i30 Owners Club

Getz difficulty starting after not used for a few days

Paolo5 · 9 · 4354

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi guys...
I hope that you can shed some light on this issue:-

My Getz has been a fabulous car...still is.

Occasionally it doesn't get used for a few days running but it has always started first try...until last week.

The engine kicked but didn't catch on the first and second attempt. On the 3rd try it caught. It ran as normal and I drove it for 200km without issue.

I didn't use the car for 5 days and exactly the same issue occurred when I tried to start the engine.

I haven't changed the fuel filter...or anything else that co-incided with this new behaviour. The car has 165K on the odo and is driven sensibly and serviced on time always.

Any ideas what may be causing this ?

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
my missus 2007 1.6 Getz has 110K on clock and needed new fuel pump & partially blocked filter last year (located under rear seat on top of fuel tank) due to poor starting. I believe most techs can measure the fuel pressure at spray bar.
Immobilizer ignition barrel connectors as high resistance can also be troublesome with age. I took Getz connector out and soldered the wires together, and heat shrunk. I cant remember if its the immobilizer light stays on or off is bad.

Good luck
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Cheers Scott, soulds like Paolo will get a good head start from that info. I loved our 2006 Getz!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
my missus 2007 1.6 Getz has 110K on clock and needed new fuel pump & partially blocked filter last year (located under rear seat on top of fuel tank) due to poor starting. I believe most techs can measure the fuel pressure at spray bar.
Immobilizer ignition barrel connectors as high resistance can also be troublesome with age. I took Getz connector out and soldered the wires together, and heat shrunk. I cant remember if its the immobilizer light stays on or off is bad.

Good luck

Thanks Crusty! I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump 45,000km ago (3.5 years ago) so might be worth another look.

The car started without incident this morning. Last used two days ago though. Last week it was after four days of not being used that there was an issue.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How is the battery?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
How is the battery?

Hi BM,
The battery is around 12 months old. I haven't tested it but it has plenty of kick.

It feels like a fuel-related problem to me.

I have the car with my mechanic today for an a/c re-gas. I mentioned the starting issue to him and am hoping that he can have a squizz. His first thought was the fuel pump regulator...and I know that it wasn't changed when I changed the filter and fuel pump.

Time will tell. I don't like having things that don't perform the way that they should.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Good luck

Thanks Crusty! I changed the fuel filter and fuel pump 45,000km ago (3.5 years ago) so might be worth another look.

The car started without incident this morning. Last used two days ago though. Last week it was after four days of not being used that there was an issue.

Easy fix !
Start every 3rd day    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Easy fix !
Start every 3rd day
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Mick....now why didn't I think of that...

My mechanic suggested that it would be good before actually trying to start the engine (after it has been standing for say, 4 days) to turn the key whilst listening to the fuel pump priming...then turn off...and repeat 10 or so times before actually trying to start the engine. He said that if it still doesn't start straight away that at least I can rule out the fuel pump regulator.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Easy fix !
Start every 3rd day
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Mick....now why didn't I think of that...

My mechanic suggested that it would be good before actually trying to start the engine (after it has been standing for say, 4 days) to turn the key whilst listening to the fuel pump priming...then turn off...and repeat 10 or so times before actually trying to start the engine. He said that if it still doesn't start straight away that at least I can rule out the fuel pump regulator.
@Paolo5
Couldn't let that go by - glad you have a good sense of humor too  :winker:
Well you've got to start somewhere  (no pun  :lol: ) and that's as good anywhere.
Main 4 things for an engine -  fuel, air, compression,  spark. Keep us posted  :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal