i30 Owners Club

Seat Belts

mog · 11 · 2768

Offline mog

• 1st Gear
Hi, new to forum. 

Has anyone had a problem with back seatbelts damaging the inside door frame?  My daughter (11) shut the door and must have caught the seat belt, as it did not retract.  She is very small and not much power behind her but the resulting dent and paintwork damage is astonishing.  I treat this car with much love and inspect it regularly for damage (by other drivers and their door throwing antics) but I never expected a seat belt to ruin the car!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Mog... very sorry to hear that .. maybe a bigger person did the same thing previously and you didn't realise until your Daughter did it too.. (hasn't been a common occurence - not for me or any of our members as far as I am aware...)

Welcome to the club - hope it's easier to fix than it sounds...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I always say... what you don't see can't hurt you. If it's just the frame, surely it's "out of sight out of mind" ?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Does sound like they've been economising on the strength aspect though, maybe to give you a lighter and more economical ride
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mog

• 1st Gear
Thanks for reply.  No it was definitely her as no adult graces the back seat!  I drive, she leaps in and out.  She did not slam door shut on it.  She pushed door shut, caught belt and then sorted problem out.  

Shambles - yes to most it is out of sight out of mind, but it is the pure frustration that I seem to have bought a tin can!!  What would the dealership say, do you think?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Seatbelt not retracting properly IMHO. This is a thread from Hipposniper who had the same problem:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3995.0.html

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Any chance we could see a pic?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mog

• 1st Gear
Thanks Lorian.  Lovely pics, just the same as mine.  Shambles, would love to post a pic, but no idea how!  Tips received gratefully. 

It is so frustrating to spend so much of your own money and then find damage that should not happen like that, my old scrappage car managed to reverse itself into a cast iron drainpipe and the damage wasn't much worse!!

Love the forum

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Might be worth sending hipposniper a message an see how he got on discussing with the dealer, if he did.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Thanks Lorian.  Lovely pics, just the same as mine.  Shambles, would love to post a pic, but no idea how!  Tips received gratefully. 

It is so frustrating to spend so much of your own money and then find damage that should not happen like that, my old scrappage car managed to reverse itself into a cast iron drainpipe and the damage wasn't much worse!!

Love the forum

Sorry to hear about the seatbelt thing mog, I have noticed that the back belts in particular like to twist just enough to not retract properly sometimes.  I suspect also that in any other manufacturers car the closing of metal to metal with a foreign piece of metal designed to save your life in the way, would cause the same problem, look at the positive side, the panel fit is excellent in your i30 :)

To post pics check here
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,3803.0.html
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi mog and welcome.
Several times my kids slamed the door and caught the seatbelt but luckily, no scratches on the paint occured. If it happened to you just by pushing the door shut, then i think you should contact your dealer.
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Get the dealer to check them out as if the spring is "worn" then it would be an MOT failure.

Mine retract OK.

Also, the retractor to "lock" the belt may not work if you are in bump.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal