Guest · 10 · 1835

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Joshua Dowling
Carsguide19
September 2013

The widely condemned campaign by a car magazine to raise the speed limit on the Hume Highway to 130km/h has won favour among the motoring public -- and race driver Mark Skaife who backed the increase said it should only happen if annual safety inspections were reintroduced for older cars.

Police and politicians slammed the stunt by Wheels magazine as a “ridiculous” threat to the safety of other road users after it commissioned a foreign journalist to drive from Melbourne to Sydney at 130km/h one Saturday in July.

To the magazine’s surprise and the embarrassment of the Victorian and NSW Police, the lead-footed journalist didn’t get caught and authorities predictably denounced the publicity stunt.

But a TV viewer poll received almost 400,000 votes in less than 30 minutes, with the overwhelming majority in favour of increasing the speed limit to 130km/h or 140km/h, as it is in Europe.

Exclusive figures obtained by News Corp found motorists in Victoria --which has the strictest enforcement nationally with a 2kmh tolerance to speed limits -- were most in favour of raising the limit.

Read more: :link:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No way I want our idiot Australian drivers flying along (all of them - not just a few who don't care about breaking the law) at 130kph.
Especially on our standard of roads.
Speed limits are the subject of a State Gov't review in Qld right now.

Fortunately, it is highlighting spots where the limit should be lowered as weel.
Also, the numerous times the speed limit changes on one section of road is also coming into question.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Is this road built to the standard of our motorways?

No crossings,
No right turns,
 no stopping save emergency,
No learners
No bikes under 50cc
Etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
@eye30  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You must be joking, at current speeds it already has a notorious safety record.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Actually, the Victorian section (and possibly all) of the Hume Highway has been designed and engineered for speeds of 130 kilometres an hour...  :cool:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
well the other year,we did 14,500 K's,from West To east,up north,then back down around the coast and back across the nullabor,there where only few sections of certain Hwy's I would consider safe to do those speeds,like SD from what I've seen on the roads these days,I wouldn't want open slather for everyone to be able to do those speeds.but I have to say,the 100 k limits in some of the eastern states is also a joke.
LIKE THEY SAY IT'S HORSES FOR COURSES
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
SA (South Africa) have the ultimate in safe limits.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :lol: is that a speed limit or the alcohol blood level limit,thats what you get for trusting three council workers to hang a sign without supervision  :rofl:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Could lay it on its side and have infinity.
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal