i30 Owners Club

Fuel Gauge appears to be stuck.

bustacapp · 20 · 16010

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
Hi there. I am the proud owner of a 2010 1.4 lx

So today when my fuel was running low the petrol light came on as it should. I put some petrol in and when I restarted the car, the perol light was still on, the gauge hadn't moved, and the trip computer still said I had no miles left. The car still thinks it's empty. I had a quick glance at the manual and couldn't find any references to fuses that may be at fault.

What could this be? And would a Hyundai dealer repair it under the 5 year warranty?

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Of course he would, if the car is MY2010 it's under warranty, stop worrying and take it to the dealership.  Might be a fuse or a stuck gauge, probably not much ECU reset...  of course I have no idea what I am talking about.  But I do know that the warranty is well supported so don't worry.

good luck
Asa

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How much did you put in?

If it was only a small amount, say a gallon /4.5 litres, then there may not have been enough to raise the float above the low fuel level activation point.

I know that for some cars, like the loan car I had recently, it takes a few miles for the gauge to recalibrate before the needle raises.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

I've put enough in. Trust me.

I'd be taking it back to dealers to get them to sort it out.

I think you get access to the fuel tank electrics from under the rear seat.  But don't try and sort it out as any work done by an unathorised person will void the warranty.

So until it's fixed you can work out your consumption as you wont want to run out of fuel.  I'd err on the side of caution with MPG and take a lower figure than normal just to be safe.

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
I've put enough in. Trust me.

I'd be taking it back to dealers to get them to sort it out.

I think you get access to the fuel tank electrics from under the rear seat.  But don't try and sort it out as any work done by an unathorised person will void the warranty.

So until it's fixed you can work out your consumption as you wont want to run out of fuel.  I'd err on the side of caution with MPG and take a lower figure than normal just to be safe.

I'll be giving them a ring next week. Gonna have to use a local one where I work as there isn't a dealer in my town. Shocking that something like this can happen. I'm losing faith in the Hyundai reliability reputation.  What I'll have to do is fill the cr right up and just keep toping it up each week until it's fixed.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Just had another thought.

Take the fuel filler cap off and as you do listen to see if you hear a whoosh of air.

A vacuum might have developed during refueling which is causing the "float" to stick.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd be tempted to drive briskly over a speed bump, or let the rear drop sharply off a kerb
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'd be tempted to drive briskly over a speed bump, or let the rear drop sharply off a kerb

:happydance: And if that doesn't work.....get a bigger hammer. :goodjob2:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi bustacapp and welcome to the forum...

I'm losing faith in the Hyundai reliability reputation.

:Shocked:  Isn't that a bit harsh unless you have had sveral ongoing problems? The new Hyundais from the i30 onwards are proving very reliable overall.. This is the first time I have even heard of this issue so please try and be a little bit forgiving  :confused:

I agree with Shambles suggestion...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Bustacapp

If this is the worst problem you have had/will have with your car, than be happy and remember that you can get it fixed for free.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
that's a very minor fault IMO,it may correct its self the next time you start the car.  :idea:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
Hi bustacapp and welcome to the forum...

I'm losing faith in the Hyundai reliability reputation.

:Shocked:  Isn't that a bit harsh unless you have had sveral ongoing problems? The new Hyundais from the i30 onwards are proving very reliable overall.. This is the first time I have even heard of this issue so please try and be a little bit forgiving  :confused:

I agree with Shambles suggestion...

I don't think it harsh to be disappointed when a car that is not even 2 years old and claims to be very reliable breaks. I've also had bother with the suspension making a clunking sound over speed bumps.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't think it harsh to be disappointed when a car that is not even 2 years old and claims to be very reliable breaks. I've also had bother with the suspension making a clunking sound over speed bumps.

Fair enough, but these seem fairly minor compared to what you would expect to regularly see on Ford, Vauxhall or even VW forums.. The clunk over speed humps has also been discussed on here (all suggested causes were fairly minor) - hopefully we can help sort that as well  :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Every car that I have owned has had something go "wrong" with it (from clutch failure to blown bulb).  IMO this is a minor problem (it doesn't affect safety or driveability) and will be fixed under warranty.

Offline bustacapp

• 2nd Gear
Well strangely today the car seems to have fixed itself. I noticed the fuel gauge was rising VERY slowly until it eventually ended up where it should be. The 'miles left until you run out' odometer was still saying 0 miles left. After I went to the petrol station to throw in an extra tenners worth it all was working again!!

VERY strange.

And even stranger is that the 'clonking' noise from the suspension seems to have vanished of the last couple of days. Could that be something to do with the warmer weather we've had just recently?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
And even stranger is that the 'clonking' noise from the suspension seems to have vanished of the last couple of days. Could that be something to do with the warmer weather we've had just recently?

Nope. It's because you joined this forum :P

Glad it's sorted. See? We told you so :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
sorted.  :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
IMO... Aimed at no-one in particular...

No manufacturer can claim 100% reliability.
Hyundai are so sure of their product they give 5 - 7 years Warranty... they'll carry that weight for a Customer. There will be some things that break... naturally.

But to heave that statement in here :-
"I'm losing faith in the Hyundai reliability reputation." is a bit silly (minding my language here) Has the car stranded you? Set fire? Got filled with rainwater? Failed to start at any time?
No... it may have a dodgy fuel gauge & had something rattle a bit... after 2 years...

Well sod me the whole thing is rubbish... isnt it...

Sorry for the rant but do get real huh?  :goodjob2:  :sweating:  :scared:

• Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
 :whsaid: :baps:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal