i30 Owners Club

30,000km service for i30 GD

rickai · 56 · 19178

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Hi guys, I'm thinking of supplying my own filters for the 30k service, but it seems that I can't find any place online that sell filter parts for the new i30. Does anyone know any? Or what are the price difference compare to dealers? I'm in Sydney, service will be done at Barry Smith Hyundai. If not, i'll just supply my own oil only.

Edit: I just realised that the car under a cap priced servicing wouldn't change the pricing regardless if I supply my own things. The dealer just quoted me $289 and they will be supplying magnatec 5W-40 engine oil. I guess I have no choice but to stick to what they're giving me.  :Pout:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 00:48:21 by rickai »

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi guys, I'm thinking of supplying my own filters for the 30k service, but it seems that I can't find any place online that sell filter parts for the new i30. Does anyone know any? Or what are the price difference compare to dealers? I'm in Sydney, service will be done at Barry Smith Hyundai. If not, i'll just supply my own oil only.

Edit: I just realised that the car under a cap priced servicing wouldn't change the pricing regardless if I supply my own things. The dealer just quoted me $289 and they will be supplying magnatec 5W-40 engine oil. I guess I have no choice but to stick to what they're giving me.  :Pout:

sorry if this was too slow, Hy Spares Gosford sell filters you can order online, but when i lived in Sydney i drove up there.
good idea supplying filters & oil then you just pay labour costs

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Yeah, it won't change the price of the capped services. But after the 45, 000 km service they are uncapped and it would be to yoyr benefit to get your own stuff
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Haha thanks guys, wasn't expecting replies anyways, after realizing my own mistakes. I'll keep that in mind Lakes, for the 60,000km service.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm curious now, why can't you supply your own oil and filters?

The service price is capped, not fixed so there is no logical reason why they can't deduct the cost of the oil and filters off the price if you supply them....  :undecided:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
They told me that the price wouldn't change regardless. I figured it was fixed at that. Guess they are trying to screw me later on down the road  :undecided:

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I've always wondered if car dealers actually use the oil you supply them, or does the mechanic just put it to one side and use it for themselves if it's better than what they use. I know it sounds a bit out there. If never supplied my own parts/oil etc.. but it always occurs to me.. lol

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They told me that the price wouldn't change regardless. I figured it was fixed at that. Guess they are trying to screw me later on down the road  :undecided:

Might be worth telling them if they want your business it might be in their best interest to do the right thing now...  :undecided:
There is nothing on the Hyundai site suggesting that the service price is fixed....

Even if you don't supply your own parts you should be able to supply the oil you want as long as it meets Hyundai specs....  :undecided:

Capped Price Servicing - Hyundai Motor Company Australia

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

Might be worth telling them if they want your business it might be in their best interest to do the right thing now...  :undecided:
There is nothing on the Hyundai site suggesting that the service price is fixed....

Even if you don't supply your own parts you should be able to supply the oil you want as long as it meets Hyundai specs....  :undecided:

Capped Price Servicing - Hyundai Motor Company Australia
very true :)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Haha thanks guys, wasn't expecting replies anyways, after realizing my own mistakes. I'll keep that in mind Lakes, for the 60,000km service.

make sure they change your fuel filter @ 30,000k & every 30,000k as injectors are not cheap.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I've always wondered if car dealers actually use the oil you supply them, or does the mechanic just put it to one side and use it for themselves if it's better than what they use. I know it sounds a bit out there. If never supplied my own parts/oil etc.. but it always occurs to me.. lol

Same thought has crossed my mind, too.  :'(

They always return the empties, but after pouring it into a mixed drum probably. The customer waiting room is not within sight of the servicing area where we go.  :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW

That happens 90% of the time in China. You have to stand there and watch them do it so they don't do anything stupid. If you don't they'll take the newest parts of your car and put something crappy in it and in few weeks time you gonna have to go back there and they make up some story saying this part is going bad and you have to replace it etc.

I hope it doesn't happen here. In my dealer, they stop you from entering their service area but it's an open area so you actually stand far away and watch them do it.

make sure they change your fuel filter @ 30,000k & every 30,000k as injectors are not cheap.

I was told the new i30 don't need changing fuel filter at 30,000k. It's at 45,000k the guy said. I'll definitely confirm on the day though. I have 8 years warranty with them, it's their loss if something goes wrong.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I was told the new i30 don't need changing fuel filter at 30,000k. It's at 45,000k the guy said. I'll definitely confirm on the day though. I have 8 years warranty with them, it's their loss if something goes wrong.

It's definitely at 30,000k..... :victory:

http://www.hyundai.com.au/ArticleDocuments/141/PassengerCRDi_i30_i40.pdf.aspx

Offline rickai

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Hurstville NSW
Yea, I asked the guy multiple times if it was 30k, he even went to look at some manual to back his claim. He probably misread, eitherway, even if it gets changed, I should still be charged at $289 since it's capped servicing.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
One of the services I had done by Hyundai was at 45,000 klm.  I had skipped the 30,000 klm service by them (they wanted $450, I think, and I thought that was rubbish; instead, I just changed the oil and put a new air filter in) and while they had the car for the service at 45,000 klm, the workshop manager phoned me and said I shouldn't be driving the car as the fuel filter hadn't been changed.

Eventually, at 58,000 klms I got them to change the fuel filter.  It's now done 101,000 klms.  I had better think about changing the fuel filter sometime but I might leave it until 116,000 klm.
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
One of the services I had done by Hyundai was at 45,000 klm.  I had skipped the 30,000 klm service by them (they wanted $450, I think, and I thought that was rubbish; instead, I just changed the oil and put a new air filter in) and while they had the car for the service at 45,000 klm, the workshop manager phoned me and said I shouldn't be driving the car as the fuel filter hadn't been changed.

Eventually, at 58,000 klms I got them to change the fuel filter.  It's now done 101,000 klms.  I had better think about changing the fuel filter sometime but I might leave it until 116,000 klm.
Don't wait too long. You want to keep that car running for a long time :)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

Same thought has crossed my mind, too.  :'(

They always return the empties, but after pouring it into a mixed drum probably. The customer waiting room is not within sight of the servicing area where we go.  :fum:
They should build mechanic bays, with your own VIP coffee room right next to your car :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :agreed:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

The service price is capped, not fixed so there is no logical reason why they can't deduct the cost of the oil and filters off the price if you supply them....  :undecided:

As I mentioned to some of the guys previously I supplied better oil to my Toyota Dealer at my Hybrid 30,000 service and they took around $40 off my $130 fixed price so I only paid $90  :victory:

Plus, somehow they left my Car Cam running so I got to see them sniff my Shell Helix Ultra Oil  :wacko: and pour it in!  :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

As I mentioned to some of the guys previously I supplied better oil to my Toyota Dealer at my Hybrid 30,000 service and they took around $40 off my $130 fixed price so I only paid $90  :victory:

Plus, somehow they left my Car Cam running so I got to see them sniff my Shell Helix Ultra Oil  :wacko: and pour it in!  :lol:
Who the heck sniffs oil????? :neutral: Weirdo :lol: :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'll try and remember to post some of the highlights including the "sniffing" bit once I get my new SSD drive in and my main PC working properly again!

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

I'll try and remember to post some of the highlights including the "sniffing" bit once I get my new SSD drive in and my main PC working properly again!
Sounds good :lol: :lol:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That was last weekend's job, Dazz  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That was last weekend's job, Dazz  :whistler:

The drive hasn't arrived yet! Mwave are usually good. :fum: In transit with Australia Post.

I should have got it from ebay! Found it after I ordered for same price with free postage  :Pout:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
That's a good enough excuse.  :lol: :goodjob2:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
suppose its possible but i ask for oil container back & to see replaced parts. if your paranoid  mark the new filters or oil filters too i don't care if they put it in service records i got five year or should i say two left.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

I am surprised so many people think all mechanic are robbers and thieves. :disapp:

Just because you don't like the price they quote you, they don't all need to be bad people. If you don't trust your mechanic/dealer, go somewhere else or DIY.

Choosing the right mechanic to service & maintain your car is certainly a matter of trust.

Asterix, ex-mechanic & Service Manager.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
@Asterix, you're very correct. Unfortunately, a few bad apples.... etc etc.  I have an excellent mechanic that services my wife's Peugeot... but only works on French cars (good marketing strategy that. There will always be work availabale lol) .

I guess it's the massive car dealerships that churn out servicing like a sausage machine that concerns me most and whether they really bother with individual requests to use own oil in the rush of the day.  For example, waiting for my car to be serviced and after 1 hour told that it was finished and was presented with a 4 page printout of all the things done.  Of course my first question was how they managed to do all that in 1 hour and whether mine was the only car that day.

No insult intended on specific mechanics per se.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@Asterix, you're very correct. Unfortunately, a few bad apples.... etc etc.  I have an excellent mechanic that services my wife's Peugeot... but only works on French cars (good marketing strategy that. There will always be work availabale lol) .

I guess it's the massive car dealerships that churn out servicing like a sausage machine that concerns me most and whether they really bother with individual requests to use own oil in the rush of the day.  For example, waiting for my car to be serviced and after 1 hour told that it was finished and was presented with a 4 page printout of all the things done.  Of course my first question was how they managed to do all that in 1 hour and whether mine was the only car that day.

No insult intended on specific mechanics per se.
Had the same with my daughter's Accent in Darwin late last year.  Took them 45 minutes.  :disapp:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline matt_in_syd23

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I work for Barry Smith, if there is any extra oil left we leave it back in the car for topping up,if there isn't any left you can always ask for the bottle back. Most of the time customers supply their own oil it's a cost related purchase and not a quality related purchase. Service times, depending on our work load or owner pick up times we may have 2 mechanic's on a car at anytime.

As stated in a previous post if your not happy or don't trust your service centre ring around or try somewhere else, life's to short to deal with people you don't trust.

Matt

• i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal