i30 Owners Club

A Fighter Pilot’s Guide to Surviving on the Roads..(Very Good -Recommended Read)

Guest · 12 · 3114

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
What’s wrong with you - are you blind?!!

Who hasn’t formed these thoughts, or similar, at some point while cycling or driving?   
Probably in response to a vehicle that had just moved directly into your path - and you might congratulate yourself that only your alertness and superior reactions saved the day.  If you were cycling then I expect that you may have even shared your thoughts, loudly, with the offending driver, and if you were driving then I imagine that there would have been some accompaniment from the horn section.  Hopefully you were able to prevent the collision.

Now, before we go on, who can say that, at some point in their own driving history, they have not been about to manoeuvre - pull out from a T-junction, etc - when a car or bike seemed to come out of nowhere?  Hopefully, it was just a close shave, and no doubt quite frightening.  You may have wondered how you failed to see it, and probably concluded that they must have been driving ‘far too fast’ or you would have seen them.  Perhaps, on such an occasion, you were the recipient of that loud and urgent query, ‘Are you blind?!!’

Well, here’s the bad news - yes, you are.  For small but significant periods of time you are completely incapable of seeing anything at all.  Most of the time, as I shall explain, this is not a problem.  But if it means that you fail to see a vehicle that is just about to occupy the same point in space and time as you are - then this is a big problem!

The good news is that understanding why we sometimes do not see things allows us to adopt some defensive strategies that tip the odds back in our favour. 
This article then, is a fighter pilot’s survival guide to avoiding collisions...

To continue, click:link:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
An interesting read and the last part relating to watching the head of the driver of another car, this is something all advanced drivers do because you can pick up signals from their actions.

You can tell whether or not they have seen you.

Which is why I am opposed to dark window tint on the front windows. Many of the cars on the (Australian) roads today have such dark window tint that it's impossible to see inside and this is a safety risk IMO.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Very good Rusty (thanks) .. I recommend everybody read this right through.. A simple message but a very valuable one (which I will be sharing far and wide via Hotmail an Facebook)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :wtf:

This some sort of NY resolution, it's actually about the topic, I was expecting bikinis or the like  :Pout: :fum:

I'll read it soon  :winker: :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

OK Phil, just for you.
If the window tint is too dark, you can't see who is driving.

• Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think it's obligatory to present a well balanced view at all times. Young ladies like this drive cars too and in the interests of road safety it is our duty to observe their driving abilities for any signs of danger. Could it be that she intends to drive with feet outside the vehicle :exclaim:

Hope so,  :mrgreen:

Thanks Rusty.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rstnick

• 3rd Gear

• ca Canada
      Southern Ontario

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
An excellent article and very thought provoking.............
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I think it's obligatory to present a well balanced view at all times. Young ladies like this drive cars too and in the interests of road safety it is our duty to observe their driving abilities for any signs of danger. Could it be that she intends to drive with feet outside the vehicle :exclaim:

Hope so,  :mrgreen:

Thanks Rusty.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Thanks Rusty?  :confused:  Rusty?  :undecided:
It's a pleasure.
Signed: Dave (db08)  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline arx7

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Completely agree with the article.

Hate people who is looking on their mobile phone while driving. It's dangerous.
  • i30 GD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal