i30 Owners Club

High fuel consumption?

Offline Danielskantze

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
I just bought an i30 CRDi (2012) and have been driving it since yesterday. While it may be far too early to ask I was wondering about the fuel econony meter showing pretty high values, starting at 8.9 litres (now down to about 8.4).

I have only been driving short routes (2x8 km). The temperature is about 0 C and the roads are pretty snowy and bumpy.

I expected the consumption to be higher due to the weather but not this high. Is it normal?

/D
  • 1.6 CRDi 2012 (select)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum, Daniel.  :goodjob:
It's too early to tell. Get a few trips on it and take a look at what it is doing.
Is it an auto?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Daniel,

Cold weather and short trips are big enemies of good fuel economy.. in those conditions  you couldn't expect much better in my opinion...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Danielskantze

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Wow, thank you db08 and Dazzler for the nice welcome and the quick reply.

Ok then I know. I will keep my eye on it then.

Unfortunately I will most likely to most of these short trips when leaving the kids at school etc. so it is sort of a bummer. But still, my old Volvo 940 does consume twice as much under similar conditions so I am still pretty happy :)

/Daniel

• 1.6 CRDi 2012 (select)

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
 :welcome: Daniel ~
I believe your situation is pretty normal. If I drive it to work and back every day, I get 8.5L. But if I drive on the high way carefully for a longer distance, I get the best 4.2L. (Tests are based on re-seting the trip computer in advance.)

Offline peon2t

• 3rd Gear

• ch Switzerland
      Lucerne, Switzerland
I just bought an i30 CRDi (2012) and have been driving it since yesterday. While it may be far too early to ask I was wondering about the fuel econony meter showing pretty high values, starting at 8.9 litres (now down to about 8.4).

I have only been driving short routes (2x8 km). The temperature is about 0 C and the roads are pretty snowy and bumpy.

I have driven my 2012 i30 CRDI now for about 2500 km and I currently have fuel consumption of about 6.0 litres / 100 km. The temperatures here are about 0°C too and since I last reset the economy display I have been doing some urban driving but also about 50 km on the highway.

When it was even colder in december and I did even more urban driving, my consumption was about 7.0 litres / 100 km. But when it was a bit warmer back in october I averaged on about 5.5 in urban driving and 4.5 when driving mostly on the highway. (When reseting the display right before driving up the highway I had even lower values than 4.5. Highway driving in Switzerland means 120 km/h which equals a bit more than 2000rpm @ 6th gear by the way.)

So I guess you have to do a bit more driving before we can see how your economy performs compared to others.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi Daniel.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new car.. :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Welcome Danielskantze,

I would consider those figures to be perfectly normal, considering the length of trip, the temperature, new engine. Don't worry, when the weather gets better, take it for a nice motorway drive. It will do the engine a lot of good too.  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Danielskantze

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Thanks a lot for the replies. Sorry for being absent (been out driving instead  :happydance: )

I finally got the engine heater installed, hopefully it will help to some extent at least.

/D
  • 1.6 CRDi 2012 (select)

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Daniel  :welcome: to the group,sorry but I have absolutely no faith in the Hyundai fuel use meters,I do mine manually you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Danielskantze

• 1st Gear

• se Sweden
      Stockholm
Daniel  :welcome: to the group,sorry but I have absolutely no faith in the Hyundai fuel use meters,I do mine manually you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.
Good to know. Will keep an eye on it then.

Cheers
  • 1.6 CRDi 2012 (select)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The good Wife is getting about 8l/100 in her new Fd auto CRDI.

It has about 2500k on it, so it is still a baby. She uses the car for smaller trips, with the occasional highway run.

I get about 6l/100 in my Auto CRDI Cw doing mostly highway.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
I have just refilled the car and determined fuel consumption to be about 10 l/100km or about 28 mpg for completely around town driving. This is my wife's car and she must be dragging everyone off at the lights.

After refilling I saw 6.9 or about 40 mpg on the meter with gentle driving in light traffic. Around here I think that should be achievable on a regular basis if the car is driven gently.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

ouri30
I have just refilled the car and determined fuel consumption to be about 10 l/100km or about 28 mpg for completely around town driving. This is my wife's car and she must be dragging everyone off at the lights.

After refilling I saw 6.9 or about 40 mpg on the meter with gentle driving in light traffic. Around here I think that should be achievable on a regular basis if the car is driven gently.

Careful Keith on how you suggest she drives more conservatively.  Every time I suggest light and easy on the accelerator might work, the women in my household are not impressed.

:argh: is the usual reaction. "We don't drive like a grandpa."

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Just start removing some of their rights and privileges.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

Careful Keith on how you suggest she drives more conservatively.  Every time I suggest light and easy on the accelerator might work, the women in my household are not impressed.

:argh: is the usual reaction. "We don't drive like a grandpa."

Wise words indeed.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
Update. After analysis of driving styles, fuel consumption from both drivers is improving. The leadfooted one fessed up and is now settling in to a more appropriate diesel driving style. Consumption numbers are on the decline.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
Motor manufacturers can publish unrealistic EU "laboratory figures" ie. differing from "Real World" figures, leading to unhappy and complaining customers. However,  the UK Vehicle Excise Duty is based on these published emissions, and more complaints may lead to the vehicle emissions being downgraded, and hence liable to higher Duty :disapp:

My CRDi was one of the last without a DPF, Hyundai achieved a slightly better emission at the expense of a bit more engine "lumpiness". The later DPF model is slightly smoother, but cleaning the DPF leads to an overall drop of about 1.5%.
The latest 3 cylinder 1.1 turbocharged petrol engines are a better bet for a short journeys - with the added advantage of the diesel low end torque.

The VW Polo is currently undergoing tests with the DPF as close as possible to the exhaust manifold, however it regens at 450 degrees C.  :scared:

You could check out this website  http://motorsville.co.uk/

The latest i30 is currently undergoing fuel consumptions tests.

Offline panda

• 4th Gear

• au Australia

• 2012 Hyundai i30 Active Illawarra Region
I'm definitely not dragging anyone off at the lights  :lol: Still having fairly high fuel consumption though :(
  • 2012 Hyundai i30 Active

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
I have a 1.6L Diesel i30 (a 2012 "GD" Premium variant), and my typical fuel consumption according to the car has been hovering around 6.2L per 100K - with only ~1900k on the clock. My daily commute is about 95% highway at 100Kph, and another 4% at 80Kph, and the last bit at 60Kph & slower. I've been tracking my first fill ups, and I'm fairly close to what the car is saying, averaging about 6.3L/100K. I'm trying to be a bit conservative with my acceleration, especially as it is a diesel engine, as well as the fact I no longer have as many killer-wasps under the hood as I used to.

Looking forward to lower mileage figures!
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Wittendorff
I've now done 12000 km's in mine with an average of 5.8 L/100 km. The odometer say's 6.0.
I drive 100 km's a day, 70 on motorway (130 km/h) and the rest on highway (80-90 km/h).
I use the autopilot as much as possible.
Of course better figures can be achieved, but I simply refuse to drive slower than the speedlimits.
I have a friend with an old Golf II diesel which averages the same, so I'm really not that impressed.
On the upside I love the comfort and build quality of the car, so i'm not regretting that I bought it.

/Jakob

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Driving home close to midnight last night after trainng my cadets - very few cars on the road - I recorded 3.6  :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nope, just reasonably flat all the way.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

That's excellent. Maybe lots of nice, cool air helped but that's a top result.
I've had 1.9 on mine but only after I refuelled at the top of Greenmount Hill and drove to the bottom.
  • Tertius the i30

ouri30
I made an observation today while driving our ix35 CRDi.  Someone with an i30 (GD with realtime consumption meter) may be able to test it out.

I had the real time consumption readout on the dash and observe red higher than average fuel consumption figures were being returned.  After approximately 7km the fuel consumption dropped considerably and settled down to above nod below the average for the remainder of my 140km trip.  I'll be watching this with interest.

The trip was all highway driving with the first part being relatively flat.  If this is the usual pattern, with good fuel consumption not being achieved until the vehicle has warmed up, it is understandable that those travelling short distances every day will not achieve anywhere near advertised fuel consumption figures.

I did notice the average climb from 6.8 when I started to 7.1 before slowly coming back to 6.7 when I reached the outskirts of Adelaide.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I agree engine temperature makes a difference. I usually climb 2 decimal places before dropping again once it reaches operating temperature e.g. 4.3 to 4.1*

* I remind you I tend to drive in the 1500-1800 band and 5 to 10 kph under the limit :P

ouri30
* I remind you I tend to drive in the 1500-1800 band and 5 to 10 kph under the limit :P

Likewise

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal