i30 Owners Club

Outside air temp

SPman · 44 · 11767

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

• 2018 i30 SR Man. - Blue
We have a new old I30 CW Crdi - the SX model,but with cruise control, rear sensors, window tint ,etc. (need that tint - West Aus summers can be harsh) For the first 3-4 days, the outside air temp was on the radio display, and appeared to be working perfectly OK, then suddenly decided to sit at -40C!
 OK - 1500k service (8 days later), we have it checked out and it comes back with a reset display and no  OAT. Apparently that model is not meant to have one say the service dept - only the Elite model - which was news to the salesman, as he also saw it working perfectly OK when we picked it up!
So - does the base model have an o.a.t. and if there was no sensor installed, as the service dept said, why did  it work OK for several days...?

Anyway, apart from that, it goes well - after adjusting to the diesel driving style. The only thing I'd change is first gear ratio, which seems lower than first in my Hiace diesel! And 6th is a "use over 80k" gear, but we can live with that.

3 weeks and 3000k and we are averaging 5.9-6.0 l/100km with a mix of 70% country/30% suburban/city driving at "brisk" speeds.
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
My daughter's 2008 hatch has the o.a.t. display  :rolleyes:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm not sure why, but this is ringing a bell.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone else lost that function too after a reset by the dealership... :question:
Can anyone else recall?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have an SLX. After the radio was replaced due to a fault, it lost the outside temperature function which they fixed by a firmware update of the radio.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Con .. I thought there was a fix ...

SPman tell them Politely to fix it .. My wife's MY11 CW SX has it (annoys me they try to pull the wool over your eyes)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I have the same age/model as Dazz's other half, also with temp readout working just fine, even after a warranty replacement of the radio unit. The service department at that dealer is telling you bullshit.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

I have the same age/model as Dazz's other half, also with temp readout working just fine, even after a warranty replacement of the radio unit. The service department at that dealer is telling you bullshit.
John Hughes, Perth.
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

John Hughes, Perth.

Well you can direct them to this forum now and tell them they are wrong.  :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Or try Morley Hyundai citing incompetence over at JH.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone else lost that function too after a reset by the dealership... :question:
Can anyone else recall?

your right Dave , it was me. I had a big argument with hyundai about this as I have the Trophy. So the dealer turned off the reading at the first service as he said that the SX does not come with that option

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Can anyone else recall?

your right Dave , it was me. I had a big argument with hyundai about this as I have the Trophy. So the dealer turned off the reading at the first service as he said that the SX does not come with that option

Thanks, I thought I remembered it.  :goodjob2:

• Tertius the i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Can anyone else recall?

IIRC Someone had a fix to get Bluetooth working, and that's when it disappeared.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
IIRC Someone had a fix to get Bluetooth working, and that's when it disappeared.

So was the loss of OAT a direct result of gaining BT or are they unrelated? Are you describing an either/or scenario?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So was the loss of OAT a direct result of gaining BT or are they unrelated? Are you describing an either/or scenario?

Some dealers have suggested an either/or situation but it has been proven on here that you can have both (Firmware related as far as I am aware)

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

Can anyone else recall?

Thanks, I thought I remembered it.  :goodjob2:
Yup - that's what happened to us - said there was no sensor fitted!
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

Well - after long and protracted (lack of) communications with sundry parties, my wife got the following email yesterday
Dear M.......

Thank you for your call today and I do apologise that I could not get this resolved quicker for you.

I have spoken to Murray the Service Manager at John Hughes and asked him to contact you to arrange a time to have the temperature sensor turned on in your vehicle.

I can advise that your i30 is fitted with the necessary sensors to measure the outside temperature and your audio unit has the ability to display the temperature, it is probable that this feature was mistakenly turned off at your last service, the dealer will need to make the necessary adjustments to the setting to switch this feature back on.
"mistakenly" turned off....pfffft!
Hyundai Aus reckon that some models are fitted with sensors and some are not - it depends when the car was manufactured.....?? Apparently our car has got all the sensors, etc.
Seems a bit Mickey Mouse to me....however.......
Anyway, we'll see what happens next............
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Some service places are definitely miss-named  :fum:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i thought the trophy edition with the bluetooth in the head unit lost the outside temp due to the bluetooth function.  :confused:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

i thought the trophy edition with the bluetooth in the head unit lost the outside temp due to the bluetooth function.  :confused:

Turned out that was a furphy.. can be fixed with firmware I think  :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Turned out that was a furphy.. can be fixed with firmware I think  :goodjob:

Never heard that word in my life. For the benefit of other poms here is the definition :-

A furphy, also commonly spelled furfie, is Australian slang for a rumour, or an erroneous or improbable story. The word is derived from water carts designed and made by a company established by John Furphy: J. Furphy & Sons of Shepparton, Victoria. The steel and cast iron tanks were first made in the 1880s and were used on farms and by stock agents.[1] Many Furphy water carts were used to take water to Australian Army personnel during World War I in Australia, Europe and the Middle East.[1] The carts, with "J. Furphy & Sons" written on their tanks, became popular as gathering places where soldiers could exchange gossip, rumours and fanciful tales—much like today's water cooler discussion.

Another suggested explanation is that the rumbling of an approaching water cart sounded like the firing of artillery, thus causing a false alarm. It is also used to refer to a foolish mistake, although the etymology of that is uncertain.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^^^^^^^^
We done made some good words didn't we? :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

To add to Alans post we had an old Furphy water cart in our hedge as a decoration when I was a kid and it had this on the cast iron end plate ..

"Good, better, best.. Never let it Rest .. until your good is better and your better best" I still remember that after more than 40 years  :happydance:

As also mentioned here  :goodjob:

http://www.furphys.com.au/the-furphy-water-cart.html

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
eber must be another Oz word, wonder what it means  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

eber must be another Oz word, wonder what it means  :mrgreen:
I got excited when i remembered and typed it so quickly i missed a lot of letters out (fixed now)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:31:30 by Phil aka 84 »

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Pip
Chunder, is another Oz word too. :mrgreen:

If it was derived from the ships migrating from the old country then wouldn't it be a pommie word? Surely they weren't Australians until they got here. :confused:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As convicts, they were no longer considered British & pretty much without rights. They didn't sign any citizenship documents on arrival either.  :neutral:

Offline SPman

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NE of Perth

John
It's been three days now and nobody from John Hughes Workshops has been in touch with me about this (hate to say "I told you so"  but I did?).

Frankly I despair - if I hear nothing over the holiday period I will contact another hyundai dealer (hopefully one that actually PROVIDES customer service instead of just paying lip service to the concept) and arrange the warranty repair through them.
As you have been involved in this I'll refer them to you should there be any further problem with this.

Once again, thanks for all your help - it's appreciated

:foottap:
  • 2018 i30 SR Man.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal