i30 Owners Club

R U S T !

piper · 37 · 11822

Offline piper

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Uppsala
I bought my -09 Vivid Blue crdi in December. When spring cleaning and detailing the car this weekend I found a rust "rose" on the trunk lid. Went to the dealer today and showed them what it looked like, and they said that quite a few of the new ones have showed the same symptoms. Of course they will fix it, but I would never have suspected this problem in a car just five months old!!!

So all of you with the newer i30's: Carefully check your paint! My rust spot was in a place where I couldn't miss it, but it could have been anywhere less obvious. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

The spot is approx. 3-4 mm in diameter... This sux big time...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cripees! Didn't happen to take a photo I suppose..? (if anyone else finds one please do...) :eek:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia

I'm going to check mine every week That's bad :'(

Pip

I'm going to check mine every week That's bad :'(

I suspected the paint was not quite as good as it could be and it prompted me to "polish" it when just a month old whereas the paint on my last car, a Mitsubishi was never touched and in fact while seldom washed (honestly, only probably twice a year) showed no signs of paint problems in the 15 years I kept it - in fact it shone from day one to the last day whenever I washed the dirt off.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
So long as it is "inside to out" you are covered under the body/paint warranty in the Uk.

Is that the same eslewhere?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i have never had a car go rusty on me yet, but two late model toyota's at work are going rusty from were they have paint chips, my falcon ute has some paint chips but the bare metal does not seem to rust on that/ must have a cemical process? a guy at work said all imported cars go rusty? i just thought all new cars these day go through a anti rust process before painting am i wrong?

Offline piper

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Uppsala
The mech told me that there hasn't been one single problem with rust until the latest i30's started to show these signs. Must be a problem in the factory paint shop or something like that. Whatever it is it's a p.i.t.a. since this is what you shouldn't expect from a new car no matter what brand. Apart from this I've been extremely happy since day one, but my trust in Hyundai is almost gone. Right now I'm working on a letter to Hyundai Sweden to let them know how frustrated I am. If I get an answer I'll let you all know... :twisted:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
...but my trust in Hyundai is almost gone. Right now I'm working on a letter to Hyundai Sweden to let them know how frustrated I am...

But didn't you say it was going to be sorted out? Don't lose heart my friend... it's just one of those things. Upsetting I know, but you are covered by a comprehensive warranty

PS for those following this thread using "show unread posts", the original post has now got a pic attached - thanks piper
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline piper

• 2nd Gear

• se Sweden
      Uppsala
Yeah, I guess you're right Shambles. The blood is boiling but hey, it's a material thing... Thanks for cooling me down. I needed that! 8)

And - spring is finally here! :D

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Yeah, I guess you're right Shambles. The blood is boiling but hey, it's a material thing... Thanks for cooling me down. I needed that! 8)

And - spring is finally here! :D

You must be in the Northern Hemisphere.  Your car wouldnt happen to have come from the Eastern European Hyundai plant would it?  Not that I'm saying thats a bad thing, but being a new plant half way around the world from HQ, there is bound to be a few teething problems.  Not good tho.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This tread had me worried but hopefully Lucifer is right.. and it was just a teething problem at the European plant.. Anyone had a Korean Built one with this issue?

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
How can we tell where our i30s were made?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

How can we tell where our i30s were made?

I think it is the first letter in the VIN number (K for Korea) not sure what letter for the European plant..

I did read somewhere you could tell by the VIN number but cant find the reference at the moment... 

I am sure all Aussie deliveries are from Korea...

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

I think there is a few minor differences, I seen it in a post on this forum before but I cant seem to find it.  Obvious ones seem to be that the little storage box on the top of the dash is missing, headlight internals are black instead of chrome (on the euro models)

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
Ours has chrome headlamps and there's a storage box atop the dash, so I'll presume it's Korean for now and check the VIN when I next go out.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun

Offline jarsski

• 2nd Gear

• fi Finland
      H

• i30cw 2.0 crdi style
I believe its not rust. In most cases I've heard when talking about new cars it has been zinc problem. Its error that has been done at factory. Steel havent been clean enough when deploying zinc layer, and therefore it acts like rust (starts bubling).

I know one case here in finland, that i30 'trunk' or what its called, had this zinc error and it was fixed emmideatly.

Zinc error is quite common in new cars, which has been manufactured under strict chemical rules. If I remember correctly, passenger cars that comes to EU market, can consume only one litre of dissolvent during manufacturing. This includes ALL processes that buiding car needs. No wonder if zinc and all other paintjob problems are so common.

again sorry about my english

We jus took nice hour and half cruising drive here at Hämeenlinna ( / Finland with my wife and our dog :) ... car works well and after 5300km we are 100% happy with it :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

car works well and after 5300km we are 100% happy with it :)

Your English is fine (great post.. thanks for that info)

With a 2.0 litre Crdi CW wagon so you should be - yum  :mrgreen:

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Looks like this isnt an isolated case :(

Ive just found one washing the car , just below the rear hatch glass on that little ledge the water likes to pool on.

Sad panda day ...

This is ontop of hitting something in it a couple of weeks ago but thats another story ...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Not good m8.. I don't have that problem.. (no time to wash the car lately.. :cool:)

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
do Australian i30 owners get corrosion warranty  :question:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
To me its a failure as the paint has rusted from below (inside to out).

Ive taken it to a dealer today who took pictures and sent them off to Hyundai so I'm awaiting a call/email or the likes back from them as to exactly what is going to happen.

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
I have a 07 red i30 and just noticed  that the clear gloss coating on one of the doors is starting to peel [a bit like sunburnt skin] maybe the australian sun but it is on the outside so be my wallet I would say unless there are a few. Anyone else had this problem??
Merlot

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :'( I think the Turkish guys reported this on the red ones too, I'll have a look for the post.

EDIT:  https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3073.msg28603.html#msg28603
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Try googling for "clearcoat failure" I recall the meguairs forum has a long thread on the subject. My car current has just started to do it, but it it 11 years old.

Offline Slowyak

• 1st Gear
Hi guys,

My wife has a Korean-made i30 - 1.6L petrol version - that we bought a month ago in Malaysia. There's a couple of rust spots that I spotted on the inside of the rear boot lid. They are around the nuts holding the boot lid struts up. I think the force used in torquing the nuts stripped away the paint round the nuts, and the area has started to rust pretty badly. It's a small area, but since I live in rainy, wet Malaysia, the rust seems pretty bad.

I used Hiolts anti-rust on the spots, hoping to turn the oxide into a sulphate, and dropped chain oil on them after they dried. Don't know whether that will work in the long term. Apart from that, we are very happy with the i30. So far, we haven't seen another i30 on the road in Kuala Lumpur and Port Klang, though there are quite a few i10s running round. The i10s seem pretty well built and solid. The i20 hasn't been introduced in Malaysia, yet!
Cheers,
Slowyak

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Hey Slowyak, apa kabar?  I'd get it back to the dealer for them to sort out.  Is the car a full import or is it assembled in Malaysia? I read somewhere before a lot of cars are shipped to Malaysia as parts and assembled to help the tax.  Do you get the manufacturer's warranty? 

Offline Slowyak

• 1st Gear
Hi Lucifer,

It's a full import from Ullsan, Korea, what they call in local jargon a CBU (completely built-up unit). Most Malaysians think we are mad to pay RM95,000 for a Korean-made car. But my wife decided that most Japanese cars sold here are under-specced and over-priced. The i30 is highly underrated in Malaysia, I am afraid.

We had decided to trade in our old Accent for the new generation Accent, but in Malaysia, the new Accent comes with only ONE airbag. Then she decided to try the Elantra (Avante to you guys) and was going to sign up for it. But the salesman and I insisted that she try the i30. Just 50 metres out of the dealership, and she said "this is the car for me!" The i30 is a driver's car, with solid suspension and a great balance between roadholding and handling. And then and there she changed her order from the new Accent to the i30. So far, she is still very much in love with the car, marvelling at its handling everyday! However, the 1.6L model comes with just 2 airbags and no ESP.

Incidentally, the i10 comes as a CKD (complete knocked down) unit in Malaysia. In truth, the assemblers just bolt on tyres, wheels and seats. That's the way the local assembler has gotten round the prohibitive import taxes for CBUs, laregly designed to protect the local car manufacturer Proton. So the i10 is a great buy for folks looking for a small car in Malaysia - around RM40,000.

Cheers,
Slowyak

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

Hi Lucifer,

It's a full import from Ullsan, Korea, what they call in local jargon a CBU (completely built-up unit). Most Malaysians think we are mad to pay RM95,000 for a Korean-made car. But my wife decided that most Japanese cars sold here are under-specced and over-priced. The i30 is highly underrated in Malaysia, I am afraid.

We had decided to trade in our old Accent for the new generation Accent, but in Malaysia, the new Accent comes with only ONE airbag. Then she decided to try the Elantra (Avante to you guys) and was going to sign up for it. But the salesman and I insisted that she try the i30. Just 50 metres out of the dealership, and she said "this is the car for me!" The i30 is a driver's car, with solid suspension and a great balance between roadholding and handling. And then and there she changed her order from the new Accent to the i30. So far, she is still very much in love with the car, marvelling at its handling everyday! However, the 1.6L model comes with just 2 airbags and no ESP.

Incidentally, the i10 comes as a CKD (complete knocked down) unit in Malaysia. In truth, the assemblers just bolt on tyres, wheels and seats. That's the way the local assembler has gotten round the prohibitive import taxes for CBUs, laregly designed to protect the local car manufacturer Proton. So the i10 is a great buy for folks looking for a small car in Malaysia - around RM40,000.

Cheers,
Slowyak

If thats the case you should be protected under the Hyundai warranty for corrosion, I'd take it back to the dealer. 

As for the Elantra, it's called Elantra still in Australia, not Avante.  A friend in Kucing told me Protons are not held in very high regard in Malaysia, especially reliability.  He was surprised when I told him they sell a few models in Australia and they sell a reasonable amount of them.  Even Top Gear Australia used a Proton as the 'star in a reasonably priced car' - not that that is saying much! 

It always takes a few years for badge snobbery to disappear when manufacturers from other countries produce good cars

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal