i30 Owners Club

1.6CRDi Six Speed

Lorian · 35 · 7532

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
When I drove a 5 speed box I never thought to see how many RPM it was pulling at 70mph/113kph, but I guess some may be interested in the figures for the 6 speed 1.6 CRDI Hatchback. At this speed in:

5th Gear - 2600RPM
6th Gear - 2200RPM

Give or take 50RPM.

I have a question or two.. At how much rpm is 6-speed running at 140 kph. My 5-speed is running at exactly 3,000 rpm. See this link

The second question is 5-speed i30 related.. Regarding the fact, that my i30 CRDi is originally 90-ps version one and is remapped (tuned) to 115 hp and approx 275Nm, I was just wondering, if "stock" 115-version is running at the same rpm, lower or even higher than mine at the same speed (let's say 140kph)?
I'm asking that, because you've written that the 5-speed you've driven is running on approx 2,600 rpm when going around 113 kph, while mine is going above 120 kph at those rpm... On this picture you can see me going almost around 115-118 kph, when driving slightly below or almost exactly 2,500 rpm..

I know you've written give or take 50 rpm, so it's probably about the same, but just out of the curiosity..

Thanks for the replies

This was the RPM for 5th gear in my 6 speed box. I'd expect 5th to be slightly higher in the 5 speed box, as per postt #2.

I can't test at 140kph in the next few days as I have a roof rack and 3 bycles on the car for my next few hundered miles of runs. They will take off at this speed.

Pip
Any posts here by me WRT 6 speed ratios is incorrect.

Sorry about that!

Offline iThurT

• 2nd Gear

• CRDi 1.6 Comfort in Shine Red. UK.
"I have a question or two.. At how much rpm is 6-speed running at 140 kph. My 5-speed is running at exactly 3,000 rpm."

Just divide 2200(rpm) by 113(kmph) and then multiply by 140(kmph). Answer is 2726 rpm.

Pip
I have a question or two.. At how much rpm is 6-speed running at 140 kph. My 5-speed is running at exactly 3,000 rpm. See this link

One thing to bear in mind is the built-in inaccuracy of the speedo when attempting to make these comparisons. I'd figure the speedo reads optimistically by 5% or so.

The only real way to compare is to express everything in terms of km/1000rpm (or some other base) by determining the (effective) circumference of the tyre and how many turns it makes from the known gear ratios in each gear. There was a time when mph/1000rpm was a standard specification for top gear for the very reason it's being asked here.

Of course another way is just use a GPS. Speedo and tacho is a very dodgy method.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
My readings were taken while using GPS for speed and Scangauge for RPM.

My speedo is pretty accurate, only about 1mph below the GPS calulated speed at 70 mph. My old car was 3mph out.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal