i30 Owners Club

Radio not working

thered85 · 19 · 20095

Offline thered85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      W.A - SOR
Hi all for the past couple of months the radio fm and am in my 2010 i30 has not been working. Cd and usb input in centre console work fine. I flic to am or fm. Can change station but no sound at all. Wondering if it was the aerial? Head unit? Ive got the head unit off now and im not too techy but all wires look well connected. Was hoping for a separate aerial connection but do not see it.
Anyone had similar issues was it head unit or aerial itself? Hyundai offered to try and fix for 240 but did not guarantee.
  • 2010 i30 diesel

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

My radio did cut out a couple of times in the CW, but this was reset by turning it off and on.

Personally I would look around for a second hand unit, if it is the MY10 you might be lucky enough to pick up a MY11 unit with blue tooth, which would be a win.

If you are in Qld there is one on Gumtree, though it is stupidly priced, they usually go closer to $100.

checked ebay there are plenty of non blue tooth ones for $80. No blue tooth ones though.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline thered85

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      W.A - SOR
Thanks for the reply.

Had a look on both ebay found the non bluetooth ones. And gumtree. In WA and yes that price is very high.

Would it be as simple as unplug and plug in new/2nd hand unit even if it did not have bluetooth?
  • 2010 i30 diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Yes, used to exchange them quite often if a car came in and the security code had been lost.
Then, duh... :confused: I figured out how to read the codes.  So I don't do it no more :eek:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I've been looking up Life Hacks on adding Blue Tooth to the older radio. I think I'll be doing that when I get back to Firty.

:link: Hack Bluetooth into Your Old Car Stereo for Wireless Audio Streaming

:link: Add bluetooth to your car stereo
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I've been looking up Life Hacks on adding Blue Tooth to the older radio. I think I'll be doing that when I get back to Firty.

You will probably find a cheap blue tooth radio at the wreckers back in Oz. If they cant supply the security code with the radio then haggle hard.
Hyundai will provide it for $60 if they have the vin #. ...or...... :wink: PM me. :) cheers
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

You will probably find a cheap blue tooth radio at the wreckers back in Oz. If they cant supply the security code with the radio then haggle hard.
Hyundai will provide it for $60 if they have the vin #. ...or...... :wink: PM me. :) cheers

Or use the algorithm listed elsewhere :link: elsewhere on the forum - just need the serial number of the headunit... (there is a second one stuck to the inside of the lid if the outside one is damaged/gone).

However I totally agree with the haggle suggestion...   but paying Hyundai for the pin (which they need the VIN of the original car) isn't needed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 04:53:38 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
BTW there are currently two examples on ebay - not saying they are the most reasonably priced examples...

:link: HYUNDAI I30 RADIO/CD/ MP3/WMA/AUX/CD PLAYER, WITH BLUETOOTH TYPE, FD,09/07-04/12 | eBay

:link: 2007 - 2011 HYUNDAI I30 FD GREY 5 DOOR HATCH AUTO 2.0 Stero | eBay    (Just be careful with this one it seems to be a 'stero')
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hmm ... for the sake of adding BT, it seems all too hard. I'd be tempted to adapt an Android tablet in its place and gain all the connectivity, touchscreen and app range that comes with it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hmm ... for the sake of adding BT, it seems all too hard. I'd be tempted to adapt an Android tablet in its place and gain all the connectivity, touchscreen and app range that comes with it.

Something like a Quad Core Pendo pad from Australia post is only $129 I think (they are not a bad basic Android tablet...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, so now my juices are flowing (no lude remarks please). Looking at the Pendo tabs, I see there are 7" as well as 10.1". Do you think the fascia (adapted of course) can deal with a 10.1?

I have to assume I'll completely lose the head unit if replaced by a tablet so must have radio reception via the tablet as well. Hmm...must do more research...more Googling! :crazy2:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Oh, so now my juices are flowing (no lude remarks please). Looking at the Pendo tabs, I see there are 7" as well as 10.1". Do you think the fascia (adapted of course) can deal with a 10.1?

I have to assume I'll completely lose the head unit if replaced by a tablet so must have radio reception via the tablet as well. Hmm...must do more research...more Googling! :crazy2:

I reckon a 7" would be adequate for the FD... Can stream radio on a tablet...  :goodjob:

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My Android phone has built-in FM radio using headphones as antenna, so will a tablet have such a feature? The more I look, the more it looks like I should consider the tablet an add-on and perhaps replace the top pocket GPS with a tablet. :confused:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Oh, I'd forgotten about Jessie's post. The pics are all coming up blank. Are they still online and I'm just suffering bw limitations during this Indonesian thunderstorm?

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
They are there for me, So I guess it is the storm.

From memory the Tablet didn't like the heat of the car in the sun, so wouldn't start.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
That's a pretty important point, and I do recall now advising on an app driven computer fan solution. I guess I should learn from that already if I go down that road.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you park in the sun, and the car is bloody hot, how long will it take for the fan to get the tablet to a workable temp?

If anyone can get it to work you can Gonz.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you park in the sun, and the car is bloody hot, how long will it take for the fan to get the tablet to a workable temp?

If anyone can get it to work you can Gonz.
Incorporate a solar static car cooling system like my Brother's  Prius has...

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal