i30 Owners Club

My 2 month review - likes and dislikes

Offline rockabette

• 2nd Gear
So I have had my new i30 diesel auto "Danzig" since 10 March 2010 now and thought I would go through my likes and dislikes.

2. Aircon
3. tinted windows
4. smooth driving
5. fuel economy (getting around 700-800kms a tank for $50 AUD)
6. comfy seats
7. nice interior
8. roomy

dislikes
1. rear window too low
(compared to my 2002 elantra the rear window is very low and restricts the vision of cars travelling behind me. Now when a car is behind me, all i can see is the bonnet. With the Elantra I could see the whole vehicle. Frustrating especially when driving in a town where half the vehicles are 4WDs).
2. I wish the aircon controls were on the steering wheel
3. Cant change folders on USB on steering wheel
4. the black seals are totally wrong on the black car, 2 different blacks and the seals look like they are 10 years older than the car
5. there is movement on the floor on my drivers side that I have to get checked out. Its just in front of the seat and feels like the plates aren't right
6. the i30 dashmat is very cheap and nasty (dealership gave me one)
7. I seem to get into way too many near misses with other vehicles now that I have a new car!!!

That is all for now... my man dislikes are 1,4 and 5

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Rockabette

Number one could be fixed for about A$200 (Wireless rearview camera - I will get one of those on my next car if it doesn't come standard..)
-It is quite a common fault with latest models from a lot of brands (some are worse than the i30)

Number four is your fault  :P I would have discouraged you getting a black car  :wink:

Number five should be fixed under warranty (that is a strange one - first member to mention it)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline rockabette

• 2nd Gear
I know number 4 is my fault. My order was placed on Xmas Eve and I really wanted to change it to the hyper silver but my hubby said "its too late now" and "its still a good colour" and all the while im thinking the NT has a hell of alot of red dirt and dust.

I did have one other problem when i picked up my car. I parked downhill put on the handbrake and as I was getting out the car rolled forward about 20cm. They 99% fixed it on the 1000km service.

All in all.... a beaut car.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
5. there is movement on the floor on my drivers side that I have to get checked out. Its just in front of the seat and feels like the plates aren't right

I'd like to know more about this as what you seem to indicate is that the frame is moving so, therefore, the car may NOT SAFE. 

Hopefully it's just the carpet and under lay moving but I'd be back to the dealers pronto for a check.

ps I'm not trying to scare you but better be safe than sorry.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
hi rockabette :)
is your car male?

I did have one other problem when i picked up my car. I parked downhill put on the handbrake and as I was getting out the car rolled forward about 20cm. They 99% fixed it on the 1000km service.

All in all.... a beaut car.

i notice my car rolls a bit to, i'm not comfortable in my friends driveway at all, which is about a 40-45 degree angle. the car just feels as soon as you take out the handbrake that its just going to "GO" - it doesn't seem to bog in very well and moves a little after applying the handbrake. i had completely forgotton about mentioning this last service actually. bugger.
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I must admit my handbrake doesn't fill me with confidence either.
If I don't make sure to pull it up the last tight notch it wants to creep.
I think it's only in need of a bit of adjustment. I will get around to having a look at it sometime. Meanwhile, I'm very careful.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Handbrake should be more effective as rear discs wears along with brake pads (mine does feel a lot better now)

...I will get one of those on my next car...)

Hmmm... is this a hint or what?
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Handbrake should be more effective as rear discs wears along with brake pads (mine does feel a lot better now)

...I will get one of those on my next car...)

Hmmm... is this a hint or what?

its lust for an IX35  :mrgreen:

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Heh, I was actually thinking of starting a similar topic with my thoughts, but I'll share them here. Today marks only 3 weeks of ownership for me but having already done 2500km I'm sure my opinions are as valid as the next person's! Also it had done 90000km when I bought it, so it's fairly run in.

-Fairly comfortable ride for a small-medium car
-Diesel motor is awesome fun to punt around and super good on fuel (should get over 1200km from this tank - tho I did fill it to the brim)
-Back seats can fold flat!
-Very good looking car (see mine here: https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5666.0.html)
-For me, placement of mirrors/instruments/adjustability of driver's seat are all superb (I'm 6' 1" tall)
-Despite high kms, feels very tight and solidly built
-iPod control is simple but decent, as are the speakers
-Trip computer is actually useful
-Feels very safe and secure on the road, and handles quite well

Dislikes/nit-picking:
-Spare tyre is limited to 80km/h?
-Plain-Jane spare key ($200 for a second remote key!)
-Turning circle is fairly large (or it seems to be for me; I think I'm used to sub-10m turning circles from my previous cars)
-$75 for the iPod cable seemed a bit rich, and apparently it was on special!
-Instrument lighting (speedo etc) really should be on all the time, in my opinion, way too dark to look at on a sunny day. To clarify: I can read the instruments fine, but it would be much more comfortable for them to always be lit (and leaving my lights on constantly just for this is unnecessary, in my view)

Other observations:
-European-style manual reverse gearstick position was odd at first, tho I must say I got used to it quickly
-This anti-stall 'feature' where the car drives itself if the revs fall low enough - all my manual cars have done this - tho only in 1st or 2nd gears. Funnily enough, I have yet to stall my i30
-Haven't had any problems with the handbrake as some people have mentioned - tho for safety I've long been in the habit of leaving the car in gear when parking (as well as handbraked). Also it's long run in, as mentioned
-Initially had a problem with the front window washers not working - turned out to be the hinge on the bonnet clamping the hose from the water pump

That's all I've noticed, so far. Overall: love the car!
  • 2007 i30 SLX Diesel manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

HI CORKY ...AGREE WITH ALL YOUR LIKES .. SOME COMMENTS ON YOUR DISLIKES

Dislikes/nit-picking:

-Spare tyre is limited to 80km/h?  (DO YOU HAVE A SPACE SAVER  :eek: - MINE IS AN ALLOY SPARE SAME AS OTHER WHEELS AND TYRES)

-Plain-Jane spare key ($200 for a second remote key!) GET TWO REMOTE KEYS NOW (BUT A REPLACEMENT IS MORE LIKE A$400!!!)

-Turning circle is fairly large (or it seems to be for me; I think I'm used to sub-10m turning circles from my previous cars) YOU MUST HAVE HAD SMALL CARS TURNING CIRCLE FOR SX AND SLX IDS GOOD FOR CAR OF THIS SIZE - SR HAS LARGER TURNING CIRCLE

-$75 for the iPod cable seemed a bit rich, and apparently it was on special!  RRP IS A$110 I THINK

-Instrument lighting (speedo etc) really should be on all the time, in my opinion, way too dark to look at on a sunny day. To clarify: I can read the instruments fine, but it would be much more comfortable for them to always be lit (and leaving my lights on constantly just for this is unnecessary, in my view) MENTIONED IN SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT SECTION - I DRIVE WITH PARKS ON ALL THE TIME - LIGHTS GO OFF WHEN TAKE KEY OUT AND OPEN THE DOOR SO YOU CANT LEAVE THEM ON BY ACCIDENT

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Maybe the earlier i30s had space savers.
They all have full sized spared now and it's one of their selling points.
They all have 2 fully operational keys now, too (as Dazz has said).
Interesting re the visibility of the guauges in the daytime. It's come up before and I haven't been able to recall any insatnce where I had a visibility problem.
Yesterday for the first time whilst actually driving in the middle of a bright, sunny, cloudless day I took particular notice.
Absolutely no problem.
Mine is Oct 2009 build.
Is it possible they've changed something to fix it?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Trev,

I didn't think Aussie Model ever came with space saver  :eek: (mine is over 2 years old)

Maybe they have improved the dash? Does yours appear to have any illumination during the day when the lights are off? My wifes Tiida is much better that way (Illuminated as soon as igition is switched on day or night)

Do you wear sunnies when you drive? (I have fairly dark optical sunglasses) and unless the sun is shining on the dash (over your shoulder) the dials look very dark. They are fine if if I put the lights on park - it would be a very easy fix for Hyundai to implement  :cool:

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Hm, I was aware current models came with a full-size spare, so it was a bit of a shock to find a space saver in mine (particularly on the SLX model)! Mine is a Nov '07 build, first registered in Dec '07. I guess it's not going to get used that often (hopefully not at all), so I think I can live with it.

The gent I bought the car from mentioned that he wasn't given the option of getting a remote key as a spare until he was about to take delivery of the car, and was then told it'd be another $200 and a few weeks wait, so didn't bother (don't really blame him). Tho I'm pretty sure I can live with that too.

I'll shut up about the turning circle then :)

I do wear sunnies during the day usually, but they're not overly dark, nor are they polarised. In my Jazz the dials are black with white text but they permanently illuminate (looks very classy when you put the key in and they light up), I'm thinking Hyundai should do something similar here. (As an aside, I thought it was illegal to drive with parks on, similar to the law regarding fog lights?)

One more nitpick I remembered this morning is the quietness of the indicator ticker, but again it's not a big issue. As they say, people are more likely to talk about the bad stuff than the good, and there's so many good things about these cars it far outweighs the bad (or nitpicky things).

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hm, I was aware current models came with a full-size spare, so it was a bit of a shock to find a space saver in mine (particularly on the SLX model)! Mine is a Nov '07 build, first registered in Dec '07. I guess it's not going to get used that often (hopefully not at all), so I think I can live with it.

I changed a 6 month old Comfort model last month and the full size spare has gone. Only space saver now. No boot under carpet tray either. Lots of things gone from the previous car. The entry model Classic now gets steel wheels and a space saver. The Premium does get full size spare.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
No boot under carpet tray either

We know what you mean  :mrgreen:

Keep in mind this is 2010 UK spec. it varies from country to country.

At least you don't get a can of gunk and no spare at all.  :razz:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Guy I work with bought an Audi TT which comes with a can of gunk, I thought that was really mean, spending tens of thousands on a car and in order for it to have it's performance figures they take out the spare wheel :eek:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Trev,

I didn't think Aussie Model ever came with space saver  :eek: (mine is over 2 years old)

Maybe they have improved the dash? Does yours appear to have any illumination during the day when the lights are off? My wifes Tiida is much better that way (Illuminated as soon as igition is switched on day or night)

Do you wear sunnies when you drive? (I have fairly dark optical sunglasses) and unless the sun is shining on the dash (over your shoulder) the dials look very dark. They are fine if if I put the lights on park - it would be a very easy fix for Hyundai to implement  :cool:

Just checked again. Def. no illumination when you turn the ignition on. My dials are black background with white markings and red needles with a silver outline.
I wear sunnies all the time.
But............... I think I have the answer. :idea:
It's all our bright Queensland sunshine. :D
Which would work except I think Snowcherry has also complained about it and our cars are only a month or two apart. (but maybe it wasn't her).
It's overcast up here today and still no legibility problem.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

One more nitpick I remembered this morning is the quietness of the indicator ticker, but again it's not a big issue. As they say, people are more likely to talk about the bad stuff than the good, and there's so many good things about these cars it far outweighs the bad (or nitpicky things).

That's a bit funny I agree but when I mentioned it once I got howled down  :rolleyes: Maybe the later models get a noisier clicker :idea: I often have to look for the green arrow on the dash to check mine is on (but I am a bit deaf :-[)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

That's a bit funny I agree but when I mentioned it once I got howled down  :rolleyes: Maybe the later models get a noisier clicker :idea: I often have to look for the green arrow on the dash to check mine is on (but I am a bit deaf :-[)

Hmm?
Mine is definitely louder than the Subie was.
And that's a plus as I'm a bit deaf, too. :rolleyes:

Pip
I'm not a bit deaf  :D but I find it too quiet. I have to look for the visual indicator. Curiously, I find I don't leave it on as much as I used to when I relied on an audible indicator. I suppose the traffic noise is irrelevant when you use the visual indicator.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I think I've mentioned it before but my indicators are so quiet that my wife used to chastise me for not indicating (and she has good hearing)  :rolleyes:

Now she gives me the benefit of the doubt (now that IS generous ..as our Hyundai adds say) :lol:

Pip
I think I've mentioned it before but my indicators are so quiet that my wife used to chastise me for not indicating (and she has good hearing)  :rolleyes:

Now she gives me the benefit of the doubt (now that IS generous ..as our Hyundai adds say) :lol:
:D

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Trev,

Just checked again. Def. no illumination when you turn the ignition on. My dials are black background with white markings and red needles with a silver outline.
I wear sunnies all the time.
But............... I think I have the answer. :idea:
It's all our bright Queensland sunshine. :D
Which would work except I think Snowcherry has also complained about it and our cars are only a month or two apart. (but maybe it wasn't her).
It's overcast up here today and still no legibility problem.
I'm of the same opinion as surferdude,but I'm in Melbourne's the only difference.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Corky McBottle

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast

I was driving along with a friend, and at one point he said, 'left here mate', to which I screamed 'I KNOW! I'M INDICATING!!'

So then we had a discussion about the indicator being quiet.

Also, I didn't really scream at him :mrgreen:

FixedR6
Rather than start a new thread...  :D

I've had the 130cw SLX diesel for about 3 weeks now, just under 700kms.

Like:
Rear parking sensor! They should make these standard front and back 
Fuel economy. It’s not great yet, but will only get better as everything wears in. Got a little over 600kms on the first tank, but refilled before the warning light came on.
Boot space. Full load of shopping, first time in a long time ;)
Climate control.
Roomy! I'm only 6', but I fit properly in this car :D

Dislike:
Lot of road and wind noise. I expect some, but the car gets very loud on the freeway. Is there anything which can be sprayed in the wheel arches to reduce some of the road noise?
Slight hesitation on take off. If I need to scoot across a few lanes of traffic when turning right, I need to leave a bigger gap. It’s more of a driving behaviour thing, but I had hoped for torque from idle to 2500rpm.
Can’t navigate the iPod from the steering wheel.
The front passenger seat doesn’t have the same adjustability as the driver’s.
Vibration through the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Has anyone else had this? It felt a little like an alignment or tyre pressure issue.
Sloppy handbrake. I’ll ask for this to be tightened at first service.

Looking at the list it appears I don’t like the car. This isn’t the case, but there are a few things (noise and vibration) which once resolved would make a huge difference.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Fuel economy. It’s not great yet, but will only get better as everything wears in. Got a little over 600kms on the first tank, but refilled before the warning light came on. ( IS YOURS AN AUTO  :eek:)
Dislike:

Lot of road and wind noise. I expect some, but the car gets very loud on the freeway. Is there anything which can be sprayed in the wheel arches to reduce some of the road noise? (WIND NOISE - MUST BE THE ROOF BARS??? NOT NORMALLY AN ISSUE WITH I30s..) ROAD NOISE IS ABOUT AVERAGE FOR THE CLASS - WHAT TYRE PRESSURES ARE YOU RUNNING??)

Slight hesitation on take off. If I need to scoot across a few lanes of traffic when turning right, I need to leave a bigger gap. It’s more of a driving behaviour thing, but I had hoped for torque from idle to 2500rpm. (MUST BE WHEN IT IS STILL COLD - WHEN WARM IT SHOULD PULL OK FROM 1500RPM WITHOUT HESITATION - SHOULD IMPROVE A BIT WITH TIME)

Can’t navigate the iPod from the steering wheel. (I THOUGHT YOU COULD TO SOME EXTENT IF YOU HAVE CORRECT CABLE???)

Vibration through the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Has anyone else had this? It felt a little like an alignment or tyre pressure issue. (THE DIESEL CAN GENERATE A VERY SLIGHT VIBRATION THROUGH THE WHEEL BUT SOUNDS LIKE A BALANCE /ALIGNMENT ISSUE - GET IT CHECKED AT THE 1000 SERVICE ..AT NO CHARGE!!!)

Sloppy handbrake. I’ll ask for this to be tightened at first serviceFOR ME.(NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE FOR ME IN >2 YEARS )

FixedR6
Thanks for the reply Dazzler,

Yes it's an auto. I don't expect to get incredible economy, and as everything wears in it will only get better :)

As for the noise and vibrations I think some of it could be the stock tyres, and yes the roof racks have to be contributing.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the car. The iPod cable allows track selection, mode, and volume but can't navigate folders or playlist. It's a minor niggle - as are most of the things I've noticed which detract from an otherwise very nice ride.

It's still in the run-in period; after the first service I assume things will settle down somewhat  :D

Offline ch0pst1x

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• CRDi SLX
Rather than start a new thread...  :D

Like:
Rear parking sensor! They should make these standard front and back 
Fuel economy. It’s not great yet, but will only get better as everything wears in. Got a little over 600kms on the first tank, but refilled before the warning light came on.
Boot space. Full load of shopping, first time in a long time ;)
Climate control.
Roomy! I'm only 6', but I fit properly in this car :D

Dislike:
Lot of road and wind noise. I expect some, but the car gets very loud on the freeway. Is there anything which can be sprayed in the wheel arches to reduce some of the road noise?
Slight hesitation on take off. If I need to scoot across a few lanes of traffic when turning right, I need to leave a bigger gap. It’s more of a driving behaviour thing, but I had hoped for torque from idle to 2500rpm.
Can’t navigate the iPod from the steering wheel.
The front passenger seat doesn’t have the same adjustability as the driver’s.
Vibration through the steering wheel at freeway speeds. Has anyone else had this? It felt a little like an alignment or tyre pressure issue.
Sloppy handbrake. I’ll ask for this to be tightened at first service.

Looking at the list it appears I don’t like the car. This isn’t the case, but there are a few things (noise and vibration) which once resolved would make a huge difference.

I noticed the noise on the freeways too when I first got mine. It only happens on certain road surfaces for me, less wind but road noise. If there was crappy roads (like on the way out to Phillip Island) its noisy as! Everywhere else is pretty good though.
I'm either used it, growing deaf or its magically disappeared after servicing... I'm hoping its the last one.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I noticed the noise on the freeways too when I first got mine. It only happens on certain road surfaces for me,

Yeah same here... We have what I think "Lakes" calls "cold lay" bitumen in some areas which has a really course surface (cheaper to lay and good for grip I'm guessing ) and it is very loud on those but pretty good on "normal" smooth bitumen... :cool:

I don't know how much difference a thick sound deadening spray would make under the guards or some other form of sound deadening? I did put some high density felt type soundproofing in a Fiat 1283P I owned in the mid Seventies and that was pretty effective  :cool:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal