pip
Each to their own hey?
Whether 98 makes any difference is entirely dependant on the engine design. If the design cannot extract more energy from higher octain fuels then it simply cannot. In which case the extra cost is wasted.

I don't know what advantage, if any, our i30 can gain from 98 but if it can't then it can't!

Offline bryanj86

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Logan

• Logan, Queensland (i30 CRDi)
98 tends to be a better fuel that burns better regardless of whether the extra 'zoom' is translated to many HP more.  some cars require it other dont. but i would never run any car of mine on a the very poor quality 91 (standard unleaded) we have here in australia. It is the base of bases, standard of standards. It really is just for run abouts and very old cars that one doesnt care about. I would use at least 95Octane in any car i own as it burns cleaner and gives a little more responsiveness from the engine, particularly later in life.

I dont feel everyone needs to be running high octane 98 in their cars but 95 premium is probably what most should.

:)
  • 2011 Crdi i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd like to see a breakdown of all the fuels consumed in Oz to see what the %'s are.  :exclaim:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
If I could find the letter from BP, they sent me many years ago when they first bought out Ultimate, I email in a copy, they actually wrote my a letter of Guarantee and recommendation for use of both the higher gradee fuels, I was also told that when they advertise a RON rating for fuel it is only advertised at it's minumum, depending on batches at the time of delivery 91 can range anywhere from 91 to 96, same with the two higher grade fuels.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't often fill to the brim but when I have I've easily exceeded 1000 km. My economy figure shows 4.1 right now.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Pip
I'll stick with the "1st click" method for now. I can't see what overfilling it achieves other than to perhaps get a few more kays out of a tank.
To quote an old post... I agree. I also fill to the first click these days and get about 900km each tank before filling when the "empty" light comes on. Seems simple enough.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I'd rather visit servos as little as possible, personally, so will continue to be a brimmer.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Me 2

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Because this Toy car will do over 1000kms easily I've been brimming lately too (but making sure I drive a few kms after)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Bruce and Cyril must be lemons,I get no where near a 1000k's whether I first click or brim them, best I've ever gotten in either of them is 840K's when the low fuel light came on.but thats still better than the old car we have,it only gets 640 for 64 ltrs and the four wheel drive I used to have before either of Bruce or Cryil was justa nightmare for fuel usage.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Bruce and Cyril must be lemons,I get no where near a 1000k's whether I first click or brim them, best I've ever gotten in either of them is 840K's when the low fuel light came on.but thats still better than the old car we have,it only gets 640 for 64 ltrs and the four wheel drive I used to have before either of Bruce or Cryil was justa nightmare for fuel usage.

Aren't yours automatics though?  :undecided:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
db08
Nope cyril isa five speed and Bruce is a six speed,fellow work colleague reports he constantly gets over 1000 K's, he travels almost as far as I do on a daily basis,but he rarely exceeds a 100kph also his travelling is a lot flatter than mine.
don't know whether you've done the run up Welshpool road onto the Brookton hwy to Beverley, but it is a fair old long uphill run,Oh! and I tend not to be under a 100 much,I'm not that patient

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

db08
Nope cyril isa five speed and Bruce is a six speed,fellow work colleague reports he constantly gets over 1000 K's, he travels almost as far as I do on a daily basis,but he rarely exceeds a 100kph also his travelling is a lot flatter than mine.
don't know whether you've done the run up Welshpool road onto the Brookton hwy to Beverley, but it is a fair old long uphill run,Oh! and I tend not to be under a 100 much,I'm not that patient

Yes, I know it, but then I travel up Greenmount hill every day too.
Although I always think that the extra fuel used going up the hill is saved going down.
Have you tried re-setting your trip computer and doing a long run from there?
I went through a phase in my old 5 speed when I only got 7-800 kms but then it came good again.
I don't really understand it all but I tend to think that going on a long country drive in the new car as soon as I picked it up didn't do any harm.
As of today, it's averaging 4.9 l/100 kms on the latest tank.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
I know the economy is there,especially after doing 14,500 K's for less than $1250 in fuel,I have gotten it down to 3.8 ltrs per hundred, but sadly the way I tend to drive I average round 5.8 per hundred to 6.1 like I said I'm not that patient, I don't rush but like to get places in a timely fashion.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Slow down & sniff the roses, Rick-p  :)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Slow down & sniff the roses, Rick-p  :)
Or you might be sniffing the daisies instead  :rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I'm with Rick without a P on this one.  I regularly get 5.0 l/100km in hilly Southern Tasmania.  I could get better, say down to 4.6 or so, if I drive not above 80 km/h.  So in one week, I would save approximately 3 litres of fuel (at today's price, $4.50 or a cup of coffee).  It would also take me about an extra 15 minutes travel each way, each day.  So an extra 2.5 hours in the car to save $4.50!!  Sorry, my time is worth much more than that!!

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
My 2011 CRDi is now up to 20,000 km. Yesterday had a quick run to Melbourne (Airport) and home, a round trip of 380km.

I filled up before I left (I'm a "first clicker" not a "brimmer"), zeroed the trip computer, odo, etc.

The fuel gauge shows half way between 3/4 and 1/2. Trip computer shows average fuel of 4.9 l/100km, ave speed 85 km/h. DTE of about 520 km (to give a range of up to 850 km or more.

Prior to this though, after I filled it, my iPhone app tells me that the average between fills is 5.9 l/100km. But this includes commuting to/from work, trips down the street (shopping, etc).

When I first got the car I was disappointed that I wasn't getting the low 5s/high 4s that people here were claiming. Looks like it's heading in that direction now that the engine is settling in.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal