Oz heatwave & Devastating Fires

Shambles · 92 · 19557

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Like everyone else I hope all our members are safe... Here is a map of the fires and a map of our members in Victoria.

The flag off to the left by himself is Team George who hasn't been on our site since Christmas (I sent him a PM yesterday but no response yet)

And Ozsnowman is at Bendigo (in the middle) think Bendigo is o/k at the moment. Hope all those close to Melbourne are O/K (and their friends and family)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
All good down here in Geelong, though on Saturday night we could smell smoke but not sure where from.

I have an uncle in Traralgon and he's OK.  Came close I think, didn't it?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for reporting in PP .. glad all is well with you and yours ...

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
And Ozsnowman is at Bendigo (in the middle) think Bendigo is o/k at the moment.

I'm good thanks, we were luckily far enough away - though some of my workmates were not so lucky. One woman lost her in-laws at Kinglake, and another had both her kids in Bendigo affected, one losing a house and another damaged :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Good news OZ  :D (Sorry about your workmates families)

Any other Victorian members online?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Quote by Oz prime minister:

"Arsonists who started some of the bushfires in Australia that have killed 171 people are guilty of mass murder"
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
I'd like to see what their jail term will be.  Each arsonist should get a year for each person that has died...currently 171.
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
Why are all those people dying ?!?!?!?

Did they get trapped?
Was the goverment to late to react?
Was the land so dry that the fire went out of control in no time?

:'(

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I almost cry to see the pictures on the news of the fires in Australia ...
I feel sorry for everyone who lost their home or their relatives  :'(

A Fireman gives this thirsty Koala some water

Look on the ground, it just melted everything

A small text from the online news:
'Final hug'
A family of three - a dad, mom and a child - were found dead in their tub. They hoped the water could save them from the heat of the fires, but they were boiled a live. The heat was so intense.
Another family was found in their car. They were sitting and hugging while they were burned alive. Also a mom, dad and their child.

These are just a few pics, but there are more. But I'm not putting them here for the respect for the relatives.
There are 162 members of Australia here on the forum. I hope they all are ok ...

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia

Did they get trapped?

Definitely the 1st and 3rd Hemmi.

Sometimes people don't want to leave (whether to fight the fire or to just be in their home.......) and if they change their minds it is often to late to get out. Sometimes the fact that they stayed is the only thing that saved them and everything that they own and love.........

These things can really come out of nowhere and even catch the most hardened firefighters by surprise.

It really is a sad time and my thoughts go out to all affected by this tradgedy.

Regards

Daniel

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I feel for the people of Victoria too. Marysville was one of my faviourite little towns down there, was beautifull. you would have to know those area'a to understand the full magnitude of what that would be like, it's scarey just thinking about it. like its all twisty moutain back roads up there and all Gum tree's. my heart went out to them when i saw all those car accidents that people trying to flee got caught in. gum tree's leaves are full of oil, get a fire start and wind and it just travels so fast. parts of victoria  are like Tassie were Dazz is. Bush Fires are bad news and very scarey! the pic of the dead Kangaroo is just normal you see that all the time on any country road out here

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales

Did they get trapped?

It was dry, but its mostly Gum tree's and the leaves of the aussie gum tree are full of oil, burns hot and fast, also so of those area'a are in mountains the roads are all cold mix and norrow and twisty and lot of tight blind corners no one would be able to get out fast unless the went by air. very sad. also parts of were the fire was bad is an alpine region snows in winter.

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
I feel for the people of Victoria too. Marysville was one of my faviourite little towns down there, was beautifull. you would have to know those area'a to understand the full magnitude of what that would be like, it's scarey just thinking about it. like its all twisty moutain back roads up there and all Gum tree's. my heart went out to them when i saw all those car accidents that people trying to flee got caught in. gum tree's leaves are full of oil, get a fire start and wind and it just travels so fast. parts of victoria  are like Tassie were Dazz is. Bush Fires are bad news and very scarey! the pic of the dead Kangaroo is just normal you see that all the time on any country road out here
Tree's with oil ... and flammable? You serious?

I also heared the fires were started by people  :neutral:

About the kangaroo, i know but he was laying on burned grass

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Nick,

Yes they extract Eucalyptus Oil from the leaves of some trees and Tea Tree Oil from others.. everything is just so dry combined with +40 degree temperatures and strong winds..

It is not just the narrow winding roads but so much smoke (people cant see to drive) :'(

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Hi Nick,

Yes they extract Eucalyptus Oil from the leaves of some trees and Tea Tree Oil from others.. everything is just so dry combined with +40 degree temperatures and strong winds..

It is not just the narrow winding roads but so much smoke (people cant see to drive) :'(
It's so unbelievable that it is +40° ... the max where I live is 30!

I wonder where all the smoke goes?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

"smoke is made up of small particles, gases & water vapor. water vapour is the majority. the remainder includes carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, irritant volatile organic compounds & air toxics."

Guess the small particles would eventually settle, while the gases and vapour would just dissipate into the atmosphere (or blow away with the wind)

We have had smoke quite thick over Tasmania from bush fires 100's of miles away on the "mainland" before....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Another great find Hemmi..

Unless people click on the image on that link they wont see the full picture so I downloaded and cropped it to show where Tasmania is in relation to Victoria and the fires.

Would be interesting to see a similar image from say 7th of Feb as over 800 houses now destroyed against only 10 in that report.

We wouldn't usually get the smoke (but it has happened) because most of our winds are from the west and southwest .. only occasionally from the north...

On a lighter note Eyma sent me an email with these great photos..

Assume they were fire related as Koalas are normally very shy and reserved creatures (must have been desperate for a drink... :eek: :cool:

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
If I lived in Australia, i just would go in the woods looking for animals to give them water. it's so sad that they just come to the people and begging for water.

I wonder you could see the smoke in Google Earth?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If I lived in Australia, i just would go in the woods looking for animals to give them water. it's so sad that they just come to the people and begging for water.

Good idea but not sure how often they update their images (does anyone know?) for example "street view" pix are around 12 months old for Tassie...

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Good idea but not sure how often they update their images (does anyone know?) for example "street view" pix are around 12 months old for Tassie...
I'll download Google earth now to check it out

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here is a picture from 7th of Feb..

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Hi Nick,
What makes these Koala photos so amazing is that koalas are an extremely shy animal. They would not usually approach a man at all. They live virtually their entire lives up in the tree tops. They get all the nutrients and moisture they need from their staple diet of gum leaves so very rarely leave the trees even to drink. So you can only imagine how dry and desperate they must have been to approach humans for water.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

See further down this thread nick... Victoria is the south eastern corner of the main Island of Australia (Directly above Tasmania)

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium
Hi Nick,
What makes these Koala photos so amazing is that koalas are an extremely shy animal. They would not usually approach a man at all. They live virtually their entire lives up in the tree tops. They get all the nutrients and moisture they need from their staple diet of gum leaves so very rarely leave the trees even to drink. So you can only imagine how dry and desperate they must have been to approach humans for water.
Didn't know they were so shy. I only saw koalas on tv and zoo's. They didn't had a problem holding a person.
And I complain in the summer for the hot days but that's nothing compared to Australia!

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Here is a link to a fundraising effort on behalf of the flight sim community

http://www.flightsim.com/main/notams09/iris0209.htm
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline misswicket

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brighton Le Sands

• Sydney Australia. Vivid Blue SR
They didn't had a problem holding a person.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. It is an interesting mental image though! :lol: :lol:

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Our business deals with NZ a lot, and we're getting emails and phone calls from them checking up on us, as the smoke is starting to drift over them now - thats a hell of a distance! That was nice of them :)

For our overseas members, the scale of this fire was unprecedented - it travelled 20km/12.5mil in around 10 minutes! That sort of speed made it hard to impossible to warn whole towns to get away from.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal