i30 Owners Club

fuel capacity of 2010 i30 hatchback diesel and other queries

hugh · 30 · 14331

Offline hugh

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Recently I purchased a 2010, i30 diesel, hatchback.  I want to know the capacity of the fuel tank.  I put in 56 litres yesterday after doing 812 klms around town.  Someone told me that the actual fuel capacity of the i30 tank is only 53 litres, so how come I can add that much.  do i lose fuel by filling it up so full?  i could not see any fuel spilling out.  I am new to this post and i have no idea if I have doubled up with this post.  I pressed "enter" and all my typing disappeared.  I have also heard that the i30 is very hard on tyres, so what klm can I expect, it is mostly around town driving.  What is the best brand of tyres to get.  Next is bluetooth for my mobile phone.  what is the best bluetooth connection to install given that my car does not have bluetooth? someone said Parrot was good, is that true?
  • i30 2010 1.6 diesel hatcback automatic

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hello.  The fuel tank capacity of my 2007 CRDi manual is listed as 53 litres, but I have put 57 litres into it on at least one occasion; and I don't know how much was still in there before I put the 57 in.  I think others have put in more than that. 

The fuel capacity must be around 60 litres if you really fill it right to the top.

I have almost 83,000 ks on my car, with the original tyres still on it. 

Someone else will have to tell you about bluetooth.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate and welcome.

The filler hose on the I30 is quite long, you will get at least 7l extra in there if you brim it (I think from memory someone has done 61 or 63).

Tyre wear is fine. The debate will rage about rotating. I got 60,000 from my first set. Best tyre, go to the tyre section for a few opinions..

Can't help you with the blue tooth. Though some time with Google should help sort the contenders from the pretenders.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Starting from an empty tank - as determined by the trip recorder forecast to empty - I used to get 58 litres into my 2010 i30 diesel regularly.

With my 2012 diesel i30 - I have managed to get in a maximum of 60.7 litres on a fill.

This is because the filler neck to the tank adds to the storage volume and Hyundai may be a little conservative in their claim for the tank capacity of 53 litres.

On one occasion I brimmed the car on a hot day, drove 2kms home and parked it for a couple of hours only to find a small amount of fuel on the ground. Since then, on a hot day, I only brim the tank when I am about to make a journey of 20 kms or so to lower the fuel level in the filler neck.

Other members here have also got similar amounts in when brimming.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Yes, I've 60+ litres in several times in my previous FD diesel hatch.
As for tyres, I got 68,000 kms out of the first set and it still had good tread on all tyres on the second set when I sold the car at 136,000 kms.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well I just may hold the record here....I have the docket to prove that I put 62.39 litres of diesel into my baby. My car is a 2010 model diesel hatch.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Well I just may hold the record here....I have the docket to prove that I put 62.39 litres of diesel into my baby. My car is a 2010 model diesel hatch.

Sorry. Close but no cigar.  ;)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11679.msg134731#msg134731

I've had 63.55 lites in my previous FD.

I kept records of every fill from new and had several 60, 61, 62 etc but that was my biggest.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
DAMMMMMM!!!!  :blubber:

You must have been seriously close to having to walk! Well done!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's what I call brinkmanship, both of you.  :scared:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
When my 2011 CRDi's low fuel light comes on I usually fill it as soon as possible afterwards, mainly to get an idea of how much it takes to the "first click" method of filling. Usually it takes 43l.

I think that it's mentioned somewhere that there's 10l from low fuel light til empty.

I've "brimmed" it twice. Each time, it took 53l, which suggests that the filler pipe holds at least 10l.

According to this calculator:
http://www.online-calculators.co.uk/volumetric/cylindervolume.php
if the pipe diameter is 75mm (hard to tell from the outside) then if it does hold ten litres it'd be about 250mm long. And that doesn't seem to be that long, given the position of the filler and the difference in height between it and the lowest point in the cargo area where the tyre, tools, etc. live.

Thing is, when the bowser clicks for the first time, how much in the pipe is liquid, how much of it is foam?

And is foamy diesel enough to force the cutoff to work (not knowing the mechanics of modern bowsers)?

• 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
IIRC the low fuel light comes on with about 10% fuel remaining (so about 5.3l).  I'm like mjt57, I fill it up as soon as the light comes on.  It depends how busy the station is, and how fast I want to get where I'm going, as to whether I brim the tank or not.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

IIRC the low fuel light comes on with about 10% fuel remaining (so about 5.3l).  I'm like mjt57, I fill it up as soon as the light comes on.  It depends how busy the station is, and how fast I want to get where I'm going, as to whether I brim the tank or not.

Do you use the same logic and methodology when refuelling your choppercopter?  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Do you use the same logic and methodology when refuelling your choppercopter?  :lol:

Sort of.  I don't want the low fuel light to come on in the helicopter, it means I've stuffed up and will land below the level that I should have already landed with.  As for filling it, with most helicopters, it's either full fuel, or full passengers, not both.  So it depends....

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
As for filling it, with most helicopters, it's either full fuel, or full passengers, not both.  So it depends....

Stuff a stoker!, I didn't think they were that power limited.  :scared:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
You never, ever, exceed maximum all up weight. The helicopter can lift more, but it is "rated" to a maximum weight. If you exceed it then you aren't covered for insurance, etc. So it's either payload or fuel.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
IIRC the low fuel light comes on with about 10% fuel remaining (so about 5.3l).
The manual says 53l capacity. Low light comes on, fill up soon afterwards, takes 43l to first click. So, I have to assume (yeah, I know what "assume" means) that there's 10l left.

As for the helicopter's MGTOW, I'm surprised that it doesn't cover both full tanks and max payload.

Still, for an aircraft that doesn't fly (it just beats the air into submission) you need to be extra careful, I s'pose...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Even 747s and A380s can't take full fuel and full payload. They will max out weight before bulking out.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Then there's air temp, pressure, humidity, take off altitude, runway length & inclination. My feet are staying firmly on the ground.   :sweating:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
More dangerous driving a car, Phil.

:whsaid:

Statistically, yes.

I know more about the operation of my aircraft than I do about my car.  I know ALL of the people flying in the same airspace as me are licensed (unlike the roads) and trained to an appropriate standard.  The most dangerous part of my day is the drive to work!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Stop trying to confuse me guys.  :head_butt: :mrgreen:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I think the answer is 53l, but you can squeeze more in if you are patient.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

The difference for us mere mortals is that when driving our cars we feel as though we are in control.
But when we fly, we hand over control to an unknown person.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

But when we fly, we hand over control to an unknown person.

I don't.  :whistler:

I know.
That's why I said "us mere mortals."  :P
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
 :goodjob:

Sorry. Close but no cigar.  ;)

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=11679.msg134731#msg134731

I've had 63.55 lites in my previous FD.

I kept records of every fill from new and had several 60, 61, 62 etc but that was my biggest.

I am reminded of a Seinfeld episode where Kramer is taking a test drive and the car is getting oh-so-low on petrol....and both he and the salesman are just bravely/cautiously waiting for it to run out....I have been thinking about the nerve and/or desperation that must have driven you to get so low in fuel that it took 63.55 litres! And to draw on another Seinfeld episode....db08..."You ARE Batman!"  :goodjob:

Cheers,
Paolo

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:lol:
I just like living on the edge.

of the freeway  :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal