i30 Owners Club

stereo display going off when flashing headlight is used.

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Hi having been here a long time as the 2009 i30 has done 63k miles without trouble until this year. The stereo display will go off especially when I used the flashing head lights by pulling the indicator stalk? Any idea ? Problem.with the wiring loom?

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Think you're right about the wiring's.

Maybe the wiring from the stalk is routed together with the wiring from the steering wheel radio controls and can cause a shortage.. :question:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Think you're right about the wiring's.

Maybe the wiring from the stalk is routed together with the wiring from the steering wheel radio controls and can cause a shortage.. :question:

:plus1:

Quite possibly - wiring from the clock-spring (which allows the controls to be in the steering wheel), etc..   Though I sought of wonder how a short would have happened - the steering column and it's surround doesn't tend to move much during operation... maybe a mistake during manufacture (I don't think this issue has been reported before here at least).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Though can I ask @silveri30uk - you say "The stereo display will go off especially when I..."

Does that mean it goes off, or may/has done, at other times as well?

Also when you say 'display' - is it just the display? or does the sound from the stereo also cutout as well?

Asking because... while I haven't tried shorting the 'steering wheel stereo controls' to GND or 12V, etc. - I do wonder if that would cause the display to cut out (e.g. by short in steering column)?

Of course this doesn't mean there isn't a short elsewhere or some kind of connection issue causing low voltage to stereo when certain things are done.

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Thank you both for info. The stereo actually goes off when I flash the headlights as well as the display-clock etc . I tried to hit the stereo area but it doesn't go off, nor when I turn the steering from left to right. The most consistent way of knowing the stereo will go off is when I pull the stalk towards me for flashing headlights and it will cone back on once the stalk returns to normal position.

Also just found out sometimes it goes off when I use the wiper stalk, so may be linked to the whole unit. This happened to my Citroen C3 few years ago when the airbag light came on. The mechanic said the stalk unit comprises alot of electrical functions so when it fails, the whole unit needs to be replaced.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 18:03:47 by silveri30uk »

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's consistent with a power drain to the stereo when more juice is used elsewhere. I'd be checking your power regulation.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Gonz there before me  :D  So  :whsaid:

Radio going off (sound and display) is very similar/same behavior you see when starting the car - due to heavy short-term load (starter cranking engine) causing voltage drop i.e. loss of regulation. Usually driving lights and wiper motors won't do it (esp. when vehicle is running/battery fully charged) - but they are still a sizeable load, so that indicates something is wrong with power supply (weak capacity, etc.).

Probably would pay to have a battery place, service centre, etc. to check the battery and alternator.   While replacing an old battery (if it is) might be good anyway, if the alternator (or it's wiring) is at fault the problem will quickly return (or just remain) - I have been there done that (though that was intermittent so harder to find) on my old Excel.

Of course, can't totally discount a short of some kind in the steering like the Citroen - but you would probably be seeing other things too in that case (and likely blowing fuses) and odd both stalks would, and only, effect the radio.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:27:26 by ibrokeit »

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Thank you all! Guess what? Today I went to flash the headlights and use the wipers. No problem what so ever typical. Then tried again and radio switch off for a few seconds and came back on. What a pain.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thank you all! Guess what? Today I went to flash the headlights and use the wipers. No problem what so ever typical. Then tried again and radio switch off for a few seconds and came back on. What a pain.

Oh joy!   Though I will say that can happen in the case of 'power regulation' issues - when my battery was failing once or twice the car failed to start... two minutes later started up with little issue (something to do with battery recovery from discharge).  Obviously what you said was the reverse behavior - but possibly 'recovered' from start enough it didn't happen when  you first did it, but did the second... but who knows.

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
I haven't yet managed to fix the above problem but today during my drive, around 65-70mph, the alternator light came on! The car got back home and later I started the car again but the light was out! I check the tightness of the belts all seems ok? So I am guessing the alternator is on its way out? The battery is still the original one so its nearly 7 yrs old. The car booked in for next Monday, hopefully they will check the problem with the stereo too.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I haven't yet managed to fix the above problem but today during my drive, around 65-70mph, the alternator light came on! The car got back home and later I started the car again but the light was out! I check the tightness of the belts all seems ok? So I am guessing the alternator is on its way out? The battery is still the original one so its nearly 7 yrs old. The car booked in for next Monday, hopefully they will check the problem with the stereo too.

Well there is your problem! (most likely)

If it is the original battery (which I pretty sure will be a 'no-maintenance' battery) it almost certainly will need replacing - various advice is given on how long they last... such as 2-5, 3-5 & 4-6 years.  As you can see 4-5 years are common to all those ranges.  So the battery is almost certainly very nearly dead.

The battery being 7yo would dove-tail with previous responses in this thread - the alternator light coming on (but being off next time) is most probably due to the battery (most likely the voltage being too low - possibly due to temperature and/or the alternator trying to charge the battery...  but if the battery is on the way out it can have non-intuitive effects1)

1 Basically it comes down to batteries relying on chemical processes, and the chemical reactions change with use and eventually can have adverse effects.  Such as a single cell of a battery going bad can cause it to reverse polarity (thereby subtracting from the overall voltage of battery) and vacillate the (reversed) voltage level causing noise to be induced into the system.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
On the other hand you could have a bad alternator - but I suspect it won't be.  And, if it doesn't already, you battery is likely going to need replacing at some point probably not all that distant.

You just don't want to have the alternator replaced, then find it was only the battery.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My previous 2007 still has original battery
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
 :P OK, thanks so much. I guess is no harm to change the battery for now and the car is booked for next Monday, they can check the alternator. In the mean time with the new battery, I can check if the stereo is still going off with the flash light on, bravo. Will update.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
If you had the right instrument you could have already checked static and charging voltage for yourself. For a healthy battery you should see at least 12.6V and your alternator should be charging between roughly 13.8 and 14.2V. Any higher and you'll damage your battery (boil your acid out) and any lower won't charge your battery. :D

• Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear
Alternator and battery replaced, £303. Hope it will be fine now. Showing 12.5v before replacement. Thank you so much for al your help! :victory:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Alternator and battery replaced, £303. Hope it will be fine now. Showing 12.5v before replacement. Thank you so much for al your help! :victory:

Better safe than sorry...  :D  Hope it is the right cure.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

:Good_luck:

Just curious was the 12.5v with engine running or off?

Offline silveri30uk

• 2nd Gear

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
It was running, ranging between 12.3-12.5 but not steady.

Thanks - had a sneaking suspicion it would have been (but having done fault finding and analysis for most of my working life I usually check).

Yeah not a good reading for running, nor the level not being steady.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal