i30 Owners Club

Brakes - genuine or non genuine ?

Mal · 26 · 12132

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Woodvale, Western Australia
Hi folks,

My i30 will require some new pads in the next 10k or so I think. Its done 82k on the originals and at the last service it was indicated they were still OK but should be carefully reviewed at the next service.  :neutral:

I also experience a knock when I move off sometimes which has been suggested to be the pads releasing after being 'stuck' ?????????????  :eek:

Question - I've always used genuine pads after using non genuine 20 plus years ago but I never found the brakes to work as well with non genuine. Genrally the brake pressure went up - maybe the pad material was too hard ? 
Technology has come a long way since then and looking at the amazing prise of the Hyundai parts against very reputable non-genuine parts such as Bendix etc I'm wondering which way to go ?

Bearing in mind I've heard stories of discs wearing out in 20K on other cars when non genuine have been fitted its a worry !

Does anyone have any experience to pass on re this ?

I've had quotes on the front pads from Mr Hyundai up to $200 for them ???????

Bendix are around $60 !!!!

Any thoughts on that clunk would be appreciated too ?????????????????  ;)

Mal

• 2011 i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have you searched eBay for supply of original pads.  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
I had disc go on previous cars after using different brakes.  Whether or not it was caused by the brakes or just wear I couldn't give ya a 100% right answer
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Bendix are fine, but as you suspect, there are a range of options. Best talk to a nearby brake expert about what would best suit your car and ask about your concerns regarding rotor wear.

As to the knock, is it like the one you get when your brakes are wet (after washing) and you park it wet with the handbrake on. Then the next day, a small amount of surface rusting has "welded" the pads to the rotors. Not a problem if it's that. Is it in the front or the back?
It could indicate  a sticking caliper which is worth looking into if you've only going to get about 80K out of your originals. I think most of us on here are getting more than that. Mine aren't half worn at 70k.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Bendix are fine, but as you suspect, there are a range of options. Best talk to a nearby brake expert about what would best suit your car and ask about your concerns regarding rotor wear.

As to the knock, is it like the one you get when your brakes are wet (after washing) and you park it wet with the handbrake on. Then the next day, a small amount of surface rusting has "welded" the pads to the rotors. Not a problem if it's that. Is it in the front or the back?
It could indicate  a sticking caliper which is worth looking into if you've only going to get about 80K out of your originals. I think most of us on here are getting more than that. Mine aren't half worn at 70k.
Like SD,I would be looking at why you have worn the original pads out so fast,like SD,I have traveled well over 90,000 k in Bruce and over 100,000 K in Cyril,at last inspection of both cars,a few weeks ago,both still had almost 3/4 of the original meat on them,next to no disk wear(scratching'pitting or scoring)mind you looking at your area I suspect you do much more stop start driving than I do(my brakes ONLY get used when absolutely necessary  :lol:,like when I'm actually going to hit something,maybe this is why I go through so many tyres  :whistler:)

Anyhow back to topic,as for Bendix and as you said,brake tech has come a long way in twenty years,I personally think they are a dirty pad,I don't use them,and at $200 a set,I wouldn't be using originals,unless I could get them for a closer price to an average of other brands,also as SD said I would be consulting a brake expert,,over the past few years I have lost all confidence in Hyundai's not only prices but their quality of workmanship.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
As Surferdude has pointed out there are several types of brake pads and Bendix are  good . In the past I found that the softer compound pads seem to pull up more efficiently but wore out quicker and the metal king pads ( very hard abrasive compound ) lasted longer  but wore the rotor disk out quicker. I used to settle for the softer compound ones rather than replace rotor disk. Maybe find out what compound  they use on the Hyundai and you could possibly use  after market ones . I don't know if this will effect warranty on a Hyundai but on a new Ford Falcon I had, brakes were not covered, even when I had a distorted front disc sending shuddering through the steering on braking after only 10.000ks  Ford did not want to know even though it was a known fault. Surferdudes advice about consulting a brake expert is well worth doing .

Sorry Rick, Post clashed with yours thats why its similar .
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 13:34:45 by John B »
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I've used the Brembo pads on a couple of cars,by the time you get fronts and rears only a little cheaper than Hy set,but I believe they would be a far superior product,from memory (as i used them some years ago) they where an excellent product.
Over the years I have also tried some of the budget brands on vehicles I was getting rid of,never came across a budget brake pad,I was really fully happy with.
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline TheReaper

• 6th Gear
  • Mad Medic

• au Australia
      Newcastle, NSW

• Live laugh and love
As Surferdude has pointed out there are several types of brake pads and Bendix are  good . In the past I found that the softer compound pads seem to pull up more efficiently but wore out quicker and the metal king pads ( very hard abrasive compound ) lasted longer  but wore the rotor disk out quicker. I used to settle for the softer compound ones rather than replace rotor disk. Maybe find out what compound  they use on the Hyundai and you could possibly use  after market ones . I don't know if this will effect warranty on a Hyundai but on a new Ford Falcon I had, brakes were not covered, even when I had a distorted front disc sending shuddering through the steering on braking after only 10.000ks  Ford did not want to know even though it was a known fault. Surferdudes advice about consulting a brake expert is well worth doing .

Hey John. Anything thatis consumed by the car, e.g. oils, coolant or worn down by use, e.g. tires, brakes, rotors, air filters are not covered by warranty.
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 GD Active 1.6 L, 6 Speed Automatic, Diesel

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Hey John. Anything thatis consumed by the car, e.g. oils, coolant or worn down by use, e.g. tires, brakes, rotors, air filters are not covered by warranty.

Some of these are covered, tyres, brake pads, but to a limited extent and not the full 5 years or whatever in the country of sale.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
hyundai i30 brake pads | eBay

Nice find Rusty (nobody else noticed yet!) :goodjob:

I did, yeah good job Rusty  :goodjob2:

Weird though, sometimes the OEM item doesn't appear.  :Dunno:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Warranty has two interpretations. The first is the staed one, which has some limits.
The other is "fit for purpose" and it is this one Ford (and GMH at times) fell foul of with their rotors. They developed "hot spots" which caused a pulsating pedal, through no fault of the user. Machining would stop the vibration for a while but the only long term solution was to replace the rotors. The vehicle manufacturers did everything they could to avoid warranting them but with perserverance by the owner, often gave in.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Right on S/D that's exactly what the problem with the disc was, I put up a good argument but Ford would not acknowledge the problem, was very disappointing being a new car. And yes Dazz did see the link for Ebay and much appreciated.Thanks Rusty. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Folks,
very many thanks for all the interesting replies.
I thought I was doing quite well with still road worthy pads at 82k but now I'm wondering Rick !  :lol:   
Brembo pads .... I hadn't even considered those but as their brakes seem to be on all the exotic machinery they obviously know what they are doing and make i30 pads too ! Worth a look at.
It never fails to amaze me how some car manufacturers still get it wrong. Recalls concerning brakes problems etc are still happening which in 2014 shouldn't be happening.
I also reflect on a fleet of Toyota Corollas I know about that consistently require brake attention ( every 5k due to pad glazing. Not just one of them but all of them. This was the previous model to to latest one. Factory pads have to be fitted for insurance purposes so the problem continues. 
Back to the i30 .... the only issue I have with the factory pads is the price. The discs still look perfect which leads me to believe the material combination is correct. Factory pads for my previous Vienta were around $60 and very good. I must admit I had to find the right dealership though. I've rung around Hyundai dealers and they are all different too - do they just make up a price depending on how they feel - I wonder  :wacko:

• 2011 i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Toyota Corollas I know about that consistently require brake attention ( every 5k due to pad glazing. Not just one of them but all of them. This was the previous model to to latest one. Factory pads have to be fitted for insurance purposes so the problem continues. 

Can you explain this Mal? I've never run across it before.
The insurance bit I mean.

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi Surferdude,

The Toyota's are all leased and their company insists on only genuine parts are fitted.
I agree with this policy except in this instance there was an ongoing issue with 'glazing' of the pads which shows itself to the driver as brake noise akin to no material left on the pads i.e. metal on metal !
Not a nice sound. :'(
Hopefully the latest model will be fault free !  :)

My i30 has been looked over by the dealership who believes the 'clunk' to have been loose strut bolts ?
Unfortunately the noise is still there. I didn't get out of their car park without hearing it again.  :(
I appreciate these intermittent noises can be difficult to pin point so I wont be too hard on them.
Apparently the warrentee wasn't going to cover this work either, around $140, but because they service the vehicle there was no charge !
You can come to your own conclusion on that one ?     

I will replace the pads ASAP and see what happens next.

Mal

• 2011 i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
$100 from Hyspares...

Brake pad kit, front

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Surferdude,

The Toyota's are all leased and their company insists on only genuine parts are fitted.
I agree with this policy except in this instance there was an ongoing issue with 'glazing' of the pads which shows itself to the driver as brake noise akin to no material left on the pads i.e. metal on metal !

My i30 has been looked over by the dealership who believes the 'clunk' to have been loose strut bolts ?
Unfortunately the noise is still there. I didn't get out of their car park without hearing it again.  :(
I appreciate these intermittent noises can be difficult to pin point so I wont be too hard on them.
Apparently the warrentee wasn't going to cover this work either, around $140, but because they service the vehicle there was no charge !

Mal

I would run a mile from any lease that required me to use genuine parts....This is just providing the robber with a gun....

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Surferdude,

Mal

I would run a mile from any lease that required me to use genuine parts....This is just providing the robber with a gun....
I agree. But Mal has at least explained why genuine parts "have" to be used.
And perhaps there are other components of the leasing contract which make it attractive. It's probably not fair to single out one item I guess.
However, most leasing companies want the cheapest option when it comes to servicing so, it's really an unusual situation.

Offline Mal

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
PS - many thanks Mr Beerman for the Hyspares tip.

Being in WA postage plays a large role in the total cost of things but they certainly seem to have some very good prices.  :goodjob2:
I also wonder if they are in fact really genuine Hyundai parts ?
I guess Hyundai would source their parts from 'far and wide' anyway, but the specs are really what its all about isn't it.  :undecided:
Mal 

• 2011 i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You would have to ask, but I have sourced genuine Hyundai stuff from far and wide, never from Hyundai.....

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal