i30 Owners Club

What the heck are they using to line the wheel wells ?

i30RSA · 23 · 5831

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Hey, its me again, looks like im all over the i30 blog today. Recenly noticed strips of what looks like shredded plastic hanging from the wheel wells of my i30. What do they use on the inside of the wheel wells ? The black lining is coming of in tatters to the point that I can see the bodywork colour. Other car brands has like a more durable fibre glass type of lining. Its clear of the tire even if I have pasengers in so theres no way that the inside lining of the wheel well could scuff against the tire.

Anyone else having this problem ? Probably another cheap money saving trick  :rolleyes:
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If I were you I would get rid of your car ASAP - it is clearly a cheap and nasty Third World Country copy rather than a genuine Hyundai.

You have now broken all records for i30 car problems on this forum - it is hard to believe that Hyundai would produce such a bag of nails.  So much so that your tale of woe is incredible.

I await your next instalment with baited breath.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Dear AlanHo,

Might be because I got a dud ! Im extremely finely tuned to little things going wrong in cars, love turning the knobs and checking the quality etc ... you could say something like a quality controler for cars and the OCD plays a pretty big role !

Im used to German cars and for some reason chose to give Hyundai a try, because the styling and the features in the i30 grabbed my attention and also because I was looking for a bigger car !

So now it happens that I am discovering all these flaws and mearely discussing it with the other i30 members, isnt that what this blog is for ? Im used to driving cars that dont give troubles nor have quality issues and now everything is happening at once and its overwhelming me.

I just happened to look under the wheel well as my car was on the lift for a tire change and I saw the plastic lining starting to come off in rips and shreads. It definately isnt a good thing. I drive my cars and look after them and im sure you would also be upset if you had engine problems on a brand new car and saw shreds op plastic hanging from your weel whell.

As far as a rating out of 10 for the troubles I would give it a 4, cant complain about the interior, thats fine, except for RDS but yeah, thats my story !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
I'm with Alan... Call it a sixth sense but something isn't right... If the car were mine I'd have rejected it before now!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Well if they can fix the engine problem that would be most of the problems gone ! Thats the biggest worry at the moment. Other than that I could probably live with it  :D
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Any pictures so we can see it?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Well if they can fix the engine problem that would be most of the problems gone ! Thats the biggest worry at the moment. Other than that I could probably live with it  :D

But why would you? I bought mine used, £9,500 at 2 years old with 6,000 miles on it. I have had none of those issues you allude to and if I had I wouldn't have been happy! No sir, not at all... And if I'd bought it new it would have been left at the dealers until it was sorted to my satisfaction... I would NEVER just "put up with it" if, as you say... It cost you loads of money. The i30 is voted better than German cars by Germans themselves (Autobild) so I cannot imagine what happened to your car at some point in its parallel universe life!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
I shall try and get some pics of the plastic wheel well covering !
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Im used to German cars and for some reason chose to give Hyundai a try, because the styling and the features in the i30 grabbed my attention and also because I was looking for a bigger car !

So now it happens that I am discovering all these flaws and mearely discussing it with the other i30 members, isnt that what this blog is for ? Im used to driving cars that dont give troubles nor have quality issues and now everything is happening at once and its overwhelming me.

I'm happy to hear that you have had no problems with your VW's, but VW's are definitely not without faults and errors.

Many VW owners have just like you, had no problems with their car, but you could try to google "der ewige patient" (the eternal patient)
and you will get many stories about the VW Passat MY 2005 -->

Until 5 years ago I was a servicemanager at a VW/Skoda dealer, so I know they're not flawless...

About your i30. You have experienced a lot of errors, and that of course is not something to want in a new car, and not the experience to hope for when trying a new brand, but give the dealer a chance to sort it out. You could end up being happy with your i30 after all.

Most members have not experienced the faults you're having, thus it's difficult to give the remedy.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
If I were you I would get rid of your car ASAP - it is clearly a cheap and nasty Third World Country copy rather than a genuine Hyundai.
You have now broken all records for i30 car problems on this forum - it is hard to believe that Hyundai would produce such a bag of nails.  So much so that your tale of woe is incredible.
I await your next instalment with baited breath.

:baps:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Well know what, I am prepared to give Hyundai a chance because overall its a brilliant car, everything else is working fine, its only the engine thats giving troubles but im lighting a fire under the dealership, im the client and I have my rights, I paid a lot for this car and I expect it of them to fix my brand new car regarless of what the fault is, I made no small talk of my irritation on the engine matter and thats how I got this complaint to Hyundai HQ in Korea.

Im doing it on behalf of all the other i30 owners (particularly the 1.8 GLS Premium, because its only this engine that has the problem) in South Africa and friends of mine that has also complained about the whining sound and clattering. Furthermore, at last Hyundai Korea has taken note of this problem in their cars. They have contacted me by email and assured me that the engine matter would be resolved as soon as possible and that it should be taken up as an urgent matter for possible recall of 2013 i30 1.8 GLS models as a result of the faulty engine parts ie. causing the ratteling 'bucket full of nails' sound at low revolutions also the whining sound right after ignition.

But yet again, you say not a lot of members have experienced the engine rattling and whining sounds I get, if you go through this website thoroughly you would see that countless members have complained about the cold start clattering and the whining sound right after ignition. Its also readily available on Google if you care to search for 'Whining sound in Hyundai i30' or 'Clattering sound in Hyundai i30 engine'

Amen  . . . . . . .
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 19:02:30 by i30RSA »
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

is only in SA that the 1.8 is sold?

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Whereabouts are they made ?

I'll have to check under my wheel arches I think, never noticed anything wrong before. :)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
is only in SA that the 1.8 is sold?

No Lester, in Australia and New Zealand as well (and the USA too if I'm not mistaken) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@Diablo - Other cars have fibre glass-like moulding under the wheel arches, the i30 has like a rough plastic material that comes of if you scratch at it with your nail, if you get hold of a piece of this material under the wheel arch you could possibly pull it off in strands, mine just came off in long thin black plastic like threads.

@Keith - I saw the VW Youtube video about Mr Winterkom commenting on the steering wheel and being astounded at the quality of the i30, thats why I am so astonished and saddened by the fact that im having all these troubles with my car. I really thought that if Mr Winterkom, the CEO of a rival company could compliment the i30 that it could be a great car and now im having all this trouble. What you mean you cant find anything bad said, just search for 'whining noise in Hyundai i30 and 'clattering sound in Hyundai i30 engine' Im sure you would somehow get to it.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If the car is as bad as you say, I feel that you could do more damage by driving it, so why not present yourself and the car to the dealer an ask for a loan vehicle while yours is sorted. This keeps the dealer active and ensures the matter is sorted quickly. It would also give you a chance to evaluate a different car.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
If you browse through this set of photos of the Nosovice Hyundai factory you will see pictures of the car's wheel arch liners during assembly
http://www.auto.cz/hyundai-nosovice-64974/foto?foto=0
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline potnodleman

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North West

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Just had a glance under a wheel arch on mine and it seems to be some sort of fibreboard moulding. Bit of dried mud around as well so I'll try to jetwash them next time I get the Karcher out. :)

Maybe the plastic stuff was just an extra covering which should have been removed in the pre-delivery checks.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

If you browse through this set of photos of the Nosovice Hyundai factory you will see pictures of the car's wheel arch liners during assembly
http://www.auto.cz/hyundai-nosovice-64974/foto?foto=0

Picture 126 looks like school diners

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal