i30 Owners Club

Abs esp lights stuck on

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Hi guys until now my little i30 has been going well I've just changed the brake discs and noticed I think I broke a little cable which I believe might be my issue it's behind the drivers wheel. Now my abs and esp lights won't go away. I've tried Google for part that's needed but can't get any sense. Can anybody help me. Thank you
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Sounds like you broke the ABS sensor wire

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Had to replace the right front abs sensor on mine, it's an easy DIY fix...  :mrgreen:

:link: ABS sensor & washerpump not working anymore
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Diy you say I shall have a look at that. Cheers asterix il give that a read. Thanks shambles I can Google the part now without have gibbish on there
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Cheers guys I just found the part £27 sent first class job done thanks very much
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Hello again I've replaced the part but still lights stuck on. Is it because it now in the memory and needs to be wiped if so is there a way to get it done without being plugged in.

Another thing my steering feels heavy and has done since replacing discs is this stuff all connected I'm at a loss. Sat here scratching my head. Any help appreciated thank you
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
When I replaced the ABS sensor the light went out as soon as I drove off.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As for 'wiping' stored codes - giving the good ole disconnect battery for 30mins *may* do it - if it is because the code is being remembered.

As for steering feeling 'heavy' - not too sure... except to ask: How heavy is heavy?   I mean is it just taking a bit more, but not a lot more, effort? Or is so heavy that at low speeds you have to put huge effort in to turn it?

The reason I ask is that the steering and the ABS & ESP systems do interact with each other to various degrees.   You report the ABS and ESP (Electronic Stability) lights are stuck on... so, in theory, the steering (EPS - Electronic Power Steering) should be fine - because it's light isn't on and doesn't leave you feeling like you battling to steer a WWII tank or an old farm tractor.  If it does make you feel like that then the EPS (as well as the ESP) light should be on.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
The EPS actually stays energized for a few seconds after engine off. So that's a good way to tell if the EPS is being powered when driving. Try moving the wheel a little when parked. EPS remaining on after engine off has been the reported cause of flat batteries.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
As for 'wiping' stored codes - giving the good ole disconnect battery for 30mins *may* do it - if it is because the code is being remembered.

As for steering feeling 'heavy' - not too sure... except to ask: How heavy is heavy?   I mean is it just taking a bit more, but not a lot more, effort? Or is so heavy that at low speeds you have to put huge effort in to turn it?

The reason I ask is that the steering and the ABS & ESP systems do interact with each other to various degrees.   You report the ABS and ESP (Electronic Stability) lights are stuck on... so, in theory, the steering (EPS - Electronic Power Steering) should be fine - because it's light isn't on and doesn't leave you feeling like you battling to steer a WWII tank or an old farm tractor.  If it does make you feel like that then the EPS (as well as the ESP) light should be on.
I tried the battery disconnection no change

Steering not like a old ww2 tank but can feel the weight when turning at low speeds

• 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Interesting - sorry I am not sure what to advise.

It sounds like your electric/electronic/motor driven power steering is working - but you are feeling increased resistance.   The electronic power steering is supposed to change the amount of assistance it gives depending on speed, in order to provide an indication of how 'hard' it is to turn the wheel at that speed - i.e. it is supposed to assist less at very low speeds and more at high speeds (personally I don't find the difference to be all that noticeable in mine).    The question is: Is it harder because something has increased the amount of effort actually needed to turn the steering? Or because it needs a calibration or something similar?

Hopefully someone else will happen along and be able to provide assistance on this - unfortunately I just don't know.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
@meatball1987 is it the GD or FD version?

Just wondering if the flex-steer is stuffed (GD version)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
@meatball1987 is it the GD or FD version?

Just wondering if the flex-steer is stuffed (GD version)

Good point - though I thought the GD came in 90, 110 and 128; but not 115 - so I was assuming FD.

What year or plate is it meatball1987?

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Mine is an fd on a 60 plate. I'm going to see my friend who works in a garage hopefully give the memory a wipe see if that sorts anything on Saturday so will keep you updated on that. This steering is annoying me it has just seem to stop working after fitting the discs but why
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Have you checked the 80 amp fuse in the engine bay marked "MDPS"  Motor Driven Power Steering  :question:

Note, it says "hot" at ALL times. So there should be power present, even when everything is off apparently. Be careful not to short any connections.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Have you checked the 80 amp fuse in the engine bay marked "MDPS"  Motor Driven Power Steering  :question:

Note, it says "hot" at ALL times. So there should be power present, even when everything is off apparently. Be careful not to short any connections.
I shall get on the fuse first thing in morning. Il disconnect the battery just incase. Thank you all for your input very much appreciated
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Mine is an fd on a 60 plate. I'm going to see my friend who works in a garage hopefully give the memory a wipe see if that sorts anything on Saturday so will keep you updated on that. This steering is annoying me it has just seem to stop working after fitting the discs but why

While you are at it - recording the codes and posting here might be useful.  Could allow some insight in what was/is up - maybe.

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Il take a picture of the codes and post them up even if it doesn't fix it
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Ok so first off I'm sorry I couldn't get a picture my friends boss was about so he needed to get the job done quickly but when wiped it just came back. He believes I've managed to pick up a faulty cable so I'm taking that back and getting a replacement so shall let you know when that's on
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales
      Wales
Finally got the new cable. Lights all out power steering all back working fine. Thanks everyone for your help
  • 1.6 crdi 115bhp i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
The ABS sensor wire cable?

Offline meatball1987

• 2nd Gear

• wales Wales