i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just ordered an i30 trophy this mod is up the top of my list to do

:goodjob:  :welcum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I just ordered an i30 trophy this mod is up the top of my list to do
:wttc:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I noticed the i30 tourers have the drls on them are they factory fitted
  • I30 trophy

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I noticed the i30 tourers have the drls on them are they factory fitted

Yep, they're standard in all tourer models.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
GD Tourers are manufactured in Europe, which is why the DRL's are fitted standard. Note also, the rear suspension is similar the the FD model, not torsion bar as per the Korean manufactured i30 hatch.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
So if you own a tourer  and need a replacment fog light could u get one straight from Hyundai
  • I30 trophy

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, if you owned the same model and type of vehicle, OTHERWISE IT WOULDN'T FIT. :winker:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I think all the new i30 models have the exact same front bumper, regardless of country, which means all types of foglights (with or without LED) should still fit. I got a the foglight with LED from korea and fits fine on my i30 active. It's genuine hyundai part because they use it in all i30 series in korea and i doubt they make variations from different series because it will add on to manufacturing costs. I compared my old foglight with the new foglight with DRL, it's exactly the same except the bulb that comes with it has higher ratings than my (aussie) one, different brand too. I even think the US i30 foglights can fit on our versions as well as europeans. BUT, if you use foglights from other models, like accent, elantra etc, it won't be the same.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@rickai

Did you have to modify / add any wiring, at all.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
@rickai

Did you have to modify / add any wiring, at all.

Yea I have to add an extra relay(which comes with wiring and stuff) like it was outlined by members in this thread. But if you have a tourer, i'm pretty sure there'll be an extra wire made ready for the DRL so if you were to replace the foglight, you just replace the foglight, no extra wiring needed, or if you were to get rid of the DRL and replace it with normal foglight, just dont use the DRL wire. But if you were to upgrade from normal foglight to DRL foglight, yes, you will definitely need to add an extra wiring.

Offline Villa_23

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
So in theory you should be able to buy the touring drls from a dealer
  • I30 trophy

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
So in theory you should be able to buy the touring drls from a dealer

You should be able to but why would you do that? They would definitely overcharge you, and i doubt they will install it for you.

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
We bought a new i30 Elite in November and I was quite disappointed that they didn't have DRLs fitted and that there was no option for them.

I've been following this discussion for a while and decided to buy some fog lights with DRLs as fitted to the European spec cars.

I looked at all I could see on Ebay and in the end I bought them from a seller called "FINEDAYSHOP"

I bought them on March 21st and they arrived on April 1st. Postage was free and very quick.

They're well packaged in Hyundai packaging with Hyundai part numbers. They seem to be manufactured by a company called Hyundai Mobis who produce OEM parts for Korean cars.

I've had a good look at them and they appear to be the genuine item.

I'm still waiting for the relay kit to arrive but having read about people saying that they seemed dim, I connected them up to a 12v supply. They both worked fine and seem bright enough. I turned the fog light on and they're clearly visible and brighter than the foglight although they won't be on when the lights are on when fitted to the car.

I'll reserve judgement till they're fitted.

Watch this space for the next episode...
  • 2014 MY i30 Elite Manual Hatch. Dazzling Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds promising Dave. We will await your updates with interest :goodjob:

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi Dave and all,

My MY14 Trophy will arrive next week, and having read this thread for awhile, already, I am so keen to install this DRL unto it. I am pretty confidence that I should be able to follow the step-by-step guide, just need a few confirmation.

1. I will also buy from the seller "FINEDAYSHOP". Just to confirm that this is the one: Genuine Parts DRL Fog Light Lamp Fog Lamp Cover Fit Hyundai 2012 2013 I30 | eBay

2. What is a 'one-click cable connector' and where can I purchase one? I tried to google for it, but it came up with many different things but none of them was correct, I think.

Thanks all...

We bought a new i30 Elite in November and I was quite disappointed that they didn't have DRLs fitted and that there was no option for them.

I've been following this discussion for a while and decided to buy some fog lights with DRLs as fitted to the European spec cars.

I looked at all I could see on Ebay and in the end I bought them from a seller called "FINEDAYSHOP"

I bought them on March 21st and they arrived on April 1st. Postage was free and very quick.

• MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: kimmie
2. What is a 'one-click cable connector' ...

Possibly one of these in this pic...?

Holiday Jobs
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Thanks Shambles, but unfortunately I still don't get it.

What I understand from Marty's guide was, I need to make a 'T' connection between the 'orange' headlight cable and the 'white' one from the Daytime Running Light DRL Relay Harness Auto CAR Control ON OFF Switch 12V |. So can I just simply 'strip' a small section of the 'headlight' cable and then connect the 'white' cable into it, then heat-sink them?

Thanks again...

Possibly one of these in this pic...?

Holiday Jobs

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
That is basically what the cable connector does, kimmie....

You simply open the connector up, slip it over the wire you're tapping in to then place the other wire into the other channel (which is closed on one end) in the connector. You then close the connector and the steel blades cut through the insulation and make contact with the inner wire.

Much less mucking around.....  :goodjob:

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi rustynutz,

Thanks for the explanation, although I'm still not 100% sure I understand or know what you are referring about. Sorry. :-)
I will make a quick visit to SuperCheapAuto tomorrow and see if they are selling this 'one click cable connector'.

That is basically what the cable connector does, kimmie....

You simply open the connector up, slip it over the wire you're tapping in to then place the other wire into the other channel (which is closed on one end) in the connector. You then close the connector and the steel blades cut through the insulation and make contact with the inner wire.

Much less mucking around.....  :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Remember kimmie, these clips are a single use connector, so be very sure the wire in the blanked end is fully pushed in as you squeeze the blade onto the wires. (the coloured wire in Rusty's photo, not the black one). Use pliers to squeeze the  blade into the wire and then fold the locking clip over the whole thing and you're done. Do NOT strip any insulation, it's not necessary and the joiner will not join properly.

Offline Dave M

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Berwick, Vic
In England we call them Scotchlock connectors. They've been around for years and are very simple to use and work well.

I always wrap insulation tape around them to keep water out once the connection is made.

Kimmie, they're the ones I bought.  :goodjob:
  • 2014 MY i30 Elite Manual Hatch. Dazzling Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Recently, I bought some self amalgamating tape. Must say, very impressed with it. It doesn't use adhesive, and as long as you wrap it around so it overlaps under tension, it fuses to itself over 24 hrs to form a watertight rubber seal. Look on u tube for examples.

eBay listing

Electrovision Black 19MMX10M Self Amalgamating Tape | eBay

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi rustynutz,

Thanks for the explanation, although I'm still not 100% sure I understand or know what you are referring about. Sorry. :-)
I will make a quick visit to SuperCheapAuto tomorrow and see if they are selling this 'one click cable connector'.
Make sure you get the right size to match the wire.  Too small you may cut through some of the wire.  Too large and it only goes through the insulation.  Some sites don't recommend them, e.g. Tapping and splicing wires
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good advice thanks tla, That sounds like good stuff Phil!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Hi Dave and all,

My MY14 Trophy will arrive next week, and having read this thread for awhile, already, I am so keen to install this DRL unto it. I am pretty confidence that I should be able to follow the step-by-step guide, just need a few confirmation.

1. I will also buy from the seller "FINEDAYSHOP". Just to confirm that this is the one: Genuine Parts DRL Fog Light Lamp Fog Lamp Cover Fit Hyundai 2012 2013 I30 | eBay

2. What is a 'one-click cable connector' and where can I purchase one? I tried to google for it, but it came up with many different things but none of them was correct, I think.

Thanks all...

Everyone here has pretty much answered this. I too struggled abit finding what this is but eventually I just took the question to bunnings and found some connectors to do the job. I think the connector was abit loose so the connection wasn't well established, had to wrap few extra wires around it to make it thicker and after connecting it, wrapped it over and over again with duck tape. It works fine for now but I think the duck tape doesn't go too well with heat. Will eventually need to fix this. My cables are everywhere as well, I think i'll need to make a small box or something to hide all the cables. Right now the relay is sitting near the fusebox. I gotta say, hyundai makes good use of their space, almost impossible to fit anything big in there!

Edit: Oh and uhh I prefer tla's method, those connectors are pretty annoying to use.

Phil, those tapes looks pretty good, how well does that go with heat? Is that the same thing that hyundai use for wrapping around the electricals in our cars?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 00:02:28 by rickai »

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The tape becomes rubber effectively and is used in electrical applications. That said, it is NOT silicone and shouldn't be subjected to excessive heat. Anywhere in an engine bay, away from hot exhaust and the engine itself should be fine. It is used to seal water pipes too, so it's ideal for locations where water may splash, which is what I bought it for.

The 10m roll will last ages, as it doesn't become sticky until is is stretched, so you only use about 50% of what you would normally use with insulating tape.

Don't know if Hy use it.

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
I might get some of those too, the internet says up to 100 degrees C, so it should be alright. It also says it becomes difficult to cut or get rid of when it age. I guess have to becareful when I use it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal