i30 Owners Club

Are you an ALDI bargain hunter?

Lakes · 220 · 44228

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Not for this little black duck.
I hate shopping at the best of times. There's no way I'm going to queue up for the privilege.

Thought they might have had some good opening specials but nothing we hadn't seen before.  :Pout:

Want 10 x 60cm wagon wheels but none at the moment.  :confused:

Dazz are you talking about decorative Wagon wheels? ( wooden with wood spokes ) ? as i saw some in the reject store next to ALDI but did not look at the price

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Not for this little black duck.
I hate shopping at the best of times. There's no way I'm going to queue up for the privilege.

Thought they might have had some good opening specials but nothing we hadn't seen before.  :Pout:

Want 10 x 60cm wagon wheels but none at the moment.  :confused:

I prefer "Weston's Wagon Wheels" myself. They used to be 5c each and 4 inches across. Oh, the pain, the pain.  :(

Owned by Arnott's these days....  :blubber:  :fum:

The guy over the road, worked for Westons when they closed, but had not worked for them long. did not know Arnot's took over. whats up with Arnot's?

the old Weston's office block is now Duesex Machina Cafe & Bike shop but not your normal run of the mill Bikes, they make up bikes that look like old Brit Cafe Racers but use the Yamaha 400cc Single & 500cc Single think the motors dry sumped too like the old brits Triump Norton & So on interesting little shop too.
there is also an old Arnot's Bakery still with original stone ovens, up at Morpeth they bake Bread there.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
OK, we went to the invitation only opening of Shiploads. Got there at 2.15PM (doors opened at 2.30pm) had to park 50 metres away near the bottom of the car park. Already over 100 in the que and by the time we got in several 100 behind us.

The 1500 square metre store was soon chockers and so were a lot of people's trolleys. It took us 30 minutes to get through the checkouts and there were 7 being operated efficiently by 2 staff each.

When we came out at around 3.45PM there was still probably 100 people queued up to go in...

I know one of the Managers quite well and he said they expect tomorrow to be quite a bit busier  :Shocked:

Some photos...

the car park when we arrived from our place in the que...

The queue when we were leaving...

From our car when we were leaving (Ray's Outdoor are the next to open apparently)

Dazz forgot to ask, who was not invited?
I know none of us Mainlander's got an invite. from the pic's look's like a smart marketing move.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
John, I found out you could get an invite off their Facebook page (Facebook strikes again)  :evil: (very smart marketing - worked a treat)

Re: The wagon wheels, the Reject shop did have some similar at one stage but they were $30 each instead of $20  (and they are sold out too I think now) I want 10 so a $100 saving if Shiploads can get some more. I had a chat with their buyer at the opening, he is going to try and find more :happydance: (It is not what you know it is who you know)  :goodjob:

I'm going to put a rail up the side of our new ramp and am going to paint those wheels cream and incorporate them in the bannister, if I can get them (and use two more in the railings of a bridge down near our dam)  :D

Sure, for Trish.....I believe you  :disapp:

Have you seen a picture of me? A handbag wouldn't work at all  :lol:
Trish said "I saw one I liked I might get it next visit" I said "as if it will still be there next time, you better show me and I will pay for it for you"

Mind you, there was no way I was going to carry it in the shop or to the car  :fum:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
did not know Arnot's took over. whats up with Arnot's?

Probably nothing, John...other than being a subsidiary of Campbell Soups, which is of course an American company.   :Pout:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I dislike takeovers. As a child our family frequently had sausages for tea at night. Made in SA by George Chapmans, unlike the traditional sausage which is fatty and juicy with everything that's bad for you, these were thin pork and although pork probably walked through them on stilts, ie not much pork content, the flavour and texture was great.

Well Chapmans get bought out by a big Sydney firm and goodbye to the sausages, no longer sold in SA. Haven't had one for many, many years. I have searched hi & low for a substitute, but nothing comes close at all.

Not happy Jan.  :'(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Seems to be that once you're good enough to get a big enough name, the takeover comes and customers are left to find an alternative. I guess that's why I have such a healthy respect for Coopers (not that I drink beer anymore). With our focus on high quality protein, we've settled as VIP discount customers of Baa Moo Oink and their stuff is pretty good. Standom are worth checking out if you're a big sausage fan or even a fan of big sausages.  :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Not exactly round the corner for me, but I'll drive anywhere to find a substitute. I'll give them a try soon, Thanks Gonz  :goodjob2:

edit

Item 1201 in their catalogue looks like the same sausage concept, but what do they taste like. Hmmm
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:06:08 by Phil. »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
One way to find out :D
Then you can drop in and say hello.  :goodjob:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Mind you, there was no way I was going to carry it in the shop or to the car  :fum:

my wifey just bought a new Guess handbag last week, and I ended up carry it around the shopping centre with the other bags....jeez....the things we do to keep wifey happy........ :)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Did you attack their shelves Dazz  :question:

I only spent $24 something including a new leather handbag for Trish. Trish spent about $16 I think. We spotted a few other things we liked but when we saw the length of the checkout queue we decided to wait until things settle down in a few weeks.  :undecided:

Goes with Dazz's skirt and leather undies.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

I only spent $24 something including a new leather handbag for Trish. Trish spent about $16 I think. We spotted a few other things we liked but when we saw the length of the checkout queue we decided to wait until things settle down in a few weeks.  :undecided:

As Phil likes to put it, 1 pic = 1K words.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

As Phil likes to put it, 1 pic = 1K words.
Please God.

No pics.  :scared:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry Trev....I'm with Gonz here........pictures please......

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
That would make one of the all-time classic videos of this forum.  :lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
John, I found out you could get an invite off their Facebook page (Facebook strikes again)  :evil: (very smart marketing - worked a treat)

Re: The wagon wheels, the Reject shop did have some similar at one stage but they were $30 each instead of $20  (and they are sold out too I think now) I want 10 so a $100 saving if Shiploads can get some more. I had a chat with their buyer at the opening, he is going to try and find more :happydance: (It is not what you know it is who you know)  :goodjob:

I'm going to put a rail up the side of our new ramp and am going to paint those wheels cream and incorporate them in the bannister, if I can get them (and use two more in the railings of a bridge down near our dam)  :D

Have you seen a picture of me? A handbag wouldn't work at all  :lol:
Trish said "I saw one I liked I might get it next visit" I said "as if it will still be there next time, you better show me and I will pay for it for you"

\\

Sounds Great Dazz!!
you will have to post pic's when its done. i thought for a minute there you where going to built a wagon train LOL

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
did not know Arnot's took over. whats up with Arnot's?

Probably nothing, John...other than being a subsidiary of Campbell Soups, which is of course an American company.   :Pout:

So true rusty, all those old Aussie companys sold out just never know about it unless you check. but would be hard to  keep them going today with our dollar so strong as would not compeat

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I dislike takeovers. As a child our family frequently had sausages for tea at night. Made in SA by George Chapmans, unlike the traditional sausage which is fatty and juicy with everything that's bad for you, these were thin pork and although pork probably walked through them on stilts, ie not much pork content, the flavour and texture was great.

Well Chapmans get bought out by a big Sydney firm and goodbye to the sausages, no longer sold in SA. Haven't had one for many, many years. I have searched hi & low for a substitute, but nothing comes close at all.

Not happy Jan.  :'(

Being a Sydney Boy please except my humble appoligy Old Sausage.
You forgot the Farmers Union Ice Coffee sold out to Coke, as in SA ice Coffee out sells Coke. i like Farmers Union Greek Yogurt have it on my Uncle Tobys Oats each morning, but won't drink the Ice Coffee.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Seems to be that once you're good enough to get a big enough name, the takeover comes and customers are left to find an alternative. I guess that's why I have such a healthy respect for Coopers (not that I drink beer anymore). With our focus on high quality protein, we've settled as VIP discount customers of Baa Moo Oink and their stuff is pretty good. Standom are worth checking out if you're a big sausage fan or even a fan of big sausages.  :lol:
I don't drink Beer, but i like Coopers Beer i drank some in Port Ad, sometimes i buy a 6 pack of Coopers & your so right it must be the last top beer still owned by Australians.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Any of you South Aussie's remember the Golden Honey Icecream they used to sell at the old Golden Fleece servo just out of Gawler,used to be on the old bypass,since they closed down I have never found anything to match it,my mouths watering thinking about it.

As kids Dad would give us a treat every week or so and drive us out there,just to get us all a double cone,he used to get a discount cause he drove for Golden Fleece.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Maybe some born'n'bred can answer that. My earliest recollection of Mt Barker, Eagle on the Hill and Adelaide was driving in on my first posting and asking on my CB what people do for entertainment on weekends. I was told 'go to Melbourne' - heartbreaking considering I was coming from there. Then to top it off, the only place to get petrol was a coin-operated bowser on KW St. :blubber:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Maybe some born'n'bred can answer that. My earliest recollection of Mt Barker, Eagle on the Hill and Adelaide was driving in on my first posting and asking on my CB what people do for entertainment on weekends. I was told 'go to Melbourne' - heartbreaking considering I was coming from there. Then to top it off, the only place to get petrol was a coin-operated bowser on KW St. :blubber:

Now that was many many moons ago,yes and we used to go to Melbourne on many a whim,leave 4 pm Friday night,be there just before midnight,hit the wharfies bar,just up from the docks,would only be closed for 1 hour per day,so it was open for both shift changes,bonus was we had family over there as well we could crash at.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't drink Beer, but i like Coopers Beer i drank some in Port Ad, sometimes i buy a 6 pack of Coopers & your so right it must be the last top beer still owned by Australians.

I'm confused  :whistler:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Coopers is the biggest 'Australian owned' brewery XXXX having sold out years ago, and CUB a couple of years ago. There are plenty of smaller brewerys out there doing excellent beer. Though as Little World Bevereages (brewers of Little Creatures) has shown, as soon as they get any size, they get snapped up by the big boys.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Coopers is the biggest 'Australian owned' brewery XXXX having sold out years ago, and CUB a couple of years ago. There are plenty of smaller brewerys out there doing excellent beer. Though as Little World Bevereages (brewers of Little Creatures) has shown, as soon as they get any size, they get snapped up by the big boys.

I'm confused because John says he doesn't drink beer but he buys a six pack occasionally? Guess he must buy it for others to drink :-P

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I'm confused because John says he doesn't drink beer but he buys a six pack occasionally? Guess he must buy it for others to drink :-P

What a great bloke he is then..... :beer:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

:rofl: thats like the statement "I don't drink beer anymore" yeah right he doesn't drink it any less either  :rofl:

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
i used aldi quite a lot when they first opened... i didn't enjoy the customer service tho...

then one day a somoan couple came in, pushed into the already understaffed checkout line up, then proceded to go bananas and threaten everyone. the woman tried to punch a customer who went back to get cheese while the checkout woman was scanning all of her products. yelled at me, yelled at my ex girlfriend at the time, told their kids to break stuff until they got service, the bloke tried to hit the checkout woman. IT WAS ON!

the part i consider the worst  was they didn't have anyone to throw them out because they dont even have store security.

i left my stuff there and haven't gone back since, and i wont until they can guarantee that wont happen again, I'm not shopping in an environment where i get threatened because they refuse to open another checkout even when its busy.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Never been a fan of Aldi and, like Ian I don't think much of their customer service, or lack of....

Besides, they treated my daughter pretty shabbily when she worked for them.  :fum:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
. the woman tried to punch a customer who went back to get cheese while the checkout woman was scanning all of her products.

What can I say about the Somoan's, almost as bad as the Chinese immigrants here,extremely rude and arrogant PPL IMO,there is no need for that sort of behaviour,but anyone who goes to a check out and holds PPL up so they can go back and get something they forgot,gets my back up as well,Sue will occassionally try to do this and ask me to go back and get stuff she has forgot,I refuse,I just say pay for what you have stop holding others up and go back and get it later.

But yes Checkout rage is becoming more common especially at the budget shops where the stores are far understaffed and yes I noticed that the few Aldi stores we did happen to visit,no security staff at all,but after seeing the stores I wouldn't go out of my way to shop there,Daughter loves em,very very cheap,so for her with a young family the possible inconvinience is off set by the savings for her.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal