i30 Owners Club

Factory reset stereo/radio/headunit? Firmware update? (FD-01 in 2012 i30 SX CW)

Offline notadealer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hi all

I'm having issues getting bluetooth pairing to work on my 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi with stock head-unit FD-01, and after much frustration I'm now wondering if a factory reset might be required. Now I want to pair a new phone to it and can't get the new phone to even see the head unit or vice versa.

Trouble is, the documentation doesn't bother with details like how to do a factory reset. Let alone how to obtain a firmware update - I know the head unit can be FW updated over USB, but the myhyundai website doesn't offer anything useful in its downloads section, just desktop wallpapers (um, yay), and searches aren't yielding anything useful.

Any idea how to do a factory reset that clears stored phone handset registration info, phonebook info, etc? Battery disconnect/reconnect doesn't seem to do the trick.  It lost battery power a while ago, and seems to have lost saved radio station state, etc, but still pairs to my old phone.

Also, any tips on obtaining firmware updates? Is this one of those "go to your dealer and pay $190 for 5 minutes work and a USB key" things?

What I'm trying for pairing:

I put the phone in discoverable mode then set it to scan. Then I put  the stereo in pairing mode by pressing and holding the green call button. It enters pairing mode, tells me to put the passcode 0000 into the other device, then after about 5 seconds exits pairing mode to the main radio display. The phone handset never displays anything - a PIN prompt, a listing for the device in the bluetooth scan, etc.

If I try to do it exactly like the manual says, by entering the bluetooth menu on the stereo, choose "device manager", then choose "register phone", it seems to do absolutely nothing. No "Pairing active" display like the manual says it should when I do it that way.

I've tried disabling all other Bluetooth devices nearby. The neighbours have a Bluetooth solar panel inverter (yes, really) so I've also driven down the street to where my phone can't see any other BT devices, then tried again. Same thing.

Tips?

I tried to call Hyundai Customer Care, but the guy on the phone sounded confused that I was calling at all, said he "didn't really do much with the i30" and didn't have a manual for it, let alone any internal service manuals or info. I'm guessing it's more of a high-end cars and Hyundai trucks/vans service.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:31:34 by notadealer »
  • 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
There's a limit of 6 phones in the BT memory; is it possible you may need to delete one (or more) to make space?

:link: Hyundai FD-01 Instruction Manual (Page 10 of 34)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome nota dealer.

What a great post! Sorry I can't help as we no longer have our MY11 CW ( which was just pre-Bluetooth anyway)

But, back to your post, great way of explaining your problem and your efforts so far...  :agoodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline notadealer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
If I enter "delete phone" in the bluetooth device manager menu, it says "Searching..." for about 5 seconds, then drops back to the device manager menu. Same for "select phone".

So if there's anything paired, it's not selectable from the head unit UI.
  • 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I don't recall reading any way of returning the unit to factory default, but it sure sounds like it needs doing  :undecided:

Wonder if there's a reset pinhole, somewhere around the radio chassis...

Offline notadealer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Reset pinhole? Not that I've found so far. There's one for forcing CD eject, but that's all it does.

I've seen mention of a "reset fuse" in a few places, but never any solid references, and mostly with reference to it losing settings while being operated normally. Unclear if said reset fuse just isolates it from the battery, or if it also clears any NVRAM used for storing pairing info etc.
  • 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hmmm... "reset fuse" seems to imply it will reset something. Worth extracting the head unit to locate it?

As you say, though, nvram is by definition not electrically clearable. Shame that the audio system doesn't attract the same 5 year warranty that the major components do.

Offline notadealer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Hmmm... "reset fuse" seems to imply it will reset something. Worth extracting the head unit to locate it?

As you say, though, nvram is by definition not electrically clearable. Shame that the audio system doesn't attract the same 5 year warranty that the major components do.

Well, a "reset fuse" could be a jumper that shorts two pins, driving a line that clears the NVRAM component(s) storage. That's pretty commonplace these days, e.g. on most system-on-chip embedded boards where the NVRAM is usually a smidge of flash in the SoC that's cleared by driving a pin. So while it might not be clearable just by removing power, there's no guarantee that's what this "reset fuse" actually is/does. If it exists.

I'm marginally more skilled with cars than a housecat is at computer programming (albeit much better at learning) so extracting the head unit isn't entirely appealing. I've done it on my old '02 Elantra to install a decent one with working CD drive and bluetooth/mic, but that's a regular DIN unit, not these newfangled funky integrated thingemies. (Get off my lawn!). I wasn't afraid of drilling through the dash on an '02 Elantra; rather more so on a '12 i30. Reluctant to risk it on an in-warranty vehicle so I'll throw myself on the mercy (ha!) of a service center first.

As for the 5 year warranty: well, all the major components that aren't at a very broad stretch consumable or prone to normal wear and tear. So, most of them. The distance limit on the brake disc warranty is hilarious IIRC.

Thanks for the comments. It's good to know I'm probably not missing the blindingly obvious.

I'm just too used to the computer world where it's normal to just download a firmware image, upload it or put it on a usb key / microSD / whatever and reboot the device to load the new firmware. Car dealers don't seem to even like to admit there's any such thing as firmware, or updates, even for the entertainment system (let alone the ECU etc).
  • 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If I enter "delete phone" in the bluetooth device manager menu, it says "Searching..." for about 5 seconds, then drops back to the device manager menu. Same for "select phone".

So if there's anything paired, it's not selectable from the head unit UI.

Interesting - I recently installed an FD-01 (brought from wreckers).  As you mentioned it had 'old' phones stored, but I was able to delete them per FD-01 user manual.

Reading your comments I am pretty sure you have it - but, for belts and braces, you can find links to copies of the FD-01 manual here.   Looks like it isn't getting to the 'Select Preset' message part of Step 5 of section 2.2.5 - bugger.

I did, in fact, disassemble (and took photos of) the FD-01 I brought before installation (I also powered it up 'on the bench').   The BT functionality looks to be by a separate module, also indicated (but not guaranteed) by their being a separate firmware version (labelled DFU) and update file as mentioned in the manual.   I suspect the DFU (BT module) stores the paired device info - while the phone numbers are stored by the CPU and passed to the DFU (by AT command over the serial control - pretty common for BT modules).   So the 'Searching...' message may actually be a 'waiting' message... as the CPU queries the DFU and waits for response(s).

Might be interesting to find out what the DFU version is on yours - instructions are referenced here and elsewhere (note the keys to press seem to be 1&6 as opposed to 1&3).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Would be nice if we could get the FD-01 firmware files, and have them put somewhere members (only) could access them or something.

Offline notadealer

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Western Australia
Thanks for that.

Looks like I'm on MCU 0.02m, CPU 008, DFU 0.04 . So old MCU firmware might well be an explanation especially if bugfixes have been made related to bluetooth functionality and compatibility.

I'll see if I can bring my own USB key for the firmware update and "forget" to delete the files. We'll see.

On a sidenote, if you press 1-5 it enters some kind of odd mode where the screen flashes. Dead pixel check maybe? Any key exits the mode.

If you press 1-4 it toggles the external temperature sensor on/off.

People mention codes based on 1-3 to get into the management ui, but 1-3, or 1-3 for 5 seconds then 1-1-1-1-3 or 1-1-1-1-6 doesn't seem to do anything. Ah well. (Why don't these people make it moderately sane to get into the management UI?)
  • 2012 i30 SX CW CRDi

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks for that.

Looks like I'm on MCU 0.02m, CPU 008, DFU 0.04 . So old MCU firmware might well be an explanation especially if bugfixes have been made related to bluetooth functionality and compatibility.

I'll see if I can bring my own USB key for the firmware update and "forget" to delete the files. We'll see.

On a sidenote, if you press 1-5 it enters some kind of odd mode where the screen flashes. Dead pixel check maybe? Any key exits the mode.

If you press 1-4 it toggles the external temperature sensor on/off.

People mention codes based on 1-3 to get into the management ui, but 1-3, or 1-3 for 5 seconds then 1-1-1-1-3 or 1-1-1-1-6 doesn't seem to do anything. Ah well. (Why don't these people make it moderately sane to get into the management UI?)

Regards to the codes - I am pretty sure the '1-1-1-1-n' sequence is for the PA710 (probably also PA760) head units which seem to be the global std. (with regional feature variants) units for FD body.   Where as the 'Aux' and '1-n' is for the Cartronics produced 'Hyundai FD-01'.   Key sequences for PA710 here - RDS might not be applicable for AU.  For FD-01 I think this covers some the sequence - not sure anywhere records the behaviors (or not) of all the 1-n sequences.

Regards to the firmware update - that might be cool.

Regards to if the firmware version is causing the issue... no idea - would be nice if we could know what the update(s) fix but oh well - suppose it couldn't hurt to try.   FYI the BT module itself is marked 'MBL0502' - google can find a datasheet for it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal