i30 Owners Club

Newby considering purchasing an i30??

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Hi,
I'm considering purchasing a i30 in the next few weeks and thought I would get on here and try and get the opinions of REAL people who drive them everyday compared to motoring journalists. I currently drive a 2007 Toyota Corolla which has about 80,000KM in 2 years. I was looking for something with a bit better fuel ecconomy as was considering the I30 1.6 CRDi manual. I will be doing about 200KM's a day, mainly freeway driving (about 150km's) the rest wil be stop/start traffic in Sydney. I live on the Central Coast of NSW. I'm happy with my current car but am itching for something different. I like the fact that Hyundai has the 5 year/ unlimited KM warranty.
So what are your likes & dislikes about your I30's and would you suggest buying one?

I'm going test driving this weekend to see if I like or not

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Jason, welcome to the club. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your test drive :)

As for likes and dislikes, our members have been very vocal on this subject; if you have a ganders in the "polls/surveys" section you'll find a "what don't you like about your i30" topic - you'll see there's not much we don't like in there ;)

Cheers, and thanks for joining :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hi Jason and welcome

I'll echo the Shambles here :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the Club Jason...

The the i30 Crdi is a brilliant car ... Does everything remarkably well for the price and has lots of character (unlike many cars on the road these days)

One of our equally happy members reckons the 1.6 diesel is the best engine in Australia and I must agree... the combination of performance & economy is hard to beat (and very addictive)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Hi Jason.  Your daily route sounds pretty similar to mine.  My hi-speed section is 110km/h single lane, fairly hilly and lots of trucks to overtake.  The cruise control is great, even with the manual - 5th gear holds speed up hill with the air-con blaring.  If you are after a good mix of economy and low-rev lazy pulling, its definitely the way to go.  I sit on 120km/h indicated and dont try to drive economically at all and I get about 5.9lt/100k  You get much better than this if you stay below 100km/h.  Stop-start traffic is OK too, sometimes, depending on the speed the cars do when they are moving, I just leave it in second gear.  You can however, get caught a bit if you dont have 1500rpm and you try to make a dash for a lane change or something, without the turbo up to speed the engine is fairly lifeless.  Just takes a bit to get used to but its definately a trade off for the high speed cruising and the economy.  Small price to pay I say.  Only thing I truly would change is the lack of integrated bluetooth, if it had that I would not have anything to whine about!

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome JASON6912

The simple answer is No dislikes.
Few have had teething problems, which you would expect, but overall I would say 99.99999999999999% satisfaction.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
Well I took one for a test drive and have bought one. A Vivid Blue SLX TD manual hatch. I hopefully find out on Monday how long it will take me to get. The salesman ended up being the one that sold me my current car (Toyota Corolla) and I used to work with him at my previous workplace, which made it a very easy purchasing experience so far.

I ended up test driving a Auto because the dealer had no Manuals in stock at the time. Must say I was very impressed. I can't believe how torquey they are and how quiet it is.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congratulations Jason..

If you weren't told it was a 1.6 you'd think it was 2.0 litres plus ( or a small 6cyl )  :mrgreen:

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
Are we getting the U2 engine and 6spd tranny for MY10 in Australia?

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... have bought one. A Vivid Blue SLX TD manual hatch. I hopefully find out on Monday how long it will take me to get. ...

Got a date yet Jason?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Nick Riffed

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Watford

• Oooh Errrr!!!
... have bought one. A Vivid Blue SLX TD manual hatch. I hopefully find out on Monday how long it will take me to get. ...

Got a date yet Jason?

Isn't that a bit personal????     Oh, you mean for the car....Ooops!!

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :lol:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
The dealer told me some time near the end of January. Which I guess isn't too bad. The car apparently was being loaded on to the boat on Tuesday and should arrive about the 18 of January in Oz then about a week or two after that I should get it.

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
I'm not sure if its the six speed, it doesnt say on the contract. I hope it is. I have heard of a few people getting it and not expecting it.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
hi Jason , thats great to hear, i think you will find it a great little car. the CRDi manuel will do the trip you comute on with ease, it pulls well up hills in 5th gear.
i just had a test drive of a new Ford Fiesta turbo diesel, it was beautiful too. i think the fiesta is slightly higher quality as its german built, the upholstery is better the carpet is better it has factory cruise control. but it ( the turbo diesel ) only comes with 15" steel wheels , but has Michelin tyres stock. this Fiesta is a perpose built car with one purpose in mind, thats to get the best economy. BUT as always there is a few drawbacks. its a smaller car but not much smaller, it is very tall geared, so makes it feel less responcive, but the car is very light, they have used light weight everywhere. the motor can pull from lower revs than the i30CRDi, it has a green arrow in the instument cluster, the arrow faces upward and when best economy shift up point is hit it lights up ( very usefull ). the fiests rides better than the i30 and it steers better, and handles better, the gear shift is a lot better than the i30. but the i30 would kill it in performance, but only because its on a higher leavel of tune, the Fiesta motor pulls unfused from low revs were as sometimes the i30 will hunt for fuel as a few have described it. the fiesta has a trip fuel useage of 3.2L/100k extra urban useage is 4.5L/100K combined is 3.7L/100k.
i asked the salesman for service parts prices and service costs, pluss what oil it requires as it has a DPF he will find all the info out and send it to me. i explained to him i want a new car soon before i put too many k's up. i'll wait and do my sums on both see what i come up with. service part prices on the CRDi are high.
so if ford have more compeditive pricing i'll think about it. but the i30 is a great fun car to drive.also if hyundai don't have cruise as standard in the CRDi it won't be good.

cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John,

I did some research on the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic. Very basic for $24990 drive away! Only 14" steel wheels (175/65 R14) so if you wanted to keep the special tyres you would have a very limited choice in 14" alloys.

Only 66kw and 200nm and only 40litre fuel tank so range would be no better (if as good as the i30 CRDi)
No spare of any type only a temporary mobility kit.. Drum Brakes on the rear...Power windows front only... Boot capacity even without a spare is about 35 litres smaller than the i30 ..

Found inteior to be a bit cheap looking too...

Overall I like the styling but it looks a lot better with the fogs and alloys (which the ECOnetic doesn't get)

I think the i30 wins in a lot of ways including value for money...

I was worried I might have been tempted but not at all.. even by the snazzy colours...

EDIT: And another thing only 36mths  warranty!

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi John,

I did some research on the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic. Very basic for $24990 drive away! Only 14" steel wheels (175/65 R14) so if you wanted to keep the special tyres you would have a very limited choice in 14" alloys.

Only 66kw and 200nm and only 40litre fuel tank so range would be no better (if as good as the i30 CRDi)
No spare of any type only a temporary mobility kit.. Drum Brakes on the rear...Power windows front only... Boot capacity even without a spare is about 35 litres smaller than the i30 ..

Found inteior to be a bit cheap looking too...

Overall I like the styling but it looks a lot better with the fogs and alloys (which the ECOnetic doesn't get)

I think the i30 wins in a lot of ways including value for money...

I was worried I might have been tempted but not at all.. even by the snazzy colours...

EDIT: And another thing only 36mths  warranty!

Hi Dazz, you are right in some aspects, but nothing wrong with drum brake rear, drum brakes have a lower drag than disc, i can't see how they are cheaper to make eather, they have a better handbrake. the lower output means little as the Fiesta is much lighter plus it would have a lower Turbo boost pressure. they pull from a lower rev than the i30 CRDi i noticed that, they have 3 to 1 diff ratio were the i30 uses a close to 4to 1 at 3.90 so for every 3 turns of motor drive wheel will once thats in 4th then fith is overdrive. i thought the upholstery was better quality and the paturn more pleasing, the rear seat was stronger than the i30 i felt that when i folded it down the i30 rear seat is not that good but i don't use it, the front seats are great. i think wind up windows are less weight as no motor or wiring. they went all out to get best economy plus lowest imisson more for euro were no tax or lower tax.
all in all if the i30 could ride the same as the fiesta and if the gear box had the same feel we would have a close to perfect car. hey Razzy used 15" wheels on his rally car. i think they used 14" to cut weight as less wheel weight less force needed to drive all cars might have a factory fuel tank capacity but i always seem to get more in that advertised. if you had 52L in your i30 and i got a Fiesta with 42L i bet i could go further on a tank. also german build is a plus. the paint finish was better, they have a better trip PC that tells fuel useage as happens as well as average, easy to read, would be good to have that Cruise control in the i30 too and the easy to read speedo. but not knocking the i30 just both have good features. if you want looks the Fiesta two door sport looked the goods i might drive one they have an advertised fuel useage of 6.1 per 100k combined i liked the interior colour combinations you could have too, i saw a guy test drive one and buy it while i was at dealer, was a shinny black with chrome 1.6 petrol. but i have another 40,000k to go on the i30 before i'll get a new car.
i like your new name LOL

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As for my new name I think i30 dave changed it to The Beer Guzzler So I changed it to The Flasher (He or someone changed it to The Devonport Flasher..) now I'm A Very Naughty Boy... :razz:

Honestly, I can see where you are coming from with the Fiesta but a 2010 SX Crdi is about $2000 cheaper drive away and if you press the compare button on the Hyundai site and add in the ECOnetic it wins in a fair few areas...(Not being biased or anything...) :wink:

ouri30
As for my new name I think i30 dave changed it to The Beer Guzzler So I changed it to The Flasher (He or someone changed it to The Devonport Flasher..) now I'm A Very Naughty Boy... :razz:

Honestly, I can see where you are coming from with the Fiesta but a 2010 SX Crdi is about $2000 cheaper drive away and if you press the compare button on the Hyundai site and add in the ECOnetic it wins in a fair few areas...(Not being biased or anything...) :wink:

Let me add my 2 Bob's worth:

I played golf a couple of weeks ago with a guy who has an i30 and is very happy with it.  His brother-in-law was really excited about buying a Fiesta.  He had one on order.  Apparently there was a clause in the contract which allowed him to cancel the order subject to a test drive.  He drove one when it became available at the dealers and was very disappointed with the way it drove, particularly the power, or lack of it.  He then test frove an i30 and ordered one immediately.

One Bob.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for that great story Bob..  :mrgreen:

You would make my late uncle Bob proud .. :wink:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I hope I'm quoting the right person, it's getting a little confusing.

...The rear seat was stronger than the i30 i felt that when i folded it down the i30 rear seat is not that good but i don't use it, the front seats are great. i think wind up windows are less weight as no motor or wiring. they went all out to get best economy plus lowest imisson more for euro were no tax or lower tax.

The fiesta feels quite a lot smaller than the i30, in the UK it's about the same size as the i20, assuming we are talking about the same car. The immediate switch off for me on the Fiesta was that the rear seats were fixed and would not fold up to allow a flat load space. Maybe this is why they feel stronger.

The fiesta econetic has to run skinny-ish michellin energy tyres to get to it's 99g/km co2 rating, and this saves just £35 PA in tax over the i30 in the UK.

I believe it  would have cost slightly more than the i30 too, with only a 3 year warranty, but I no longer have the prices.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Let me add my 2 Bob's worth:

I played golf a couple of weeks ago with a guy who has an i30 and is very happy with it.  His brother-in-law was really excited about buying a Fiesta.  He had one on order.  Apparently there was a clause in the contract which allowed him to cancel the order subject to a test drive.  He drove one when it became available at the dealers and was very disappointed with the way it drove, particularly the power, or lack of it.  He then test frove an i30 and ordered one immediately.

One Bob.

Bob i don't doubt it, But, what did the guy want? did he want a performance car or a frugial car?
we see people here complain they don't get economy, but you get it driving slow you don't use the power there is, i'm the same. a person like you driving a car like that would get 3L/100k no doubt, that would be amazing. but the average person does not understand its not less power its taller gearing, you try driving your i30 in third gear to start off and see what i mean. i checked the rev's it was doing, and it was pulling from a lower rev than my i30. but i get into my V8 and the i30 feels a bit slow off the line. but after a trip of 1,200 k without a fill up i love it.
the Fiesta will be hard to sell no doubt about it but it is a true economy car, but a smaller class than the i30 the i30 is in the Focus class.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I hope I'm quoting the right person, it's getting a little confusing.

...The rear seat was stronger than the i30 i felt that when i folded it down the i30 rear seat is not that good but i don't use it, the front seats are great. i think wind up windows are less weight as no motor or wiring. they went all out to get best economy plus lowest imisson more for euro were no tax or lower tax.

The fiesta feels quite a lot smaller than the i30, in the UK it's about the same size as the i20, assuming we are talking about the same car. The immediate switch off for me on the Fiesta was that the rear seats were fixed and would not fold up to allow a flat load space. Maybe this is why they feel stronger.

The fiesta econetic has to run skinny-ish michellin energy tyres to get to it's 99g/km co2 rating, and this saves just £35 PA in tax over the i30 in the UK.

I believe it  would have cost slightly more than the i30 too, with only a 3 year warranty, but I no longer have the prices.

Lorian, that's interesting, i am like you, in that i was not doing a direct comparition, as i felt the fiesta is in a smaller car class, the focus is more of i30 size, i drove a new diesel focus at the time i was looking at the i30, the focus was good had a nicer ride, thats one thing i have never felt was perfect in the i30 the ride quality, the fiesta has a better ride quality, but as i only drove at low speeds in sydney and up some very big hills with a saleasman that must have weighed 125KG next to me the fiesta handled his weigh with ease, i had to shift gears more, but, one thing i noticed about the Fiesta was the clutch operation was a lot better than the focus, with the Focus i stalled it twice thats what put me off the car it stalled very easy, with the Fiesta i asked salesman what would happen if i just let cluch out with no throtle, he said it will stall, i told him about the i30 and how the ECU speeds motor up to stop it stalling, he said well try it, i let clutch out and the fiesta just ticked over and went forward smoothly without speeding motor up, it has less power and torque but is less fussed at low revs. i think reason it has less power and torque is a lower turbo boost pressure, that higher pressure might cost us money down the road.

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
The dealer called me today. My car arrived there today, the downside is that I cant pick it up for just over a week. I could of picked it up this weekend but I rang and added a few more things to it  a few days ago that will mean that they will need it for a few more days to get them finished. Then my boss won't let me have a early day to pick it up so I have to wait for the next weekend.

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Then my boss won't let me have a early day to pick it up so I have to wait for the next weekend.

Just chuck a "sick day" lol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal