i30 Owners Club

Best & Worst Fuel Consumption Poll

i30Dave · 370 · 88659

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thumper, You couldnt have had more than a few drops in the tank at that point :lol:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I wonder just how much the tank holds? i got 57 Lt in mine once and today got 47Lt in when gauge was showing 1/4 tank left..
furthest i've been on one tank and with stock pipe was 1,200K i felt then 1,300 would be within reach if you took care.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Guys,

Unfortunatley I failed in my quest to reach the magic 1000km mark, but only just. The trip meter currently sits on 946km.I have done about 40km since the DTE went from 50km to (---). By my reckoning, i could maybe push another 20k out of her but i dont want to run out of fuel on a busy intersection so i think i will concede defeat this time. :lol:
We head to Coffs Harbour later in the year. The road tends to be flatter and the temperature warmer, so will give the 1000km mark another crack than. We will be fully loaded again, maybe we could leave the kids behind. :|

Offline foxey

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Put 59.95lt back into the tank after that trip.

I didn't know you could get 59 ltrs in a 53ltr tank... whats the story ? I think I'm missing something here...

Offline i30manUK

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Quote from: "foxey"
I didn't know you could get 59 ltrs in a 53ltr tank... whats the story ? I think I'm missing something here...

...or maybe someone could check that diesel pump?  :o

Just a thought.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
All the fills I have done have been around the 54-57lt mark.  (If it went over 60lt, I would be the first to complain)

Don;t forget, 53lt is your tank size. (There is still the filler neck from the top to the tank that can be taken into account.)

Every vehicle I have owned I've found that I can put more into the tank than what it says it can hold, no matter what service station I'm at.

EymaTeapot I bet that if you had an intercooler cover fitted you would be able to crack that 1,000 limit now during our cold weather.  :P

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Thumper.

I dont doubt your claims about the temperature contributing to bettet fuel economy.
The good news, by summer us deisel owners will get even better fuel economy. :(

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Teapot

"The bad news, by summer we will be paying over $2.00 litre."

Maybe not - I saw one of my local servos selling diesel at 183.9 yesterday.
  • i30 cw SX CRDI manual, Surly LHT

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi BJ,

I filled up today at Caltex Gungahlin and paid $184.9 or $180.9 after shopper docket discount. That is the best price I have got in a while.
When driving to Merrimbula last week, I saw it advertised at $194.9 at Williamsdale, a small village just near the border. I think its actually on the NSW side. If they're paying that much so close to a major city, I shudder to think what you might pay in remote areas of say west NSW or the Northern Territory.

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
TP,

This was the Mobil station at Southlands - still 183.9 this morning. Point is he was 188.9 earlier in the week.

One can only hope...

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Still $1.97.9 at Murrumbateman service station as I drove past this afternoon.  :lol:

Offline bikejockey

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
The Mobil station was 182.9 this morning - I'm hoping it's the start of a trend but others are still 188.9.

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
How do you guys get such good fuel consumption!?? :)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Quote from: "chylld"
How do you guys get such good fuel consumption!?? :)

You are doing everything correctly.  8-)

It is just that the i30 CRDi hates cold weather. It uses more fuel when it drops below 10 degrees C. (I've proven this time and time again)

Ok, firstly, I have a free flowing exhaust that passes the legal sound levels when it was tested by the motor vehicle registry.

Secondly I fitted two temperature probes to the inlet system (One before the intercooler, and one after the intercooler) to measure pre and post intercooler temperatures. I have found that when ambient air temp drops below 10 degrees C, the intercooler is very efficient, thus the inlet charge air temp will drop, to the point that I have seen temps below ambient. (Outside air temp was -2, pre intercooler temp was 3 degrees C, post intercooler temp at 110km/h was -4 degrees C)

This was due to the windchill effect on the intercooler in cold humid conditions.

So I have fitted a cover that goes in front of the intercooler when ambient air temp drops below 10 degrees C.  (I take the cover off when temp goes above 10 degrees C)

I've found the engine warms up quicker on very cold mornings (-6 the other morning) is more responsive during very cold weather and uses less fuel.

Just remember it's not just low revs that help, it's also keeping the engine off boost when at low revs.

Winter blend diesel contains additives to stop it gelling up when cold, thus you'll use slightly more diesel when it's a winter blend compared to a summer blend.

How many kilometers has your vehicle traveled? I'm at 14,000km now and I'm 'just' noticing a slight freeing up of the engine.

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
almost at 7000km... the economy was quite bad at the start, only got about 700-750km per tank. happy to be up near 900, but if you guys are getting over 1000 easy... aargh!! :)

i think you make a good point about being off boost not just low revs... i tend to give it quite a good amount of throttle until i can just feel the boost come on and then i ease off. perhaps i should be even gentler heheh

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi chylld,

I seem to get fuel econ figures more like those you state. Our car does 90% city driving, and living in Canberra, the climate in winter is nothing to write home about. As Thumper has illustrated, fuel econ in the cooler conditions is not so great. We tend to get around 6 L/p100 around town. I think this is quite acceptable. On the highway  I have managed figures as low as 4.4L/p100 but usually I am fully loaded and pushing the speed limit so get more like 5-5.5 L/p100.

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Dont forget, mate that a lot of us use the 'fill to the brim' method of refueling...ie trickle fill until the inlet pipe is also nearly full - but can make you put 57 litres in a 53 litre tank lol

Doing this i get 200+km before the needle even moves off Full, with 1090km for my last tank at a fraction over 5lt/100km

Offline chylld

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
Dont forget, mate that a lot of us use the 'fill to the brim' method of refueling...ie trickle fill until the inlet pipe is also nearly full - but can make you put 57 litres in a 53 litre tank lol

Doing this i get 200+km before the needle even moves off Full, with 1090km for my last tank at a fraction over 5lt/100km

this sounds like a neat trick, although i would be a tad worried about the fuel expanding and having no room to go. that said i've never heard my diesel go 'pshhhh' when i unscrew the valve cap, whereas i heard it all the time with my previous petrol cars. (is that a petrol only thing maybe?)

btw are you also snowman on ocau? :)

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
although i would be a tad worried about the fuel expanding and having no room to go.
Yeah I think diesel isnt as bad in that dept, but after I refuel, I have a 23km drive home, so I will have used a litre or so by that stage anyway!

btw are you also snowman on ocau? :lol:

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
So far ... 5.5-6.0l/100km moslty highway 140km/h. Will monitor it in next few days ...
2400km and counting...

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "ozsnowman"

this sounds like a neat trick, although i would be a tad worried about the fuel expanding and having no room to go. that said i've never heard my diesel go 'pshhhh' when i unscrew the valve cap, whereas i heard it all the time with my previous petrol cars. (is that a petrol only thing maybe?)

btw are you also snowman on ocau? :)

I got same problem as you...got less than a quarter tank left and i'm on 700k's....looks doubtful that i'll even get close to 850
I don't even push the car hard, i try to change before 2500 RPM....also the only reason its even that high is cause i drove to sydney once..else i'd probably be looking at 600km for a tank

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
Update ...

6.2lL/100km

Mostly highway 130-140kmh+A/C and some city + A/C...

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
yggy we can't drive at speeds over around 120kph here thats why most of us get better economy. seem to get best at around 90KPH but i get about 4.9L /100K sitting on 100kph 110kph.
thats in rural area's.
driving in Sydney useing Caltex Vortex premium Diesel i have 650k on this tank and gauge is showing just above half way mark, but that does not mean i'm saying half a tank as i filled right up and gauge did not start to move till i had covered around 250k 300k. by next week i'll have 1,000 on the tank in sydney and will fill up see if the Vortex fuel has helped economy or not.

Offline yggy

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Zemun
I usually drive at 2800-3000rpm, which gets me to 130-140 km/h + A/C.

I tried to drive at 90km/h and fuel consumption is rapidly smaller.

I'm happy with this fuel consumption, I had Opel Corsa C 1.3 CDTi 68HP which used to spend 5.7-6.0L/100km at 120-130km/h and with A/C on...

BTW, i30 can easily maintain 150-160km/h for as long as you want  :shock:

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi CHB,

Enjoying the Canberra winter? The cold weather in itself makes it hard to get the betst fuel econ figures.
Like you, i generally dont get near 1000k to a tank. In the past i would get around 800-850klm but that is all Canberra driving and as you no doubt know, the traffic can move slow at times.
I have more recently been nudging the 1000k mark and put this down to filling the tank right up to the brim.
I fill the tank till the nozzle cuts off, than carefully keep filling till I can see the fuel. It tends to froth up and than retreats. It takes patients but I have found that I get an extra 8-9 litres from the time it cuts off the first time.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Eyma, i have noticed filling with the caltex Vortex diesel it does not throth as much and is faster to fill right to the top

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
I fill the tank till the nozzle cuts off, than carefully keep filling till I can see the fuel. It tends to froth up and than retreats. It takes patients but I have found that I get an extra 8-9 litres from the time it cuts off the first time.

I've found that I roughly get another 10 litres in after the first click, so that is what I am going to do for consintency from now on - precisely 10 litres and thats it, then I can have an accurate record of fuel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Snowman,

Pays to try and use the same pump too. Two reasons, some pumps click off earlier than others and also some garage driveways slope differently to others...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
Hi CHB,

Enjoying the Canberra winter? The cold weather in itself makes it hard to get the betst fuel econ figures.
Like you, i generally dont get near 1000k to a tank. In the past i would get around 800-850klm but that is all Canberra driving and as you no doubt know, the traffic can move slow at times.
I have more recently been nudging the 1000k mark and put this down to filling the tank right up to the brim.

hehe yeah, i'm pretty sure thats part of the problem...that damn weather! 7 degrees this sunday *brrRRr*

I'm definately glad that canberra traffic is not lik sydney traffic haha...
i'm hating how diesel hasn't dropped much in comparison to unleaded ...and by the time petrol stations give us the real cost of fuel(~135c ulp) then the fuel cost would be back up already

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal