i30 Owners Club

antenna signal

seztor · 9 · 4628

Offline seztor

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Grenaa
Hey guys

When I got my my car there was a pioneer avic radio in it. The signal was ok but not as good as in my old car. In December last year I got a new radio from Panasonic 2din, because the signal was getting worse. That diddent help. Last week I got a new antenna stick and antenna foot. Changed it last day and it's still same problem. When I drive out on the country the signal is weak and small disturbance in the back ground. It can only reach the big stations. In my parent's car a Volvo v70 it catches lots of stations that my can't.

What the hell is wrong guys?? I don't know what to do now. I've also tried a signal booster on eBay. Cost 10 pund.
I hope you can give some clues to what to do

Regards Rene
  • Hyundai I30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Which band are you referring to AM, FM or both, and what type of aerial did you have in your old car?
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Over here we're being encouraged to go to digital radio sets.   Being a bit of a dinasour I won't be botherin..

Hope you can get to the bottom of the problem  :goodjob:

Offline seztor

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Grenaa
Which band are you referring to AM, FM or both, and what type of aerial did you have in your old car?

FM :)
Its and 2007 model I have.
  • Hyundai I30 CRDI 1.6

Offline seztor

• 2nd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Grenaa
Over here we're being encouraged to go to digital radio sets.   Being a bit of a dinasour I won't be botherin..

Hope you can get to the bottom of the problem  :goodjob:

That could be and idea :) But do u think that would help? It really dosent make any sense this here :-(
  • Hyundai I30 CRDI 1.6

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Unless the wire to the radio is faulty, (highly unlikely), the only suggestions I can offer are

- Check the wire and fittings at each end for any damage or poor connection.

- Take the car to a location where the signal is weak. Take a vehicle with a known good radio as well and do a comparison (you'll need a friend). If there is a major difference in performance, take a proper FM radio size aerial with you and test your radio with this aerial.

If there is no difference, then the radio is of dubious quality or may be getting too old. Components in electronic devices change over time due to heat stress, some even fail. Corrosion can also become a factor if located near sea spray.

Your options would be to have the unit checked to test the circuit, or buy a better, proven radio, with digital, to keep up with technology.

The original aerial fitted to the i30, is a wire wound boosted aerial AFAIK.

FM reception can be patchy at the best of times and isn't ever a long range alternative.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Don't make any assumptions about what is good until it has been tested. Always eliminate parts of the problem by substitution and comparison, starting with the easiest things first. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Your problem seztor will be that the built in antenna amplifier (built into the car by Hyundai because of the small antenna) was not connected when the first aftermarket unit was fitted.

I didn't know about it either when I changed mine to a Kenwood double DIN. I went back to the shop I bought it from to see if I missed something, and sure as hell, I did. I can't tell you which wire is the positive you need to supply to power the amp because I did mine quite a while ago. From memory it's blue and again from memory it in the connector that the power, light etc come through. The other connector does the speakers.

If you can find an original head unit, it has a sticker with the pinout, from where you can deduct which wire is for the amp. The radio supplies that when it's turned on, your head unit, even the old aftermarket would probably have a pin for that.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Excellent answer Hati, nothing like personal experience. :goodjob2: :goodjob:

If you can tell me which type of radio was originally fitted, I can give you the plug wiring diagram.

Was it the small radio, without temperature display or with temp display  :question:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal