i30 Owners Club

Engine flush recommended?

Offline dxer2_2000

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Numeralla NSW

• 2012 i30 hatch auto 1.6L diesel CRDi White
Hi Guys

Just wanted to know if engine flushes are a good idea for the 2012 i30 CRD diesels? Helps prolong the engine or unnecessary expense? 
Mine is due for the 45k service but I use a full synthetic Penrite oil.
I've had mine serviced every 7.5k intervals.
It does do regular 22km+ trips (44 ~ 50km round trip) everyday, so I assume long enough to get engine up to temp & burn off any deposits?. It does do some small trips around town (Cooma NSW) but I try to minimize these.

TIA for your advice
  • 2012 i30 Diesel hatch

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I may be wrong here, but my feeling is that engine flushes are not necessary, if you are using the correct oil and replacing at your present intervals. Modern oils are formulated to minimize the deposit of all the nasties that engines create. A good quality oil (I use Penrite too), should protect your engine adequately.

Years ago, when cars were fitted with carbys and auto chokes the deposition of deposits was inevitable. I am also very suspicious of the actual content of "cleaners" and their compatibility with seals etc. I would imagine there could be warranty issues if damage was caused by the "cleaner" product.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
 :whsaid:
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
I personally would only follow the manufacturers recommendations.  Remember me checking this idea out on my i30 petrol engine and feel sure the user manual stated that no flushing agents should be used.  Not worth risking the warranty IMO :scared:

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
What Phil Said
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Hi Guys

Just wanted to know if engine flushes are a good idea for the 2012 i30 CRD diesels? Helps prolong the engine or unnecessary expense? 
Mine is due for the 45k service but I use a full synthetic Penrite oil.
I've had mine serviced every 7.5k intervals.
It does do regular 22km+ trips (44 ~ 50km round trip) everyday, so I assume long enough to get engine up to temp & burn off any deposits?. It does do some small trips around town (Cooma NSW) but I try to minimize these.

TIA for your advice

Hyundai recommend that you DO NOT use any engine flushing compounds on their engines.  This can and does erode the seals and would invalidate the warranty.  I do not have the literature to hand but if you search I am sure you'll find it.
On my last Hy service the women was strenuously trying the sell me a flush and by some chance I had the article in my car, which I produced with a flourish.   She shut the ***k up there and then   :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Last time at the service I talked with service manager. That dealer represents several brands. He told that some brands recommend engine flush treatments and those are done in the normal servicess. For example Skoda is one of those brands. Those treatments will clean some of the crap inside the engine. He said that using those treatments are OK, when done with the service schedule ("often"). He said that they would not recommend those engine flushes if you had driven 100 000km before first flush. With larger milage there is a risk that the treatment will release a big lump of "dirt" which could damage the engine.

In my personal opinion those flush treatments etc. are not necessary if your car has been serviced properly. Engine oils clean the engine if changed frequently.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline SR

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I've never bothered with engine flushes, the dealer may recommend it for extra cash but it does little in the way of preventing engine wear. Modern engines are so good at librication and filtering out crap that it's pointless.
  • 2013 petrol SR 6 speed automatic

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal