i30 Owners Club

Cop sued for ramming and kicking rider

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Question.....

Why can't I purchase a sportscar which is so cocooned I can't see out of via the recommended shoulder check method or without rearview mirrors which work?

It seems to be crazy that part of the practical driving test for cars which you can be failed on is failing to observe your complete surroundings including behind yourself, yet with a motorcycle licence you can buy and ride a deathtrap badged as Sportsbike which only allows you to see through 180 degrees to the front and sides and not give a toss about the carnage you are leaving behind you.

How can that possibly be deemed safe?
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I just checked with the head honcho of our local Hells Angel chapter and he tod me it's bollocks - they spend half their time looking over their shoulders when on a rumble and none of them have fell off their bikes while doing it yet.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just checked with the head honcho of our local Hells Angel chapter and he tod me it's bollocks - they spend half their time looking over their shoulders when on a rumble and none of them have fell off their bikes while doing it yet.

Good one Alan, that can count as one of your jokes of the day....
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Alan.. harleys are not sportsbikes.. actually they're more like a local farm implement that a motorcycle lol

Bumpkin, you can't see out of all sportscars either. I sat in the veloster and said this is awful, I can't see anything. Your bias is showing here dude..

How many people do head check? Seriously? Hardly anybody does it anyway, they're too busy texting on their phones in a 100kmh zone.. I do, but most people don't.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
But at least in a Veloster you have three rear view mirrors which can surely be adjusted to give greater than 180 degree vision.  At least you could in the one I sat in.

The point stands - if you can fail the driving test for failing to use your rear view mirrors enough times (suggesting that means you can surely see something in them) then why can you buy a bike adorned with mirrors which don't work?  It's laughable.

Edit - I also shoulder check (I don't need to head check, I know it is there by the very fact I can see it in my non vibrating rearview mirror), you also fail the UK driving test for failing to perform shoulder checks.

Edit 2 - ttc, you might want to stop texting at 100k's, it's illegal and can cause accidents. :P :wink:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 22:23:41 by bumpkin »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Alan.. harleys are not sportsbikes.. actually they're more like a local farm implement that a motorcycle lol

We are in a depression in the UK - and our poor Hells Angels are trading in their heavy, expensive and thirsty Harleys and moving onto proper bikes - made in Britain Triumphs  - which they and their bitches find more comfortable and quiet enough for them to be able shout obscenities to each other.

You read it here first......... :whistler:
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
@ttc   
I have my truck and motorbike licences too, so maybe I am too.  :twisted:
The police are allowed (and supposed) to break traffic rules (like speeding and crossing double lines) when pursuing offenders.
It would be a bit hard to pursue the law breakers if they couldn't!!!
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Here we go again

Yep...
Don't you just love the coppers excuse?  Muscle memory, I must remember that one if I ever get pulled over for speeding...lol. "Hey officer, I've been doing a lot of physio on my right ankle lately so it must have been "muscle memory" that made me floor the excelerator...."  :rofl:  :crazy1:

Warning! Video contains some colourful language...

:link: RAW DASH CAM VIDEO: Eden Prairie officer accidentally shoots fleeing motorcyclist - YouTube

A Minnesota rider pulled over for speeding has been accidentally shot in the arm by a Minnesota police officer who blamed stress for the incident.

The Eden Prairie cop blames the mistake on the “high stress” of the situation and “muscle memory” from training 20 days before the shooting.

21-year-old motorcyclist Matthew Hovland-Knase was convicted of fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle at speeds over 100mph (160km/h). He was sentenced to five days of community service and 15 days house arrest.

Meanwhile, Sgt. Lonnie Soppeland was placed on administrative leave during an investigation. No further disciplinary action was taken as a result and he has since returned to active duty.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Lester

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Batemans Bay, NSW
The Yanks do it their way.  I remember back in the early 80's when on Highway Patrol, Sydney South, took a California Highway Patrol bloke out for half a day in the 351 Falcon.  He was on holidays and ranq hq re a ride.

He was most disappointed when he found out we did not jam cars off the road doing the 'Pittman manouver and alight with cocked revolvers a la California.  He also could not believe we dod not have a 'Goddam Shotgun' in  our cars. :crazy1:

You have to understand half the drivers in the Land of the Free carry pistols , generally in their glove box, as is their right, to my distaste.  Dare I say it if in an i30, it could be in the cool glovebox.  :cool: No Uncle Lester that is a crap joke.

Hence the way US police carry out their duties.  I don't normally get involved in debates re police activities, I would rather forget most of my 35 years, but now and again I cannot help myself.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 06:14:58 by Lester »
  • FD i30 Trophy

Offline ttc

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Browns Plains, Brisbane

• 2016 GD i30 crdi
Then why are you anti bike doggie?

The Aprilia in the clip has bar end mirrors fitted. I find it funny when people who've never ridden a sportsbike bag the riders.  They don't know what you can see,  what you can do,  and sadly they'll never know how it feels.  But these people pass judgement like they know everything.  I don't have children,  but I'd like to tell them they're doing it wrong because I know better than they do because I've seen it done.
The cop in this video drove dangerously, and was way over the top with his handling of someone who committed a traffic offence. 
I've helped the local police put two different offenders in jail,  I don't have anything against them,  but that one I do.

• 2013 Active Crdi

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Then why are you anti bike doggie?

I'm not.
Never have been and never will be.
I love motorbikes.
I own one.
I have many friends who ride bikes.
I buy motorcycle magazines regularly.
I used to ride police bikes.
So I'm not sure where you got your incorrect idea that I am anti-bike, ttc.   :undecided:
I AM anti-bikie though.   ;)

• Tertius the i30

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I didn't bag the rider, I initially stated that both were guilty of indiscretions and that I found the way it was reported slack.

I see none of the pro bikers have jumped up and down and actually answered my genuine query about useless mirrors and the ability to do a shoulder check.  As a non-rider surely asking the question opened up the debate for it being answered and to educate me, I don't get it, I see the Moto GP and Superbike guys looking over the shoulders all the time at hugely elevated speeds to this, so why is it so difficult on a sportsbike?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
I didn't bag the rider, I initially stated that both were guilty of indiscretions and that I found the way it was reported slack.

I see none of the pro bikers have jumped up and down and actually answered my genuine query about useless mirrors and the ability to do a shoulder check.  As a non-rider surely asking the question opened up the debate for it being answered and to educate me, I don't get it, I see the Moto GP and Superbike guys looking over the shoulders all the time at hugely elevated speeds to this, so why is it so difficult on a sportsbike?

Brian,I rode bikes for years,still go for a blat every now and then,if someone offers me their ride,I had several bikes over my riding life,some had excellent mirrors and some were freakin useless, giving very poor rear view vision, I always used an over the shoulder look before changing lanes(lot easier in a half face than a full face)I was and still am a big believer of lights on when on the road on a bike,I've only ever had to lay a bike down deliberately twice, both times was when I forgot to turn on my lights,
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal