i30 Owners Club

Reading lights and jump starting

Offline LogicalUnit

• 1st Gear
Hi, all! I'm new to these forums, and I have a 2011 i30 SLX 2.0 auto. I love the car, but I have experienced one particular problem: the internal reading lights mounted on pressure switches do not switch off automatically. I have drained my battery at least twice by forgetting about these. Hyundai roadside assist has been great, but I'd like to be able to solve this myself. So can anyone help me with a solution?

Ideally, I'd like to know if I can modify these switches so they automatically switch off.
If that's not possible, I'd like to know how many cranking amps the engine needs to start with a portable jumstarter unit.

Thanks
  • i30 SLX auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :wttc: I have two of the 2011's,one SX and the other the SLX,both of mine the interior lights switch of Automatically when the switches are in the correct position,if yours don't I would be taking it back to Hyundai and having them fix the problem,as I said if the switches are in the correct position there is no reason for the auto off not to work
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline LogicalUnit

• 1st Gear
Thanks for the welcome! :D

There is a "door mode" button in between the reading lights. This will automatically switch the reading lights on and off. However,
if you manually press the reading light button itself -- while driving -- it stays on.
  • i30 SLX auto

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Ah!yes,I misunderstood what you where saying,yes if you turn them on manually,yes they will not turn off automatically when you get out of the car.

hence the reason I have never flattened my battery,I rarely use the map/reading lights and if I am leaving the vehicle of a night time,I make sure the lights have in fact gone out,easy for me because where I park mine the garage is 10 metres from the house and I have to turn the shed lights out in the shed before I leave,so easy for me to see if they are still on.

But I can see how you would get caught out iof you had a carport or garage connected to the house and can drive in when the lights are one in there and you don't turn them off until your in the house itself
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Press the light to switch on and press again to switch off. Can't get much simpler than that.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
It's working just the way it's designed to work. Get used to turning it off as you would a room light. :cool:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I don't understand this. I assume we're talking about the lights just behind the windscreen, near the sunglasses holder.
I leave mine switched off but if I do turn them on, they go out after about a half minute after I get out of the car and close the door.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
For the lights to go out after you leave the car, they would have to be in the "Door" position. Which is how we have ours set.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
For the lights to go out after you leave the car, they would have to be in the "Door" position. Which is how we have ours set.
There's a "door" position?
I'd have to go have another look but IIRC there's a push switch between them which activates both and then they'll go out as I said above.
But you can also press on the light cover itself and just that one will come on. Not sure if it goes out the same way.
I know the dome lights - above the centre console have a door setting.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi LogicalUnit

:wttc:

Guys, if you press the light when driving, the light will stay on until you press the light again.

One way to solve this problem, is to change the power supply for those lights from pin 30 (allways powered) to pin 15 (powered when ign on)

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline LogicalUnit

• 1st Gear
One way to solve this problem, is to change the power supply for those lights from pin 30 (allways powered) to pin 15 (powered when ign on)

This sounds promising. Can you provide any more detail, please? :)
  • i30 SLX auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I'd have to go have another look but IIRC there's a push switch between them which activates both and then they'll go out as I said above.
But you can also press on the light cover itself and just that one will come on. Not sure if it goes out the same way.

Yes

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Yes

:head_butt:
That's too close for me to read. In the driver's seat, that's only about 6" or so from my eyes. Just a white blur without my glasses on. And I don't wear my reading glasses when I'm driving. :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
You CAN see other cars on the road, or do you just steer a bit to the left.  :whistler: :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
You CAN see other cars on the road, or do you just steer a bit to the left.  :whistler: :lol:
No No. My vision is fine except up close. Don't need bi or multi focals.
It's just reading and even then if I'm in bright light like sunlight, I can read a book.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
It's likely you have presbyopia, Trev.  It's a hardening of the lens due to age (not saying you are old).  Nothing to worry about.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
It's likely you have presbyopia, Trev.  It's a hardening of the lens due to age (not saying you are old).  Nothing to worry about.
I'm not worried Phil.
I get tested every two years and my prescription hasn't changed in 6.
Also a few years back as a result of some "flashing", hence concern about a displaced retina, I had a couple of check overs by an opthamologist and he gave me a clean bill of health (eye wise).
So all good.  :fingers:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Thanks, Fred.  :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Thanks, Fred.  :D
OK. I'll bite.
Who's "Fred"?

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Well, you thanked Phil for something I told you, Fred.   :whistler:

Signed,

Phil's stand in stunt double for his "procedure" next Tuesday.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, you thanked Phil for something I told you, Fred.   :whistler:

Signed,

Phil's stand in stunt double for his "procedure" next Tuesday.
Well, of course.
That's why I called you "Phil"
as in "Phil in".
 :mrgreen:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah, presbyopia, I recognise that now that I've just come off my AVMED course, complete with hypobaric chamber ride. :happydance:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

This sounds promising. Can you provide any more detail, please? :)

I'm afraid I can't, it would require a wiring diagram which I don't have. It might be necessary to fit a cable from the fuse box, where you can find pin 15, and up to the lamp.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal