i30 Owners Club

i30 Navigation GPS unit resets itself automatically

jat · 11 · 6885

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
Hi Guys,

When ever I start my car Navigation GPS unit starts from zero (like after factory reset), but my audio and Bluetooth settings are preserved. Any Idea?

Car in question is i30 Elite  2013
  • 2013 i30 GD Elite Petrol Blue & 2013 i30 GD 14 Elite Petrol Red

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Well my first thought is take into Service as a warranty issue - I think the warranty is only for 36 months on "Audio Head Unit" (which I assume the SatNav falls under) so probably is still covered under that (depending on when the 2013 was first registered) but better to do sooner than later.  Even if it isn't under warranty period/conditions I would be putting it to them that it isn't anything you could have done and isn't a 'wear'/usage issue.

I have no direct experiance... so these are just guesses/thoughts.

As to any ideas on what to do:
* I have a funny feeling someone else had posted something similar recently but I don't exactly recall (think they kept getting the usage 'warning' message) - don't recall where they were and if it got solved.
* Sounds silly and I sought of doubt it - but have you checked the related fuses?   On the off chance that if the unit doesn't get backup power - it assumes it was unplugged at some-point and 'fails-safe' for warnings, etc., etc., purposes... even though it probably is storing everything in flash memory.
* Might need reprogramming/flashing by service centre (or replacement).

As to why it might be only effecting the navigation but not audio and bluetooth - again I don't have any direct experience with the navigation units but in previous AU OEM head units with bluetooth... there have been separate modules (with microprocessors) for radio reception and for bluetooth - I suspect both of the processors to do those functions now have flash memory (built in) for settings/data storage - so the main microprocessor(s) in headunit simply ask them what they have stored and display it when request (and tellsthe modules what to change when user alters something).  I suspect the same design has been used for the satnav units - for radio and bluetooth functions at least.

I know this was definitely the case for bluetooth settings for the FD-01 headunits (descrete module - looking like a very thick IC - was mounted on backside of front-panel PCB) - the one I got from a wreckers had a list of paired phones and/or contacts.  The GD-01, now at Mum's waiting for her to decide to have it installed at somepoint, had a separate bluetooth module PCB soldered to main PCB.  Don't recall how it was for the GD-02 but do recall that in it they had done away with the PCB mounted separate radio receiver module (big silver case mounted to PCB) and it was done simply with a micro and some components (so probably an SDR - Software Defined Radio).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
Went to dealer and they advised  it is hard ware fault  and ordered new unit. It is big worry now because since I bought i30's one for myself and another one for my wife, these cars went to dealer around 7 to 8 times just to fix GPS navigation (most of the times screen stuck on Agree button)

As both of my cars will be out of warranty soon, It will be $3000 GPS unit to replace. My firm believe is that these units have some known problems and the issue should be fixed by Hyundai once for all.

NOTE: Navigation unit in this car was replaced once two years ago, and dealer mentioned that most cars are on their second unit because of high rate of failure.

????

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Not a big fan of built in GPS. Most brands seem to have issues of some sort. My Holden one isn't too bad, but no sign of an Map update after 16 months  :fum:

Hyundai/Kia don't seem to have done their homework with this feature.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
First of all - both your i30s are 2013 models right?   Shouldn't they both have 5y/unlimited Ks warranties - meaning until at least, or very near to, 2018? Or do they fall under being used commercially instead of privately and/or were used as such prior to your purchase if 2nd hand?

If they are going to be out of warranty soon (either the headunits due to the clause; or the entire vehicles), after the replacement of the current unit, I would be contacting Hyundai Australia (or maybe the dealer might do so for you - some are good like that) to express your concerns regards to reliability... that one feature shouldn't need repeated service bookings to fix the same fault repeatedly, that the unit was replaced once before (approx. when the car was just a year old) and just recently - that you are concerned about the cost of fixing/replacing with the OEM part should it fail again (outside of warranty coverage) on a part that has been proven to be wholly and highly unreliable without constant service intervention because it can't be fixed by the user. Basically try to work on the idea of 'goodwill' to get them to keep covering it for a couple more years.

If you can get them to do it great.   However the amount of issues you seem to have had with it - personally, once they won't cover the nav unit under warranty, I would be either replacing it with a non-Navigation unit (e.g. a GD-01 or GD-02 if you can lay hands on one) or with a nice LCD aftermarket unit (there are a few topics on here about doing so, and also some problems had and fixed by suppliers) which may, or may not, have navigation inbuilt or can display things from your phone (if you want to use it to navigate for example).  Or get a separate navigation unit - as a number of members swear by (well some actually swear at them too) but they usually seem better, faster and more up to date than the inbuilt ones.

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
Cars have 5 years warranty but electronics only have 3 year warranty!

Yesterday contacted another dealer and they said it is not hardware fault, no need to replace unit and asked me to book a service appointment and they will reflash the  software in one hour.

Booked with them, once they fixed it I will be in the process of collecting documentation (service history regrading issues with the GPS units with my cars and then contacting Hyundai iCare to get the GPS units warranty extended to five years)

Fingers crossed!   

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Yesterday contacted another dealer and they said it is not hardware fault, no need to replace unit and asked me to book a service appointment and they will reflash the  software in one hour.

Booked with them, once they fixed it I will be in the process of collecting documentation (service history regrading issues with the GPS units with my cars and then contacting Hyundai iCare to get the GPS units warranty extended to five years)

Fingers crossed!

Sounds like a plan! :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Not a big fan of built in GPS. Most brands seem to have issues of some sort. My Holden one isn't too bad, but no sign of an Map update after 16 months  :fum:

Hyundai/Kia don't seem to have done their homework with this feature.  :cool:

I think it will be interesting to see if there are less problems and better support now that they have switched from Here! to TomTom for the built in units.  I do fear that those of us with the older Here! units will be left further and further behind as they will simply expect us to buy new cars.

It is a shame that Here! do not update globally as I have mentioned in the past that the newest UK firmware takes away the need to press the Agree button, it stays on screen for a set period of time (think about 20 secs) then goes to map display automatically.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Yes - sorry I took your "As both of my cars will be out of warranty soon," to mean overall, as opposed to just the 'electronics' (head-units actually e.g. radio/navigation - the rest of the electronics are covered... e.g. ECU, BCM, Dash, etc., etc.).  Which I found to be odd - hence my comment about it.

Anyway good luck - hopefully this reflash will sought it once and for all.

Offline jat

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Narre Warren South, VIC
Dealer re flashed the software and it works, I am unable to understand that why the first dealer din't do it, instead of ordering the new unit.

In future if these sort of faults occur while out of warranty, Hyundai should provide free of cost re flash or some other means to customer to re flash themselves (same as laptops to restore the OS from provided CD or restore partition). I assume Navigation system can be re flashed from USB flash drive!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Dealer re flashed the software and it works, I am unable to understand that why the first dealer din't do it, instead of ordering the new unit.

In future if these sort of faults occur while out of warranty, Hyundai should provide free of cost re flash or some other means to customer to re flash themselves (same as laptops to restore the OS from provided CD or restore partition). I assume Navigation system can be re flashed from USB flash drive!

Nice!   :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Yes I do believe the units are flashable from USB drive - while nothing is 100% explicit about them supplying such - you see reference in the occasional TSB that gets seen in public and other sources about using the Hyundai USB stick (it would seem it is supplied in some areas or was intended to be) to update firmware.  And I know, at the least, the maps for EU (maybe it was the full firmware - you had to have a version higher that 5.x something) you could self-service (e.g. download, put to stick and flash) after proving you had a unit - at least until HERE got brought late last year.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal