i30 Owners Club

Recommendation for Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror

cmm · 9 · 6131

Offline cmm

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South West
Hi, new to the forum and new to the i30 since Dec '15.

Has anyone replaced their internal rear view mirror with an electrochromatic one that auto-dims based on the amount of glare that it detects?

I do a lot of night time driving and this would be a great feature.

Spoke to local Hyundai dealer and they say it isn't an option for my model (2012 Blue Drive Style Nav 1.6 CRDI) so I suppose I'm looking at an aftermarket one.

There seem to be a lot of model specific ones out there, but any advice on ones that fit would be great!

CM
  • Hyundai i30 Style Nav Blue Drive 1.6 CRDI

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi cmm

Unfortunately I can't help, but anyway

:wttc:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
That's spooky cmm.

I used to have the photochromic RVM on my previous FD Premium but don't have it equipped on my latest GD Style Nav.

But I wanted it.

So, I called round all the main providers such as SG Petch, only to be told the exact same thing as you were told.

So I didn't bother chasing it further.

However, there should be aftermarket suppliers so I may do what I think you're considering, and chasing it up again.

Oh, and  :wttc:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is what I installed :link: SmartView RVM Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company it's the same mirror used by Hyundai here with vehicles that don't come standard with reverse camera, if you don't require the camera then you'd only have to power the mirror alone.

They also have a new premium version auto dimming revision mirror though it's much more costly but the dimming function is much better than mine :link: SmartView RVM-OEM-AD Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 19:14:11 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: You could just get your rear window tinted dark... Living in Oz I always get my cars tinted an an added bonus is it takes the headlight glare out of all mirrors to a certain extent. Being you are in the UK maybe just get the back window done though...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline cmm

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South West
Thanks folks for your welcome and replies so far. I'll check out those links Craig. And I've been considering having the rear windows tinted anyway (just because it's a black car and would look good) so that might also help.

The car has a rear view camera that shows up on the media screen so don't need anything fancy.

Just getting fed up of having an Audi SUVs laser headlights burning holes in my retinas!
  • Hyundai i30 Style Nav Blue Drive 1.6 CRDI

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
My volvo had autodim rear view mirror. I hated it, did not dim fast enough or powerful enough so I drove with it facing the back seat at night.

Its okay in town where there are streetlights, but once your out on the unlit roads its a nuicance.

Enough that one of my criteria on my new car was manual dimmer. See if you can find someone who has it and test it out before buying is my advice.

:welcumwagon:
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal