i30 Owners Club

Wat lights do the 2013 i30 have ?

i30RSA · 57 · 17308

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
This is whats red and pretty expensive ! My brand new baby the all new A45 AMG :Shocked: Giving the i30 to the wife ! She probably wont be as iffy about the little quirks as I am ! Getting delivery on Friday ! How I will control a 265KW 2L Turbo 4Matic I will have to wait and see but gawd dang im looking forward to scaring the Ferraris and Porsches. It does 0-60mph in 4.2 seconds !

No doubt you've already tried it.  :disapp:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Atleast its got a handbuild engine by a trained mechanic that knows how to build engines and not an engine thats been put together by robots in a factory somewhere in Korea and surprizes you with unwelcome sounds and noises when its only done like a 1000 miles. Atleast the A45 AMG is backed by the best performance enhanced company in the world which is AMG and not by sarcastic uneducated mechanics that have the guts to tell a customer that he is imagining things and hearing sounds when he clearly presents them with a recording of the engine sounding like a diesel tractor. Oh and they told me that if the car ever gives me engine troubles (which I highly doubt) they will gladly replace it.

Yes, I have tried it, its build to be driven as it has a racing pedigree and a history behind it ! It will start when you turn the key and I wont have to struggle 5 times to get it going in the mornings and then hear it eventually puff to life in a catastrophic clatter and shaky way. 

I think im going to have so much fun  :happydance:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 00:06:21 by i30RSA »
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Clearly, you have confused ideas about what a car should do and most particularly, what you want in car. From your description, you are comparing two very different vehicles, priced at opposite ends of the market, with different manufacturing techniques. Only a fool would compare the two this way. "A Rolls Royce has more luxury appointments than an i30." Can't you see how stupid this comparison is. Your driving style, which can only be described as racing, clearly does not fit with i30 ownership.

I hope you have a better association with AMG. Don't hold your breath waiting for a new replacement car if you break this one, it won't happen. Companies go broke doing things like that and AMG, are not going broke.  :workitout:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
@Rustynuts - This is what it says on the website. ''The ultra white brightness of the lamp promotes superior vision, while the jewel-like design imparts high sophistication. The headlamp design has been thoughtfully considered into the front of the vehicle design and completes it's fluidic look''

I dont see that it mentions 'halogen lights' anywhere . . .

You needed to scroll down further and open the section I said..."Safety Features"

Here's what you'll find:  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Do you remember this, i30RSA?  :whistler:  :lol:

Well im considering waiting 4 more months for the new A-Class to come to South Africa but they are soooooo expensive too maintain, its more then R300 000 ($38 500) which is way over my budget and has a 100KW 1.6 Turbo engine. Firstly its too expensive too buy, secondly its too expensive to maintain and thridly it doesnt have that awesome 100 000km 5 year plan that Hyundai has.

What's changed?  :rofl:

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
Well, that was before I knew what I was getting into, ill informed, everyone told me I was making a mistake but then again I was following my own mind. Bought the car and now its giving me troubles. I got fed up having to listen to the racket every morning, had it at the dealership, they said they were concerned about the sound as lots of people complained, cold started quite a couple of 1.8 Executives at the dealership and they all made that terrible sound, drove one of them cold and it sounded all ro familiar. They said that they would order the parts to be replaced, its been 2 months now and they havent gotten back to me, I phoned countless times and each time they say they havent gotten the parts yet, ive had it at Hyundai SA, they told me it sounded like the lifters, it didnt sound right to them. Fixed it, the car sounded ok for a few weeks and the sound came back.

Have you guys ever heard of financing, its not per say that im paying cash, im paying it off every month like any normal citizen. Two total opposites, thats for sure. Oh and havent you heard, Mercedes offers a 6 year unlimited mileage plan because they know their cars wont break or give problems like the car I have, actualy that has to be 'had'.

• i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline i30RSA

• 2nd Gear

• za South Africa
      Bloemfontein
@RustyNuts - My mind has changed.
  • i30 1.8 Excecutive

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
One thing I know for sure is that we, here, on this Forum won't here about any of the issues the Merc has, and it will have issues.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No it won't, he goes back to the dealer and they give him another one, he said so.  :whistler:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
well if I buy a Merc.I'm heading to SA to get it,theirs must be better,we only get 3 yrs 100,000 K warranty here  :blubber:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

One thing I know for sure is that we, here, on this Forum won't hear about any of the issues the Merc has, and it will have issues.

Couldn't modify to fix a schoolboy spelling / grammar issue!

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
One thing I know for sure is that we, here, on this Forum won't hear about any of the issues the Merc has, and it will have issues.

Couldn't modify to fix a schoolboy spelling / grammar issue!
:lol: Yes, I'd be driven to correct it if it was me - couldn't let it go myself. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Happened through editing... Really hate those mistakes slipping though the net lol!

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
here,hear or is it hear,here or maybe here,here  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
What?  :undecided:
Just a sarcastic dig at a spelling Fopar Keith made  :lol:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
And mine was a what as in "I can't hear you"...  :lol:  :confused:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
And mine was a what as in "I can't hear you"...  :lol:  :confused:
so some days I just stoopid  :confused:

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

It's none of them actually Ricardo lol!  :winker:

ouri30
Now, I've had a look through this thread and feel it is worth pointing out that projection lenses in the i30 are for low beam only.  The high beam is a separate bulb in the non-projection reflector.  Now, in the Aus Premium i30, the bulb fitted to the projection lenses are xenon (HID) while the high beams are the standard halogen.

Bi xenon bulbs are replacements for halogen bulbs that are dual filament, such as H4 that are fitted to many vehicles.  In the case of some makes, these bi xenons bi are fitted to projection headlights as standard.  Bi xenon are similar to xenon but have a moving screen or deflector that directs the light in a pattern that is lower for for low beam.  When high beam is selected, the screen moves and allows a full beam.  Choosing low beam moves the screen or deflector into place again.

The "bi" is not there to indicate a superior globe or light emission to xenon.  It is simply there to indicate how the beam is controlled or directed.

Of interest also is that i30 Premium vehicles in Aus also have self levelling headlights and headlight washers.  I intend to fit xenons as high beam in the future, realising that when selected, there will be a slight delay before full light will be emitted on high beam. Bi xenons do not have this problem as they are emitting full power and the high beam is activated by movement of a deflector.

Have a look at Wikicars: http://wikicars.org/en/Bi-xenon_Headlights
This article also mentions a few other variants.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
The "bi" is not there to indicate a superior globe or light emission to xenon.  It is simply there to indicate how the beam is controlled or directed.

Wow.

That has never been my understanding of "bi."

That is why I am so pleased to be a part of this forum because I learn new stuff.  :D

Thanks Bob.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for the info Bob :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, Dave, 'bi' xenon doesn't mean you get twice the xenon. 'Bisexual' on the other hand ...  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Atleast its got a handbuild engine by a trained mechanic that knows how to build engines and not an engine thats been put together by robots in a factory somewhere in Korea and surprizes you with unwelcome sounds and noises when its only done like a 1000 miles. Atleast the A45 AMG is backed by the best performance enhanced company in the world which is AMG and not by sarcastic uneducated mechanics that have the guts to tell a customer that he is imagining things and hearing sounds when he clearly presents them with a recording of the engine sounding like a diesel tractor. Oh and they told me that if the car ever gives me engine troubles (which I highly doubt) they will gladly replace it.

Yes, I have tried it, its build to be driven as it has a racing pedigree and a history behind it ! It will start when you turn the key and I wont have to struggle 5 times to get it going in the mornings and then hear it eventually puff to life in a catastrophic clatter and shaky way.

I think im going to have so much fun  :happydance:

Well, that was before I knew what I was getting into, ill informed, everyone told me I was making a mistake but then again I was following my own mind. Bought the car and now its giving me troubles. I got fed up having to listen to the racket every morning, had it at the dealership, they said they were concerned about the sound as lots of people complained, cold started quite a couple of 1.8 Executives at the dealership and they all made that terrible sound, drove one of them cold and it sounded all ro familiar. They said that they would order the parts to be replaced, its been 2 months now and they havent gotten back to me, I phoned countless times and each time they say they havent gotten the parts yet, ive had it at Hyundai SA, they told me it sounded like the lifters, it didnt sound right to them. Fixed it, the car sounded ok for a few weeks and the sound came back.

Have you guys ever heard of financing, its not per say that im paying cash, im paying it off every month like any normal citizen. Two total opposites, thats for sure. Oh and havent you heard, Mercedes offers a 6 year unlimited mileage plan because they know their cars wont break or give problems like the car I have, actualy that has to be 'had'.

sorry to hear about your troubles,  i read somewhere that the 1.8 petrol uses solid not hydraulic cam followers. most race car motors use this type of lifter, as at higher rev's they don't pump up like hydralic's can. but race cars are normally noisy.

your right about the i30 lights it's a weak point. but with the new model there is HID as option.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I have the HID's, and they are only a little bit better......

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
well if I buy a Merc.I'm heading to SA to get it,theirs must be better,we only get 3 yrs 100,000 K warranty here  :blubber:

Few things I have picked up here.

Firstly according to the MB SA website, ALL Mercedes vehicles come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, I suspect that our original poster has accidentally picked up on the 6 year paint warranty, which is a different beast from the vastly underneath many manufacturers (including Hyundai) mechanical warranty.

Secondly there appears to be a real apples and potatoes moment going on, are we seriously comparing an i30 to an A Class AMG??  Get real, for crying out loud, they exist for completely different reasons, the AMG is a gorgeous car of that there is little doubt, but for many so is the i30 and the latter will take your golf clubs without requiring the seats down (or the purchase of the additional vario seat pack) and will not cost anything like as much to get you to the golf club either.

Finally (for now) the various reviews I have read about the new A and B class MB's suggest that build quality on the face of it is decidedly Mercedes, but scratch the surface and (quote) "the lower cabin plastics and switchgear are decidely Korean"

Further to that they suggest that they are too harsh in Sport guise, many suggesting that the SE variants are better than their thoroughbred relatives and disappointingly that noise intrusion into the cabin is decidely un-Mercedes like!

Just one example of this type of review here http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/mercedes/a_class/hatchback/video#video

Like I say there are plenty of reviews all saying much the same thing across the web, I have myself taken a shine to some of MB's latest offerings, but the various reviews tend to suggest that for the "budget" MB buyer the C Class is still the best bet, that model has been recently facelifted, but I would consider that a new version offering the same level of external appeal as the new A and B class is fairly close and I for one am waiting to see what that offering actually is.

Finally (told you that last one was for now!) the projection lenses offered by Hyundai are the same as most other manufacturers, as far as I am aware the i40 was the first Hyundai to offer that style of headlight and can be improved by purchase of the optional Vision Pack on the Premium or Premium SE versions.  I assume, but have not checked, that the i30 is the same.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Wow..
Just went through this entire posts and boy.. What a mess.
Just like ouri30 said, Bi Xenon is not hard to differentiate from normal halogen lights.
First of all, Xenon (HID) will emit white or slightly blueish light. Depending on the K on the light specification.
Never once have I seen Xenon/HID look yellow like normal Halogen.
Xenon/HID lights require ballast to be installed as they use more wattage. This normally cost a lot more to properly install them into the car. Hence expensive option on some of the other brand vehicles.

Going to the other part, "BI" it simply means that the lens deflector will move up to give full angle projection of light.
That's why, when you get into a car with Bi-Xenon head lights, (For example Merc) when it does a self check at the start, the lights move up and down.

Now.. the lights in i30s are not Bi-Xenon on any of the models I believe. They are just low beam auto leveling HID Xenon lights on Premium only. So in fact, they don't move up and down like "Bi" head lights do.

And don't even start with Mercedes. I'm sure your A45 will be a great car. But it does have its problems too.
Like if you don't drive it for a period of times (1 week) it has the tendency to go low on Batt. Apparently a lot of electronic stuff is still functioning even if the car is off. Like Sensors and etc.... In the Mercedes Manual, it states that not to leave the car for more than 2 weeks as it may cause issues with Batt.
And other Mercedes owners having issues with faulty steering wheel lock. The control wheel going broke.. etc....

But good luck with your A45. It is a wonderful car I believe. Hopefully you wont have issues like your i30 has.

joe....
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal