Biker crash caught on police camera - video

eye30 · 55 · 8210

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
 A crash captured on a police car camera shows what can happen when motorcyclists try to filter into traffic too quickly.

A 30-year-old biker from Dorset was filtering past slower traffic but was travelling too quickly to be able to stop safely. As a car pulls out of the junction in front of him, the biker hits the brakes hard enough for his motorbike to tilt up on its front wheel before he collides with the now stationary vehicle.

The car driver was unhurt but the biker suffered a broken leg, a spinal fracture and tissue damage amongst other injuries and spent three weeks in hospital as a result.

Biker crash caught on police camera - video - BT
Police Constable Chris Smith, Dorset’s BikeSafe coordinator, says a number of collisions, including the one featured in the video, have involved motorcyclists failing to filter past traffic safely.

“Filtering is perfectly legal for bikers to do but only when done safely.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Serves him right....... that was the dumbest law to be passed in awhile here in NSW. They should have to sit in traffic just like everyone else.... :neutral:
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
That looked more like bombarding, than filtering.  :eek:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
No matter how safe we make the world, Darwin's theory finds a way to kill off the stupid.......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Serves him right....... that was the dumbest law to be passed in awhile here in NSW. They should have to sit in traffic just like everyone else.... :neutral:

Them's fighting words...... :whistler:

Why is it the dumbest law?
When done correctly filtering/lanesplitting has been proven to be both safe and eases congestion....surely that is beneficial to everyone?

Why would you rather they sat in traffic like everyone else, do you enjoy sitting in traffic so much that you'd like to spend even more time there?  :rolleyes:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Just got to view that video and that wasn't filtering, It was overtaking, pure and simple....   :head_butt:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Them's fighting words...... :whistler:

Why is it the dumbest law?
When done correctly filtering/lanesplitting has been proven to be both safe and eases congestion....surely that is beneficial to everyone?

Why would you rather they sat in traffic like everyone else, do you enjoy sitting in traffic so much that you'd like to spend even more time there?  :rolleyes:

Settle, petal. :winker:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Lol

But it really isn't  easing congestion, your just pushing it further up the road. And if they were behind me they aren't causing congestion for me. And they come to close to side mirrors as wekl.

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
That doesn't fit my definition of filtering; like Rusty says. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I think the police officer has used the word "filtering" in a gramatical sense rather than how it is used to describe a particular trffic manouvre.

Not really a big issue. The video speaks for itself. A shame the car driver had to suffer car damage thanks to an act of stupidity.
But that sort of thing happens on our roads every day.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Lol

But it really isn't  easing congestion, your just pushing it further up the road. And if they were behind me they aren't causing congestion for me. And they come to close to side mirrors as wekl.

You might like to read this....  :)

Wemoto News ? Impact Analysis of commuting by motorcycle

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Freeways, no problem, there aren't traffic lights. But what about around town? With lights? Most people slow down to let them ahead. Which slows down the amount of cars that get through.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Not sure what you're saying, traffic lights are a perfect place for motorcyclists to filter.

Riders will, if able to, filter right through to the front of the line and are usually first away when the lights change so I fail to see how traffic is being slowed....  :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The video speaks for itself. A shame the car driver had to suffer car damage thanks to an act of stupidity.

Who's insurance takes the hit?

the car driver for crossing into the path if a vehicle on the main road?

The driver of the car that let the car driver out of the side road?

Or the motor cyclist?

Or all 3?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I say the motorcyclist, driving on wrong side of the road.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Hard to say.... :undecided:

While it's easy to blame the motorcyclist, was he actually breaking any laws?
On the other hand isn't the car driver pulling out of the side road required to give way and to make sure it's safe before pulling out?  :undecided:

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
Not sure what you're saying, traffic lights are a perfect place for motorcyclists to filter.

Riders will, if able to, filter right through to the front of the line and are usually first away when the lights change so I fail to see how traffic is being slowed....  :undecided:
I was coming home the other week during peek hour and just so happened that 5 motor bikes in a row decided to filter to the front of the line at a light to turn R at a T intersection. And the three cars in the front went at a snails pace until they all got by. And the light I was at doesn't last long. So guess who didn't get to go thru the light and had to wait another rotation.  :)

I don't think I will be swayed on this debate. Im anti any sort of two wheeled going through traffic like that.

You definitely don't want me to get started on pushy's using the major roads that don't have bike lanes or use them. Makes me feel like getting one of these

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tally+decal+for+car0 :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

On the other hand isn't the car driver pulling out of the side road required to give way and to make sure it's safe before pulling out?  :undecided:
As is anyone performing an overtaking manouvre.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

The car in front was enough distance for him to get out, and he or she would have looked to the left before getting into traffic, Most people don't look against the flow of traffic for oncoming vehicles.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

I was coming home the other week during peek hour and just so happened that 5 motor bikes in a row decided to filter to the front of the line at a light to turn R at a T intersection. And the three cars in the front went at a snails pace until they all got by. And the light I was at doesn't last long. So guess who didn't get to go thru the light and had to wait another rotation.  :)

I don't think I will be swayed on this debate. Im anti any sort of two wheeled going through traffic like that.

You definitely don't want me to get started on pushy's using the major roads that don't have bike lanes or use them. Makes me feel like getting one of these

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=tally+decal+for+car+for+run+0 :lol:

All I can say is you're entitled to your opinion but at the end of the day filtering is legal so you might as well accept it....oh, and roads aren't the exclusive domain for the motor car so we all need to be tolerant of other road users....  :)

How does one give way to someone pulling out like that?  :undecided:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

The car in front was enough distance for him to get out, and he or she would have looked to the left before getting into traffic, Most people don't look against the flow of traffic for oncoming vehicles.

Or did the driver wave the car from the side road!

If so, they are partly to blame. Aren't they.

But again it is up to the driver of the car entering the road to make sure it us safe to proceed.

It is just like the use of flashing headlights.....
Flashing headlights isn't a come on, come on thro',  but to warn others of your presence.

Therefore, if an accident is caused by a driver acting on the flashing of another car headlights they are at fault..........

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

But it is not only the blokes on decent bikes that are doing the filtering,goes back to a story I told a while ago,when this issue was again brought up(I have not problem with filtering if done correctly and safely)the 200Kilo dumbasses riding those 48CC scooters(which SHOULD BE banned),who filter through and then haven't got the power to get away from even loaded semi's
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are they any worse than bicycles though, Rick?  :undecided:

Does make a good argument for allowing small capacity scooters to also use bicycle lanes....Trouble is, the bicycle crowd are very protective of their lanes so won't have a bar of any other road user using them....:(

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

But it is not only the blokes on decent bikes that are doing the filtering,goes back to a story I told a while ago,when this issue was again brought up(I have not problem with filtering if done correctly and safely)the 200Kilo dumbasses riding those 48CC scooters(which SHOULD BE banned),who filter through and then haven't got the power to get away from even loaded semi's
:whsaid:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen
Well I finally got to see,the video,that bloke WAS NOT filtering,just being a nob,travelling WAY to fast for those road conditions and situation,he'll heal and probably go out and do something stupid again after a period of time after this one.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia

• miracles can happen

Does make a good argument for allowing small capacity scooters to also use bicycle lanes....Trouble is, the bicycle crowd are very protective of their lanes so won't have a bar of any other road user using them....:(

The fortunate thing is but,most Bicyclists I come across,don't put themselves between two loaded trucks in the center,also most I come across nine out of ten times if a truck is at the front of the line,they stay behind you and most will stay within your mirror vision.

Personally,I think those small CC scooters should simply be banned,they create a huge hazard on the roads,I have nothing against scooters,but the minimum size sold should be 150CC,I have a regular encounter with one going up through the hills here,every afternoon,two young riders on one of these scooters,it causes a huge traffic jam in peak hour,because they can't get over 25-30 kph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Well, talk about wanting your cake and eating it, too. :disapp:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

One doesn't. One HAS a responsibility to make sure it's safe BEFORE making any overtaking manouvre, And anybody who doesn't consider visibility around other vehicles is asking for trouble.
And yes. As such he was breaking the law.
I think you'll find both the motor cyclist and the car driver puling out would be in breach. But I still say, I understand how a car driver could easily be caught out by a bike or a car overtaking blind.
The motor cyclist is an impatient idiot.

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love

One doesn't. One HAS a responsibility to make sure it's safe BEFORE making any overtaking manouvre, And anybody who doesn't consider visibility around other vehicles is asking for trouble.
And yes. As such he was breaking the law.
I think you'll find both the motor cyclist and the car driver puling out would be in breach. But I still say, I understand how a car driver could easily be caught out by a bike or a car overtaking blind.
The motor cyclist is an impatient idiot.
:Agoodpost: :agreed:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

In oz do ALL motor bikes when moving have to have headlights on by law ?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal