i30 Owners Club

First new car - a few questions

Offline veridical

• 1st Gear
My car has arrived and I am very happy. I took it for a bit of a drive on the weekend but it only has 114km on the odometer so far.

I know nothing about car mechanics. I can only compare my new i30 to my previous 1988 Nissan Pintara which I bought 6 years ago. And there isn't much comparison!

I am hoping someone can answer a few silly questions for me.....

1) When I am idling there seems to be a slight shake in the pedal and the car? Is this normal (perhaps part of the breaking in process) or should it idle smoothly?

2) It seems to struggle on the incline when trying to accelerate from 20km to 60km. I didn't notice this on test drive, so again, is this just part of breaking in the engine?

3) If you have been driving and activated HALO, is there a way to unlock the boot without turning off the engine? (i.e. when stopping to pick up a passenger)

Sorry, if these seem trivial - I am REALLY happy with the car and these are just things I have on my mind to consider before booking my 4 week service/check-up.

2)

• i30 SLX 2.0 Petrol MY11

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Hi veridical, Great to hear you have got your new wheels, you won't be disappointed.

I have a diesel so cannot comment on your first two questions.

Regarding the HALO question, the answer is yes. There is a lock/unlock button on the driver side arm rest that will unlock all doors, including the boot, but only once you have stopped the car.

By the way, stopping the engine won't deactivate HALO, you have to remove the key from the ignition.

The petrol owners should be ablte to help you with your other questions.

Happy driving
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi veridical, welcome to the club!

I have a petrol 1.6L, so my experiences might not exactly match yours.

1. I don't remember any obvious shaking at idle.  Maybe a little rumbling sensation when it's cold, but not after it's warmed up.  I would get it checked at your first service.

2. For the first 1500KM it definitely lacked power, and needed a lot of downshifting.  But, now with 4000+KM on the clock, it is quite happy to accelerate in top gear even up inclines.  So, give the engine some time to break-in.

3. I don't have HALO.  On my car, you just hit the main lock/unlock switch on the driver's armrest, whether or not the engine is running.

Congratulations on your new i30.  I'm sure you'll love it.

My car has arrived and I am very happy. I took it for a bit of a drive on the weekend but it only has 114km on the odometer so far.

I know nothing about car mechanics. I can only compare my new i30 to my previous 1988 Nissan Pintara which I bought 6 years ago. And there isn't much comparison!

I am hoping someone can answer a few silly questions for me.....

1) When I am idling there seems to be a slight shake in the pedal and the car? Is this normal (perhaps part of the breaking in process) or should it idle smoothly?

2) It seems to struggle on the incline when trying to accelerate from 20km to 60km. I didn't notice this on test drive, so again, is this just part of breaking in the engine?

3) If you have been driving and activated HALO, is there a way to unlock the boot without turning off the engine? (i.e. when stopping to pick up a passenger)

Sorry, if these seem trivial - I am REALLY happy with the car and these are just things I have on my mind to consider before booking my 4 week service/check-up.

2)
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
3) ... is there a way to unlock the boot without turning off the engine? (i.e. when stopping to pick up a passenger)

You want to unlock the boot. When you stop. To pick up a passenger :eek:

I'm glad I'm not one of your passengers :lol:

No answer for your problems mate, but welcome to the club :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

We have had a diesel i30 and that did have a slight shake through the pedal at idle when cold but neither The wife or I have noticed it in her 2.0 Ltr Petrol CW...

If your i30 is struggling a bit to accelerate up inclines between 20 and 60 kph I would assume it is an auto? Being only a 4 speed transmission you can catch it out if the revs arent right (as we found when we drove a fairly new rental one recently)

Trish's Petrol manual is quite zippy in most circumstances.. either way it should improve in time...

Glad you are pleased with your car so far  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline veridical

• 1st Gear
Thanks for all the replies. I will just relax and enjoy my new toy!
  • i30 SLX 2.0 Petrol MY11

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal