i30 Owners Club

Ring lost down front windscreen demister vent

Josh176 · 37 · 11156

Offline Josh176

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi All,

I could really use some help here, my fiance has dropped her engagement ring down the front windscreen demister vent, and I would really like to get it out for her.

What is the best way to get in there? Is there a trap where anything that fall in there gets stuck?

Its is a i30 MY11.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks in Advance
  • i30

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
It could be worth trying to get it out with a thin piece of wire bent so that there is a hook on the end.  Someone else might have more knowledge of the venting ducts.

Put the system onto 'windscreen' and turn the fan up to the max???
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Try a piece of wire as Eureka said and then also try and put a dab of putty on it. I am not sure what it is called over there but we have this sticky putty called Prestik that would work perfectly for your situation. With any luck you will be able to fish it out of there, provided it fell onto a level place and not further down the vent pipes.

Good luck!
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sadly, I think the simplest way will be a trip to the dealer. The above ideas have merit, but the windscreen is going to stop any visual ability and will severely hinder any attempts to get the ring from the top. The dealers will know how to quickly get to the demister pipe.  :(
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Josh176

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Thing ring has fallen out of eyesight view so trying with a hook becomes very difficult to do - thanks for that idea though, is there any way to open the dash to access those vents?

The dealer has quoted over $700! So i want to leave that as a last resort...
  • i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :Shocked:

Easier to buy a new ring!
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Thing ring has fallen out of eyesight view so trying with a hook becomes very difficult to do - thanks for that idea though, is there any way to open the dash to access those vents?

The dealer has quoted over $700! So i want to leave that as a last resort...
Turn the car upside down :p

I am not sure on the process of opening the dash, unfortunately. Why would they ask so much just to remove a ring? Seems like they are preying on your desperation as they know it is a high-value item :(
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
Industrial strength MAGNET perhaps?  Good luck anyway. :'(
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
If you look under the bonnet or inside by the pedals and air con unit is there a drain hole for water?

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the unit.  This will give you a better idea of access points etc
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Eureka

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
$700 would be absolutely the last resort for me.  The putty idea might work.  The ring can't go anywhere.  Time is on your side. 
  • SX crdi manual 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
I have checked the workshop manual and the demister pipes are not even shown, only the heater and blower motor. To get to this part of the car requires removal of the instrument cluster, a support brace and the centre control panel which is a major intrusion to the vehicle. There is always the possibility that something is not replaced properly so I have come up with an alternative.

Given the quoted price, and unless someone else has more knowledge if the internals of the dashboard, I believe a radical approach may be cheaper.

It will be cheaper to go to a windscreen supplier and either have your windscreen replaced with a nice new one, or at the very least removed professionally so that you will have access to the offending demister pipe. If you have access to a miniature camera it would then be possible to negotiate your way to the ring and collect it by whatever means you can. The windscreen is then refitted and nothing is disturbed inside the car. Sorry, I can't think of a better solution.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
@Lester, Magnet won't work on gold, (Unless it's a plated iron ring)  :lol:

@Saracen The vents for the demister are on the other side of the heater core, so the ring can't get to the drain tube, but it might get stuck in the heater core, hope not.  :fum:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As a FIRST resort, I'd go with patience, persistence and a weighted lump of sticky putty tied to some strong string. Replicate the path of the loss as you go plumbing for your ring. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Coil cameras are easy to get hold of......first locate the ring....then get some sticky putty and place on one half of the camera. Send camera back down to relocate the ring and use it to nudge the ring onto the sticky putty that is attached to the camera.......If difficult to move the camera in position with the car as is, then it would be worth  to get windscreen removed and search without the glass in....it would probably cost about 80-100 bucks for his time.......if you go this route , get them to come to you as driving might shift the placement of the ring

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Endoscope (hire shop) then a small item retrieval device, readily available at all decent motor factors...   Problem solved  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

:link: Pick Up Tool Approx 14mm | Maplin

:link: HSS Hire - Endoscope Hire and Rent
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:36:05 by asathorny »

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I will do the job for less than 700   :lol: :lol:

Lets say 650.

fetch it round anytime, bring the cash with ya  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Good luck

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My bet, is that by now it's made its way down to the flow directors, which could actually make it a simpler task to locate, but you'll need to roll your sleeves up and do some intricate fiddling from beneath the lower dash.

Quote from: Josh176
... my fiance has dropped her engagement ring down the front windscreen demister vent ...
You really mean she threw it back at you... :whistler: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Would it be cheaper to buy a new ring?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I suppose a new fiancee is out of the question?   :undecided:  :mrgreen:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
Hey Josh, bummer about the ring.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-USB-Inspection-Camera-7m.aspx?pid=339092#Cross

Maybe you can use this as others have suggested to identify the location and retrieve the ring with a bit of something sticky on the end of the camera. It might be worth checking the camera will fit easily down the vent as well (thanks captain obvious). It says 10mm. It also looks like its got some attachments too which might be helpful:

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:53:52 by Aussie Keith »
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :happydance:

I can do my own colonoscopy  :goodjob2:

Offline Josh176

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have got one of those inspection cameras, and can see it but they are ridiculously hard to maneuver and have not been able to move it - so was hoping some way to get some other type of access to it other than just through the normal top vent
  • i30

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Now this may be worth a try.

Get a floor cleaner/hoover the type which has a tube on and then get a narrow bit of tubing which is narrow enough to go into the vent.

Attach the narrow tube to the larger tube possibly using tape but before you attach put a cloth between the two tubes.

Feed the narrow tube into the vent and position the tube above the ring.

Turn on the hoover and the ring is sucked into th tube.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Actually I have used the above method....what I did was attach the crevice nozzle to the end....insert the small tube.....taped the nozzle up so it was airtight, and only the suction came from the tube.....I didn't use a cloth because I put a new bag in so I didn't have to go looking thru the dust for the item.

Now tape the tube slightly longer than the camera end to the camera...feed it down the vent and when the camera sees the ring the suction is right there for you......

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
all these wild idea's, makes me wonder what these people get up to  :whistler:.
b4 i tried to do the vacuum trick, i would test it on another ring to see if indeed it would suck a ring up & hold it.
you would think cars would have a mesh protection to stop this happening, & why would your ring ( i mean engagement ring ) on the dash anyway.
good luck with it Josh. hope she does not give you more trouble.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Actually I have used the above method....what I did was attach the crevice nozzle to the end....insert the small tube.....taped the nozzle up so it was airtight, and only the suction came from the tube.....I didn't use a cloth because I put a new bag in so I didn't have to go looking thru the dust for the item.

Now tape the tube slightly longer than the camera end to the camera...feed it down the vent and when the camera sees the ring the suction is right there for you......

You have some really strange habits.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quote from: Doggie 1
You have some really strange habits.

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
So has Josh recovered the ring yet?  :'( :confused:

Not yet, too much "joshing" around on here... :snigger:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Josh176

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
So as an update - I managed to retrieve the ring very painstakingly - took about 5 hours to do it but i used the inspection camera and some sticky putty. I had to drive the car around a few corners to get the ring in a good position the use all my patience to slowly retrieve it - thanks all for your help.
  • i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal