i30 Owners Club

Worth it? (2012 Petrol Hyundai i30 Elite model: $19,000: 10,000km)

Pantries · 289 · 55060

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Honestly, with mostly short trips I think you're better with petrol. And buying a diesel for just a few (maybe) longer trips would IMHO be false economy.
Having said that, how come the diesel is the same price with less klms.That doesn't make sense.
Dealership v private
  • Hyundai i30 Automatic Petrol Premium 2012

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That's a hard question, because, how can you be sure that your driving requirements will always stay as they are.

I like the Diesel engine.
If you want to tow a trailer or 1400kg caravan as member Asterix does, or have your car heavily laden with goods or people, the diesel is a clear winner.

On the downside, tyre wear is a little more excessive than petrol, due to a heavier Diesel engine and increased torque.

Servicing cost are dearer too because the Diesel has a significant fuel filter fitted.

Diesel's take longer to warm up, due to a thicker stronger metal motor.

Diesel's are noisier at idle, but once moving on the road, there's very little difference.

They're are normally about $2k dearer to buy than petrol, so you need to find out why this car is offered at petrol price.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You need a good drive of both variants ;-) The answer will be easier after that :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Hmmm, tough decision . might just stick with petrol, upfront costs I'm probably getting a better deal with diesel since its the same price with less km. But I guess it won't work out as well for the future?

I'm probably going camping at the end of this year so that'll be a long drive, but other than that it'll mainly be city driving, a lot of it, so say 5 trips each day, on and off but that doesn't work out does it since it needs to be one long drive sort of thing.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
On that note, I also drive consistently for a while, for example I regularly pick up mates so I'd drive from house to house, then to wherever were going so by the end of it it'd count. Surely getting a diesel for the price of a petrol car, is a no brainier choice, or isn't it?

Would doing a lot of city driving be bad for the engine?

And the extra torque would be good when the car is full with mates.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Most petrol owners are happy with their i30 (my wife loves hers)

She only does around 8000kms a year and mostly short trips (so that is why we bought her a petrol - couldn't justify the extra $2500)

Her CW is ok to drive, however if it had been a Diesel (like our 1st hatch) I would find a lot more reasons to borrow it  :whistler:

You really need to drive both on similar routes (with a variety of road conditions and speeds) to make the best decision.  :cool:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No city driving is not necessarily bad for Diesels, notice that business vehicles are Diesel rather than petrol. One thing I have noticed in ours was after a fill the fuel consumption readout settles to a reasonable figure. I had occasion after a fill to drive through our city to pick up a passenger. The city limit is set to 50 kmh / 31 mph and we have many annoying sets of traffic lights, however, I was surprised to see the average continue to fall from 5.2 to 4.9 l/100k which is lower than I can achieve on a freeway, so slow speed city driving is good for economy.

The biggest killer for economy in city traffic is sitting still in peak hour. Regardless of petrol or Diesel it has the same effect. BTW, Diesels use less fuel at idle than petrol. I would highly advise you to drive both if you can.

One thing to note is you don't need to rev the engine past 3k RPM in Diesel, you're wasting fuel after that. By design, max torque and turbo boost occur @ 1900 rpm ~ 3000. They're a bit like comparing a Draught horse to a Racehorse. Diesels just love to pull things along but a petrol engine is a more spirited ride. Depends what you're looking for.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
for myself Diesel.
If there is a hill to climb the diesel just excellerates up them with ease.
where i live now no traffic i'm always getting 4.8  4.9 read out on trip commuter. also if you are carrying other people in the car the diesel will pull the extra weight as diesel develops maximum Torque @ 1,900 & holds the Torque to 3,200 rpm thats a broad flat Torque curve , where as a petrol motor has a peaky torque curve & does not get to maxium Torque till 4,500 rpm . & you don't feel HP at all what you feel when a motor starts to excellerate is Torque.
but when you fill up with fuel you can come away from the pump smelling like a diesel mechanic  :rofl: & when you first start them on a cold morning they smell like a diesel, once warmed up you don't smell them much at all. but an unleaded petrol motor make a bad smell when cold too.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Tough choice, there's another i30 2012 no heated seats but with tint and mats, 21,500, 3 months rego, 9000km whereas the dealer is 21,000, petrol, 13,000km and with tint and mats.

Which would work out better? My dad continues to ramble on saying you get a lot more out of diesel fill ups whether its city driving or highway.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Thinking ill go for diesel at the moment..

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Here's the car,
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Hyundai-i30-2012/SSE-AD-2297454/?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

Any quick thoughts would be appreciated, we are really considering taking the diesel since its in NSW, 3 months rego and less KM and for only 21000.

It looks a little dirty under the bonnet but I don't think that's anything to be concerned about I guess.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
LPG Petrol and Diesel all have a certain calorific value, or energy value per litre Gas has the least followed by petrol then the highest is Diesel. This is why trains and Semi trailers are diesel engined, your father is correct.  :goodjob2:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Thanks for the response, appreciate it.

I think we're going to take the Diesel, when compared with the one in Victoria, it'll end up costing $21,000 with 3 months registration, 4,000 less KM, tint, mats, so I guess it works out better.

I drive a lot, I like driving and at times go for lengthy drives, whether it be in the city or highway, I'm sure it'll end up being the better option.

Heated seats aren't included, but the air conditioner will suffice.

I'm very indecisive if ya'll haven't noticed.

In terms of accessories, can Hyundai add them to the car? Whether its scuff plates or interior lighting?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Go the diesel, if it is in the same state thats a clear advantage. You can actually look at the car.

My wife drives her diesel around town and gets a genuine 7l/100 which isn't too bad considering all the stop start driving she does.

Diesel servicing can be more expensive, but there are plenty of threads on here for getting cheap replacement parts (I got my genuine filters cheap on ebay). So you can save money and do the servicing with parts supplied.

You can get accessories for the car from the dealer, but again, Ebay is your friend.

Offer them 22k and take the car home (after the obvious checks etc).

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Go the diesel, if it is in the same state thats a clear advantage. You can actually look at the car.

My wife drives her diesel around town and gets a genuine 7l/100 which isn't too bad considering all the stop start driving she does.

Diesel servicing can be more expensive, but there are plenty of threads on here for getting cheap replacement parts (I got my genuine filters cheap on ebay). So you can save money and do the servicing with parts supplied.

You can get accessories for the car from the dealer, but again, Ebay is your friend.

Offer them 22k and take the car home (after the obvious checks etc).

Cheers mate for the response.

Yeah, doesn't sound to bad. Is the noise loud when idle? Like it takes over the sound of the stereo or is annoying when talking with passengers?

My mate has a diesel and I can't recall, but it wasn't to bad I don't think.

I was able to haggle down to 21500, spend that extra 500 on extras heh.

Thanks again.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No even at idle the noise is not obtrusive, just present.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
At your age you probably won't hear it over the radio  :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts: A dusty engine isn't a biggie  :lol:

You should get an easy 800 kms out of a tank (without brimming) whereas probably only 500 kms out of a petrol in the same circumstances (and then there is the torque  :mrgreen:) and the talk on here..  :twisted:

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Guess I made the right decision then! I was lucky enough to get my $500 deposit back from the dealership, I feel really bad but they took 6 days to prepare the contract before I could sign it which was quite a while, and that's when I spotted this car. Fortunately I didn't sign any contract so I don't need to pay the 2%.

Feel bad though.. They were nice blokes, but I should probably put my money first instead of getting them a sale haha.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
6 days for a contract?

You snooze you lose. I suspect they didn't quite know how they were going to do it, and were hoping to sell the car so they wouldn't have to....

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
6 days for a contract?

You snooze you lose. I suspect they didn't quite know how they were going to do it, and were hoping to sell the car so they wouldn't have to....

Hahaha probably. But I called back each day eager for the car, but he insisted the contract was getting the "finishing touches". 6 days later, I happen to find a better deal hah.

Accessories like genuine scuff plates seem cheaper on EBay, if you add these yourself to the car, does it void the 5 year warranty?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
My understanding is that items not fitted by Hy, are naturally not covered, also any associated claims would be voided too eg if you fitted the scuff plates, then had rust appear underneath, they would not be interested in warranty. But you'd have to be awfully unlucky, IMO.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Should I be concerned that there's no road worthy certificate involved? I've done background checks with the VIN and it says it's clean, but I find it odd that there isn't a RWC..?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Should I be concerned that there's no road worthy certificate involved? I've done background checks with the VIN and it says it's clean, but I find it odd that there isn't a RWC..?
How can that be?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Does it need one if it's only 8 months old?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Forgot you're in NSW. You've got me confused with all the cars you're looking at. :-[
3 years I think before it needs a RWC.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Forgot you're in NSW. You've got me confused with all the cars you're looking at. :-[
3 years I think before it needs a RWC.
Ohhhhh okay, that's why then. My apologies. I'm looking at the most recently linked car haha.

Thanks mate!

Offline Pantries

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sutherland Shire
Jeez, I have the worst luck! Haha.

So we were going to go this weekend to pay for the vehicle, and we both agreed to buy it. But I just got a message saying the vehicle sold to a family friend since they were able to offer more, since the vehicle was on finance, she was originally going to pay what was outstanding while we paid the 21000 that we agreed on, but the family friend was able to pay the 21000 and the extra 3000 that was remaining on finance...

Back to square one.. Karma for abandoning the dealership vehicle haha.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You sure you don't want a new base model??? Much less hassle!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I bought a new base model manual diesel and love it.
1,000 kms per tank, super nice to drive.
It really is worth a look.
But if you want an Elite, others will come up.
I'm sure you will end up with a great car.
I have only ever had two diesels, this i30 and my last one (FD).
I'm a convert. Love them.
But as has been pointed out, petrol owners love their cars too.
Take one for a long drive and you'll know,  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal