i30 Owners Club

More bad news for Australian manufacturing

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :disapp: :fum:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's crazy.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
An interesting situation.  The government is required to get the best value for money for the taxpayer.  Why pay for $50 for something that somebody else can sell you for $25?  To exactly the same specifications.  Australian companies are pricing themselves out of the market.  Can we blame the Coalition for this one?  Or do we blame the Unions for demanding higher wages?  Or the owners of the company, wanting more profits that then drive up their prices?  I don't think that there is any one answer.

Of course there are other costs and benefits for making these boots in Australia, which should have been looked into by the DMO; including but not limited to Tax Revenue from Australian Companies, social costs, employment for Australians, training possibilities, etc.

It is a lose / lose situation.  If we decide to source from Australia, we get things like the ARH Tiger and MRH90 fiascos (a lot of assembly in Australia to create jobs, without providing capability on time).  If we source from overseas we get poorly made uniforms (seems coming apart after one wash) and the SeaSprite ($1.3bn programme scrapped without a capability delivered).

The Defence Force deserve quality, I hope that the quality control on these boots is good, and that the DMO has learnt from previous lessons.  Unfortunately, history tells us that this is rarely the case.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The savings from Rossi boots will be channeled into Newstart & Health Care Card expense with the underlying erosion of family confidence in Oz. Still  :fum: IMO.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Let's hope the inquiry pushed by the senators raises some interest in a different outcome. :disapp:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Or maybe, just maybe, they weren't good enough?

We shouldn't buy Australian just to keep jobs in Australia, otherwise this would be a Holden/Ford Forum, and not a Hyundai forum?

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
As an industry advocate, I'm all too familiar with the problem of propping up otherwise uneconomical enterprises. I'm just not comfortable we have quite the right balance. :confused:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I agree, Gonz, but should we spend money on a Senate inquiry just to see if we could have spent more money in Australia for the same product?

IMO, this will not cost jobs in Australia.  Rossi are still making boots here, unlike my favourite brand, Blundstones.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
What really gets up my nose is our Chinese made patent leather shoes, glued not stitched, which fall apart within months of purchase, only to be repaired with tacks and more glue to fall apart again within the next month. Only then will Defence replace them with new Chinese made shoes to repeat the cycle ad nauseam.

Oh but if you don't like that, you can buy (Doc Martens?) at literally ten times the price as long as you don't wear them for official functions.

Disgusting! :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Or maybe, just maybe, they weren't good enough?

We shouldn't buy Australian just to keep jobs in Australia, otherwise this would be a Holden/Ford Forum, and not a Hyundai forum?

My late uncle worked for this company all his life, they would have been good enough. If you've ever owned a pair of Rossiter's boots (I have), you would see the quality in the manufacturing. I can't wear them out.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
What really gets up my nose is our Chinese made patent leather shoes, glued not stitched, which fall apart within months of purchase, only to be repaired with tacks and more glue to fall apart again within the next month. Only then will Defence replace them with new Chinese made shoes to repeat the cycle ad nauseam.

Oh but if you don't like that, you can buy (Doc Martens?) at literally ten times the price as long as you don't wear them for official functions.

Disgusting! :fum:

As I mentioned in a previous post, the quality of the ADF uniforms has gone down dramatically.  Trousers falling apart at the seams.  Shoes coming apart.  I did buy three pairs of Doc Martens shoes when I was in the Navy, one of the best purchases I made.  I had a normal black pair, patent leather black, and a pair of white ones.  We were allowed to wear them at any time in the Navy, even on official duties.  BTW, the white ones were only purchased by Naval personnel, and nurses.

My Redback Boots had differing experiences, and all were made in Australia.  In one pair I would get one months wear out of them before the leather tongue tore (that's right, tore), the others, my Terra Boots (Gonz will know) were extremely comfortable, durable, and were my daily wear in the MEAO.  This included deck temperatures of 88 C!!

My late uncle worked for this company all his life, they would have been good enough. If you've ever owned a pair of Rossiter's boots (I have), you would see the quality in the manufacturing. I can't wear them out.

Maybe they priced themselves out of the tender process?  I know they are good boots, but did they meet the specs required for the ADF tender?

I'm being the Devil's Advocate here.  There are obviously more reasons why Rossi wasn't chosen.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Fully understand, there is a limit to everything. If they were $400 / pair we would all be complaining about that. It's still sad though. Why can't we stop this rot in Oz.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Fully understand, there is a limit to everything. If they were $400 / pair we would all be complaining about that. It's still sad though. Why can't we stop this rot in Oz.

XXXX XXXXXX?

We're not going there.  :fum:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:12:12 by Phil №❶ »

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
For decades now this place has been within a stone's throw of the Enoggera army barracks.

:link: About Us - Australia’s Camping Quartermaster

Blokes I knew that worked at Enoggera said it was where they went to get gear that worked properly or to modify the stuff issued to them so it wouldn't break. Nothing new to report apparently about the equipment supplied by the ADF not being up to the job for whatever reason.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.

XXXX XXXXXX?

We're not going there.  :fum:

I saw it before you gave it the 4X treatment.  :mrgreen:
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Me 2 :D

Surprised it came from you! :eek:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
So be it. :exclaim:

I could do with a 4X right now.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Either would be better than the Foster's fed to us at Villers Bretonneaux for the ANZAC Day celebrations, but they meant well. :victory:

Ironic their initials are VB :D

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I've found that Foster's overseas is a bit more palatable, more like Crown Lager here.  However, I refuse to drink Australian beers when in a foreign country (unless it's free).  I'd much rather drink the local brew.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh it was definitely free. It would have been unthinkable to refuse their gesture. I can relate, Jamie, when in Rome... What's the point of travelling if not to drink in every bit of the experience? :victory:

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
A little off topic here.  My father asked me a few years ago whether or not I sought out Western restaurants when travelling overseas with work.  I told him that I didn't, and that I wanted to eat what the locals ate.  He then asked if I sought out restaurants that served Australian beer.  I told him that I drank the local beer in the country, as it went well with the local food.  BTW, Tsingtao beer goes very well with genuine Chinese food.

It's like the tourist that travels somewhere to see something different, then complain because it's not the same.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I understand the arguments for and against, and I agree with a lot of what Jamie said about it, but there is something that doesn't quite sit right with our military personnel wearing boots made by a foreign country.
They should have stuck with the Australian company IMO, especially when you factor in taxes paid, company & personal, and costs of unemployment etc etc.
But generally, I know we need to be more competitive in manufacturing OR be able to sell the benefits of higher quality = better value, etc.
Just my two cents worth.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You're touching on the notion of sovereign capability. Certain areas are identified as Fundamental Inputs to Capability (FIC), parts of Defence skills and industry we can't afford to outsource overseas. Sadly, clothing isn't on the list. :confused:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You're touching on the notion of sovereign capability. Certain areas are identified as Fundamental Inputs to Capability (FIC), parts of Defence skills and industry we can't afford to outsource overseas. Sadly, clothing isn't on the list. :confused:

I don't know....but I would prefer you fight with clothes on..........   :twisted:

I have had many pairs of Red Backs most performed well. On one pair the soul fell apart after a couple of years. Sure there are  probably better on the market but they did the job....

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Mines quick and sweet,I spent 60% of my time in safety boots,over the past several years I have used three different brands,Rossi being one of them and as it has been said value for money,comfort and long wearing,I certainly won't be buying Rossi Boots again,steelblue were mentioned,good boot,but not as comfortable and as long wearing as the zip sided and laced Blundstones(which from memory is a Kiwi company  :question: )
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
Mines quick and sweet,I spent 60% of my time in safety boots,over the past several years I have used three different brands,Rossi being one of them and as it has been said value for money,comfort and long wearing,I certainly won't be buying Rossi Boots again,steelblue were mentioned,good boot,but not as comfortable and as long wearing as the zip sided and laced Blundstones(which from memory is a Kiwi company  :question: )

Kiwi company!! Pfft!!  Blundstone's is a Tasmanian company!!

Kiwi company indeed!!

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Kiwi company!! Pfft!!  Blundstone's is a Tasmanian company!!

Kiwi company indeed!!
Wow. Even I know that.
Rick, you are in ssooooo much trouble when Dazz sees this.  :snigger:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The boots that I got to replace the Redbacks were cool, and had a zipper side and all. They lasted 6 months before the zipper went. The next set were even cooler as long as it was dry, were like walking on ice in the wet. Both from China.....

Where an Australian company tenders for a contract, they should get the right to match the potential winning bid. But that probably goes against all these 'free trade' agreements we have been running around signing.

• A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal