i30 Owners Club

center console dash fix (pictures later)

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey guys

I've seen a few threads about dash and console rattles with the current gen i30s

There are things all over the net talking about similar sounding rattles.  My car rattled from the day it was delivered at my dealer.  I've seen some people had trouble figuring out where it came from or what was doing it.

It came from the center console, somewhere within it, behind the cd player screen.  It happened on rough roads and with temperature changes (cold start, then turn heater on down the road, or if the sun is on the dash and I turn the A/C on etc)

Had become increasingly annoying as it would happen at the same spot in the rev range each tiem I drove it.  The onyl problem I have with the car atm. So I was itching to fix it.

I got the little containment thing on the top out (another thread shows photos how, 4 screws under the rubber insert), and that gave me access to the top of the CD player chassis and clips to remove the entire console/fascia. I found the top of the CD player chassis was the problem.  Between what you might call the roof, or top of the chassis and the face of the player, there was a 1mm gap.  It is in close proximity to the vent tubes so no wonder temperature affected it.

Running across the top of the CD player in my car was a white plastic frame, it had hles in it for the 4 screws that held down the storage compartment on top of the dash.  There was a 1 or 2cm gap between the bottom of this frame and the top of the CD player

I simply filled this gap with a few rolls of cotton cloth and taped it all up, and made some cotton washers for all of the screws I had access too.  I should note a few of the screws had been stripped pretty bad by whoever assembled it and weren't sticking in right so I replaced them.  The rolls of cloth wedged in the gap pressed the CD player chassis roof down, and stopped it moving.  The cotton washers on all the screws and some clips have made the whole thing completely silent.

Just something to look into if you're like me and you have the same annoying rattle.  Really simple fix.  Just don't use too much cloth or rubber or whatever material you use to wedge the CD player frame down because it might cause thermal issues

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I haven't had this issue but thanks for sharing the fix  :goodjob2:

P.S. Love the avatar  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks kabukiman .... Often the noise comes from the glovebox lid too and this can be fixed with some rubber or felt pads to make the lid a tighter fit  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Well done :goodjob2: Now send your fix off to Hyundai
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
lol in my experience you are better off doing something like this yourself, even if it is covered by warranty.

No tech will spend as much time nor care as you would on your own vehicle.  They also have not lived with a rattle like in this instance, all they'd have to go on is my description and perhaps a quick test drive.

Or maybe it's just my past with Ford.  Every trip to a dealer for rattles was met with 'it's fine' (when I get back in the car the radio is on full blast from the test drive...) or they'v adjusted something I never said was a problem.  Like when my handbrake cover was loose they tightened a seat belt adjuster...

Small cosmetic things too I'm a firm believer you should handle yourself.  Ford dealers often damage cars, my interior got ruined by some careless prick and it took 3 months to get only a tiny bit of it repaired properly.

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
Thanks kabukiman, perhaps this is the source of my rattle. It has been over 2 years.
This problem is just too tiny that dealer won't try their effort on it, and just said everything's fine.
It will be perfect if there's the photos. :goodjob2:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Will have to check if this is what causing all that rattles in my car as well.

I do like my i30 but I'm disappointed about all the rattle in it.  :disapp:

Thanks for shearing your solution.  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline kabukiman

• 3rd Gear
  • apricot herder

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
sorry guys the photos I took on my phone didn't save properly and I can't upload them.

I will be removing the storage thingy again to make sure the cloth rolls are still in place some time but until then can't give you a photo

It's really simple however - if you pop open the storage compartment on top of your dash/center console, there should be a rubber slip mat in the bottom.  It comes out, and under it you should see two screws.  There are another two screws just out of your view in the near side of the compartment.  Unscrew each of them, then pull on the handle of the lid release and the whole box pops out.  It needs a good tug

then you have access to the top of the CD player and the support structure around it.  There's a few screws holding the CD player and suff in place.  It's all pretty simple

The shit is greasey though so don't touch it and then your windscreen or you'll have a PITA of a time cleaning it

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
Thanks for the follow up, kubikiman.

I've had the top cubby hole out before and you're right, it's pretty bloody simple.

Hopefully you've solved a problem a lot of members have experienced.

Well done :goodjob2:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Well, I think this thread jinxed my baby as it's developed a buzzy noise in the dash which I suspect is coming from this very spot.

Probably my own fault though as I'd jammed something in the cubby to stop the lid jiggling up and down while I had the suction mount for my camera stuck to it.   :(

So, looks like I might have to try this cure....  :undecided:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal