i30 Owners Club

Reverse Parking Sensors

Luke · 22 · 12399

Offline Luke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hello All.

We have just picked up our new i30. Everything seems to be in order. However I was looking through our paperwork and the information for the reverse sensors doesn't seem to have the Hyundai part numbers. How can I tell if the dealer has fitted the factory part and not some third party product? :'(

I have four sensors, is their meant to be 3?

Does anybody have some photos of the Hyundai sensors?

Thanks,
A very worried
Luke

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I'm under the impression there's supposed to be 4, and I know someone who frequents the forum has them, can't remember who, they should post soon enough.

Offline Luke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Hi Luke,

I also had the reverse park sensors fitted by my dealer as part of the original order.
I think that all dealers have them fitted by a third party, after they receive the car,
and I have an idea there is no actual Hyundai factory fit available here.

There is an online accessories catalogue that mentions the sensors, but doesn't show a clear pic of them.

http://www.hyundai.com.au/vehicles/i30/downloads/i30_specsheetaccess.pdf

You can see the sensors in my car at the Diesel Photos section under "Seoul-Mates i30"

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1714.0.html

I also have 4 fitted.

I gotta say that compared to the previous car I had ( 2004 VZ Calais ) the sensors fitted to my i30 are
not that effective and somewhat unreliable when reversing........ie. I don't have full faith in them when I reverse !!

Russ
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My UK model has 3 sensors and I have found them to be if anything over sensitive :biggrin:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yup, 3 on Fergie too.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

so maybe there was an issue with Hyundai arranging their own ones, and Aussie dealers have been told to arrange them from 3rd parties until Hyundai can fix up something... Maybe call Hyundai Australia and ask them what is happening?

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I have factory fitted sensors, and they are 3.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
this is how the aftermarket sensor looks like :

the factory fitted is smaller.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The factory fitted is also flush with the bumper so does not stick out like the aftermarket ones.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The factory fitted is also flush with the bumper so does not stick out like the aftermarket ones.

(and colour coded on the Premiums!)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
 :evil:     My reverse sensors of my i30 fitted in NSW, are useless and on reporting this to the dealer they admitted fitting an after market kit for price sake.  They then had fitted by their contracor a complete replacement, but just as bad!
        The trouble is that except on a smooth black hot mix road surface, the sensor squawks continuously.
            A road base surface, such as on rural roads and parking areas sets the sensors off and it took me a while to discover this. So it will be back to either the contractor or dealership.
           I am dissappointed that I was not informed of getting after market and may not have accepted this at any price saving.
             My previous car had factory fitted reverse sensors which were a joy to use and I think the best invention since the windscreen wiper!
           Merry XMAS from Dave

Pip
Doesn't sound good... I hope mine (after-market) prove to be better.

So far so good but I've never had them before and still working out whether they work as expected.  They do go off when passing a pole etc that clearly I'm not going to touch but this seems to be a good thing... better than not realising it's there.

One thing I've noticed is that the after-market jobs appear to have four sensors and the real deal have three, and those that have four have them in a variety of positions (heights).  Mine are all on the upper half of the bumper... I've no idea where the optimum position might be but this variation with position and number might perhaps point to a reason why some are ok and others not.

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
i have 4 parking sensors, with a display on the dash, they're aftermarket, but given as a gift by hyundai because i should have had them stock

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Dave, I'd write a letter to Hyundai mate. That's just not on - they falsely represented Hyundai, and they've done it with a substandard product. Hyundai should offer some assistance.

Offline Luke

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I asked Hyundai Australia, via the website, and they were less than helpful. "Contact the dealer" was what I got told...

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I asked Hyundai Australia, via the website, and they were less than helpful. "Contact the dealer" was what I got told...
This I'm afraid is a normal response for most companies faced with a complaint via the email Q&A service. They probably have a team of customer service operators who have set scripting to answer your questions with. Complaints only get forwarded on to managers/PR the second/third time. Reply to their email with something along the lines of "Thanks for your response, unfortunately the dealership already failed to provide me with the Hyundai/factory-installed sensors that I believed I was paying for, and I'm not willing to have them attempt to 'cost-cut' any further. Please forward my concerns to your manager if you cannot assist me, thank you."

Following this, if they still send you stock reply, contact the ACCC. Their phone number is listed on their website, and they'll advise you how to approach the matter. Normally they'll recommend you sending a complaint via snail-mail, both to the dealership and Hyundai, outlining your problem and how you'd like the issue resolved.
Be persistent.

Pip

This is what I would expect because the dealer had the sensors fitted by a third party which leaves Hyundai out of the picture.  The dealer would be the avenue to resolving any problem because your "contract" was with them - you talk to the dealer and they talk to the third party on your behalf.

You will be unlikely to get any hearing unless you can convincingly demonstrate that they don't perform up to a reasonable expectation based on either documentation or what was said to you verbally.  I think you are also entitled to expect a level of performance based on clearly implied performance even if not actually written down or said - for instance something sold as "rear parking sensors" implies that they can detect something behind your car before you run into it!  Can you back into a witches hat without it being detected?  If so that would be convincing I imagine.

If it comes down to defining what a reasonable expectation is, you will probably already be pursuing your claim with the ACCC on the grounds that the sensors are not of "merchantable quality".  Essentially, as I said above, they don't do what they were sold to do.

The question of whether the dealer failed to identify who made the sensors and led you to believe that you were getting an Hyundai option is a secondary issue that still would need be pursued with the dealer but what do you hope to gain there?  I suspect pushing this line will not be to your advantage.  You already have them and just need to make them work. 

In my case, there was never any suggestion that the sensors would be genuine and I just assumed they would work and they do.  If they didn't, I'd be doing what I expect you will.

Firm but always polite (no matter how difficult) should be your approach.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

Pip's right, you can probably only get this rectified through Hyundai if they were aware that the dealership was taking this route with their sensor installations. But, Hyundai can put in a word for you to the dealership, which might make that dealership a little more eager to help.

Offline Dave

• 2nd Gear
 :evil:     Well I have had the after market kit replaced and still mostly useless!   It was replaced by the Hyundai contractor, who did find a crushed wire with the original installation.
           However the same make of sensor was fitted, but still is unresponsive to folk walking past the rear of the car and strangely goes crazy on very bright hot sunny days and under high voltage power lines.
            I have noticed in accessory shops at least 3 different brands of after market sensor kits and maybe another brand maybe perform satisfactorily.
             After having to travel a 100 k round trip to have the replacement fitted, I thought there may have been a follow up call from the dealer. But I think they don't want to know anything about it?
     Happy New Year from Dave
         I

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

It does seem like you're having a bad run, Dave. No fault of the car, but dealers in general: once they have their commission, they stop giving a rats bum about you. There aren't many dealers out there that are experienced and well-travelled enough to realise the benefit of repeat business. You'll have to give them another call and complain again. Maybe them that you're going to return the car and want your money back?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal