i30 Owners Club

Kangaroo Hopping on take off in rain.

Offline shakerattleandroll

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
My car began to accelerate with two violent shudders. As it was raining I was accelerating gently from a completely start, when immediately the car shuddered twice. I could image the engine twisting violently on the engine mounts. I had turned the skid control switch off and on about 2 minutes prior to this, but not sure if related. It felt like we were jumping over some ruts in the road or the brakes were being intermittently being applied very hard, but I now realise it was kangaroo hoping and only abated because I backed off almost immediately. This car is only 5000kms old. It did suffer from rough starting at least a dozen times when new , and although they said they couldn't find anything , it magically hasn't reoccurred after 1500km service. Petrol was from usual source, had no problems with petrol ever from this garage. Can I expect a dealer run around? Does this look like being a design flaw and looming on going glitch. Should I approach a pub to see if they can use it as an alternative to riding the mechanical bull. Any similar experiences welcomed. Cheers.
  • 2013 petrol i30 base model active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So many questions so little time!  :lol:

:wttc:

Sorry to hear of your woes.. can't recall anything similar on here (so doubt it is a design issue) :confused:

Can I expect dealer o give me the runaround (probably, but I hope not!)

At least you are in a large place with a choice of dealer...

If they give you the runaround be firm and persistent (but tactful) and escalate it to Hyundai Australia if necssary... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Doesn't sound right at all. An engine response like that from a diesel might make you suspect fuel, but from a petrol...?

Quote from: shakerattleandroll
Should I approach a pub to see if they can use it as an alternative to riding the mechanical bull.
They wouldn't use anything jerking as violently as that :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Get it back to the dealer to sort out!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Tramp shudder can be a reasonably common problem in a front wheel drive car,especially in the wet,though you don't think your accerlorating that hard,it doesn't take much to get the wheels to spin in the right conditions,I've had this happen a few times in the wet with mine,like you say take your foot off the gas and it stops,I had a 128 Fiat years ago,this used to do this in the wet as well.
as for you rough starting problem,many things could have caused this,but sounds like it has sorted itself after the 1500K service.

I wouldn't worry to much,in general these little cars are very reliable if looked after correctly,lookat how many of the pre runners(the Excels) are still out there going strong,got an old fella up our way who has one of the first I30's sold in WA (diesel though)still going strong,with other than normal wear and tear still going like a rocket.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unless I missed it somewhere, I'm not sure whether you have a manual or auto.
I'm assuming manual and as Rick says, not unusual in a FWD car in the wet.

Report it and ask them to check it over and make sure they record your problem on the database.

Pleas keep us posted, too.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline shakerattleandroll

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for the feedback. Forgot to mention car is an automatic. Perhaps the wheels were spinning on the white lines and road markings then hitting the  black tar causing the shudder. Who knows, was seriously violent though. Thanks again for the feedback. Excellent resource for the future.  :victory:
  • 2013 petrol i30 base model active

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi shakerattleandroll
 :wttc:

I've had the same as Rick, the front wheels will spin in the wet when accelerating, but mine's a manual, though.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I have just been having another think about this  :undecided:

Kangaroos do a bit of that hopping thing when they take off .. (rain or no rain)  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
My car is petrol but it is a manual.  Never had the problem at all !!!   :Shocked:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal