Fast and slow lanes for pedestrians

eye30 · 16 · 3410

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Pedestrians in part of the US are being told to get in lane - depending on if they're using mobile phones or not.

The signs have been stencilled on to a short stretch of pavement and offer walkers a choice.

"No cellphones," says lettering on one side. "Cellphones," says the other lane. "Walk at your own risk."

:link: Fast and slow lanes for pedestrians - BT
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Well, I've seen everything now :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: What? No bacon? :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
The problem with lanes like these is that they don't account for the lowest common denominator when planning.  Most pedestrians will do the right thing and walk in the correct lane, making the "traffic" flow well.  However, when I was cycling to work in Melbourne there was a section near Docklands in the city that had very wide paths.  It was divided into pedestrians only and cycle only areas.  The amount of people that would walk in the cycle only lane was amazing (I am talking about 20 people per 500m).  They would then get surprised when a cyclist would ring their bell as a warning to get out of the way.  I even had a pedestrian abuse me when I rang my bell, until another pedestrian pointed out that they were walking on a cycle path.

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
A couple of months ago I sent an email to the Melbourne City Council suggesting they try a few arrows on the footpath to encourage people to walk on the left rather than the chaos that currently exists on a busy day - at least as a trial. (particularly now that there are a lot more tourists)
They replied that walking on the left wasn't enforceable (I wasn't suggesting enforcement) and that the additional signage would be confusing so they wouldn't consider it.

Anyway, worth a try . . . .
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Walking down a busy footpath annoys the crap outta me. People manage to drive on the left (mostly) learn to friggin walk on the left. It should be hardwired into everyones brains. And then there's the people who decide to randomly stop without checking if anyone is behind them or bother getting out of the way.

Rant over...............
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a very brief rant. :eek:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Walking down a busy footpath annoys the crap outta me. People manage to drive on the left (mostly) learn to friggin walk on the left. It should be hardwired into everyones brains. And then there's the people who decide to randomly stop without checking if anyone is behind them or bother getting out of the way.

Rant over...............
When i was in school we had to walk along the corridor on the left.

Anyone walking on the right got detention.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Rant over...............

What about if I go to 'Merica?  My hardwired brain would be hardwired the wrong way.  Maybe I could have a Straya/Engalund floppy drive and a Resto Da World floppy drive?

But I am picking up what you are putting down.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

Rant over...............

What about if I go to 'Merica?  My hardwired brain would be hardwired the wrong way.  Maybe I could have a Straya/Engalund floppy drive and a Resto Da World floppy drive?

But I am picking up what you are putting down.
Stuff the Americans they're wrong :) Anyway the sidewalks of New York are filled with bags of garbage, people trying to sell drugs or rap CD's to me in my flano and Akubra and some crazy black lady yelling out "hey cowboy, yieow" at me 3 blocks after I'd past her.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Nothing I pass yells back at me. I flush before it has a chance, just in case. :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Many, many moons ago, back in the dreamtime, when I was a kid Fremantle City Council trialled  two-way lanes on their footpaths.
Basically there was a line painted down the middle and one side was this way and the other side was that way.
What they forgot to factor in was turning in front of oncoming pedestrians when entering shops, etc.
It was a failure.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
There is such a thing as over-regulation. Sure takes the fun out of living! :fum:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Can we get this in Woolworths?

Browsing, woman, and I'm a man I want to be in and out of here in 3 seconds flat. Unless there is a hot chick offering free food samples, in which case, even if I have life threatening food allergies I'm going to try it..... :whistler:
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Can we get this in Woolworths?

Browsing, woman, and I'm a man I want to be in and out of here in 3 seconds flat. Unless there is a hot chick offering free food samples, in which case, even if I have life threatening food allergies I'm going to try it..... :whistler:

Think we are twins.. :lol:  Except I drink less beer!  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal