i30 Owners Club

Either good or bad (or both) news you'd like to share with us

meehalych · 5194 · 1182168

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Its cold and raining and its night here and the high beam lights on the GD are useless as tits on a bull........I only hope that Hyundai put a bit of extra time in there R&D for better quality lights........

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Its cold and raining and its night here and the high beam lights on the GD are useless as tits on a bull........I only hope that Hyundai put a bit of extra time in there R&D for better quality lights........
What makes them so bad? Out of focus or just not bright enough?

I know my FD has a good throw, I wonder why Hyundai went backwards with the GD :question:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'm quite pleased with my high beams, cant say much for the low's though.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
just not bright enou9g to light up the street and see those people in dark clothing  that are just about to step out in front of you.......do you realize it is harder to see things when it is wet and raining , compared to a dry night.....

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
do you realize it is harder to see things when it is wet and raining , compared to a dry night.....
You're only down the road from me, I think we're driving in the same bad weather :winker: I was driving around in the darkness of Dardanup and Collie late last night in the rain without any problems.

Possibly you are due to replace your HB bulbs :undecided:, they weaken considerably after some time and then they blow eventually.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I was taking a shortcut tonight from Rocko Hospital thru Cooloongup and Waikiki and it was hard on the eyes...putting on highbeam  hardly made any impression on the surroundings and low beam HID's  just as bad.....

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@Neptune, all I can suggest is trying some new high beam bulbs, you could go to a brighter bulb but the life will be shortened.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
do you realize it is harder to see things when it is wet and raining , compared to a dry night.....
You're only down the road from me, I think we're driving in the same bad weather :winker: I was driving around in the darkness of Dardanup and Collie late last night in the rain without any problems.

Possibly you are due to replace your HB bulbs :undecided:, they weaken considerably after some time and then they blow eventually.

Might be John's eyes... They are not getting any younger either ..  :whistler:

Interestingly, I think adjustment of lights makes more difference than people realise. I have driven rental FD i30's that appeared to have better lights than our first FD (which was pretty poor) I assumed it was adjustment.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Cataracts  :whistler:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Cataracts  :whistler:

No...no...no..... my night vision is unnaturally super great...my squad commander and doctors think I am a freak in this area...

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Must be all the carrots.  :snigger: Try and keep it that way.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Yes, but you're supposed to eat them.   :rolleyes:   :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, but you're supposed to eat them.   :rolleyes:   :lol:

Now...now....Dave...I try and do my best..... :winker:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
One of the great propaganda stories of WW2, which carried on well after the war, was that eating carrots helped improve your night vision.  While carrots contain Vitamin A, which assists with vision, the reason that the story arose was to hide the use of RADAR from the Germans.  RAF pilots were directed to incoming German aircraft by the new RADAR technology, and to hide this fact from the Germans, the story was published that the reason the RAF could see the German aircraft at night was due to the RAF pilots eating lots of carrots.  It became so popular that people in the UK grew more carrots to assist.

:link: Carrots & Night Vision ? News in Science (ABC Science)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I was never impressed with the stock lights on my two FD's, but stuck with them ( always blowing globes too. that was only let down. but for city they are ok. country boys need better.

before Hyundai i had owned two falcon utes one 6 one V8 , both stock factory lights left the i30 for dead, Holdens are the same come with great stock headlights, maybe Korea has strong street lights or floodlights?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, I find my low beam to be quite poor in wet weather conditions.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hmmmm...either I'm the only one who finds the headlights amazing or my previous car's lights really sucked :rolleyes:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmmmm...either I'm the only one who finds the headlights amazing or my previous car's lights really sucked :rolleyes:

Same here, but my previous car was a 19 y/o with the headlight glass sandblasted due to wear and tear, so I also find the i30 lights really good...  :goodjob2:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No mate.  I reckon they're great,  too. Have said so many times on here.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I thought the my FD's headlights were great as well, particularly when driving home late at night on dark Tasmanian roads.  It must be said though, when I was on the road, not many other people were, and my lights were on high beam (and using fog lights when required).

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Probably had yours focused a bit higher, mine seemed low & never adjusted as i saw how a small load put rear down and lights would go higher. once i had an i30 FD following me at night, his or her lights were focus high & they were very bright , i slowed to let them pass but no they stuck tail gating for about 100k or more till turned off, we were not going fast just at speed limit, was not road rage or anything, but pain I'm butt. so after that incident i never attempted to alter mine. still were never as good as the Falcon's stock lights that were also very easy to adjust. the old Toyota ute i have now lights are no better than the hyundai but it has flood lights on bull bar. great for the bush not needed in city.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm quite happy with my headlights...but then again, I've swapped out the original globes for better ones and also adjusted the headlight height..  :goodjob:

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
- I received a phone call from my mum, she said my dad wasn't well (there is a super bad strain of the flu going around) and asked me to try and convince him to go see a doctor for a second opinion. Naturally I overreact, drop my work and fly down to Port Alfred only to find that mother dearest was also overreacting a bit and that the old man isn't on his death bed as I thought. He still hasn't fully recovered and he is eating very poorly, but it seems like it's getting better.
+ Hippo got me to Port Alfred in record time, and I think after today I can just as well go for my pilot's license and get it over and done with.
- In my haste I didn't pack any clothes and I've decided to spend the night on the farm, so I'm wearing all my old farm clothes that have been delegated for farm use.
+ Dad said he would try and make it to his aunt's funeral tomorrow in Aberdeen (not the Scottish one, that is way too far!), so if all goes well we leave at 5:00 tomorrow morning to get there by 11:00. He initially wanted to go but was too weak to drive, so I offered to take him there and back tomorrow.
+ I finally bit the bullet and bought myself a new pair of sneakers, something I've been promising myself for the last year! My current ones have done duty for the last 6 years and they really are showing it!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I enjoy your posts Phil (always entertaining!)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
+ At the very least, I cannot say I've had a boring life thus far. It's been quite the ride, the good with the bad :goodjob2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

+ At the very least, I cannot say I've had a boring life thus far. It's been quite the ride, the good with the bad :goodjob2:

:MeToo:

3 wives
2 daughters
about 10 different jobs (many in different industries)
30 cars (including 17 brand new ones)
8 houses (including 4 that I designed and had built)

and I'm not 60 yet!

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
3 wives
2 daughters
about 10 different jobs (many in different industries)
30 cars (including 17 brand new ones)
8 houses (including 4 that I designed and had built)

and I'm not 60 yet!

3 wives?  Didn't you learn the first time?
2 daughters?  Didn't you find out what caused them and stop doing it?  Or is it payback for your life as a playboy with three wives?
10 different jobs?  Couldn't find one that supported your 3 wives, 2 daughters and various girlfriends?
30 cars?  You'll eventually find one that you like.
8 houses?  Do you have to give them to your ex-wives?

:whistler:

Just jokes, Dazz.   :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

All good Jamie.. No wonder some days I call myself spent! :p :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal