i30 Owners Club

hipposniper's paint probbs

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
i Know these are not stone chips  as why are they on the boot plus little bits are rised up what do you think, plus not happy how thin the paint is

the front bonnet

the boot

side

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
"Paint Protection Warranty"

You're covered against rust coming through from below if you keep to the inspection period. IIRC, Heidi is due for a 12 monther in Aug/Sep but if there's paint bubbling I'd get her seen to before that :eek: I can't quite remember but I think it's on your shoulders to report ASAP any bodywork problems which might affect the gaurantee?

Seems strange to have those probs at the boot area  :evil:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Are they new, or is it possible they have been there all the time?

The pics remind me of a thread from many months ago of a similar issue that seemed to be attributed to a zinc issue, but that thread was not really concluded.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,2844.0.html

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

thanks, been seen dealer and the sort it (but that was the one on the boot, since the had more)    but why is the paint so thin

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
its thin because its cheaper... thats one thing i dont like about our cars, the paint us UBER thin compared to my nissan...

there is nothing you can do about the paint being thin... its the way all cars are going... had a look at a mates brand new prado... its the same

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I don't find the paint on my Korean Built 2008 model to be all that bad or all that thin...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
when i had a look around the body there were areas that it was a little thin, when you open the boot/hatch/what ever up and look at the top of the body at the back of the roof its a little thin, same around the door jams... i mean its not like no paint just you can see its only just enough...

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

been and seen the dealer about how thin the paint was and shown him the marks, they said there is nothing they can do becoz they are stone chips and those kind of things happens. but thats not the issue, why is the paint so thin, if it was thicker i should of had stone chips after such a short time of hav,ing the car (6 Mths) that Sux, i have never known i car with this thin paint, im thinging of writing to hyundai and see the depth of paint it should be or ask them to explain why my paint so crap

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I'd be interested to know how they think you got a stone chip on the boot and on the side.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
on the front makes sence,but not the back.  :rolleyes:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Drivin' round Melbournes SE 'burbs in a Black SLX
I'd be interested to know how they think you got a stone chip on the boot and on the side.

Regardless of the paint thickness, how do they explain that they think it's stone chips - esp on the boot?
That's the part I'd ask as an explanation - esp if that is their final response.

You wouldn't be covered on warranty on stone chips - agreed, but to have them tell you it's stone chips on the back of the car?  Maybe it's their out and they're hoping you'd just drive off and it's the end of the story for them.

Plus from what I can tell from the pics there isn't any surrounding damage (i.e. smaller chips, marks, scratches etc).  The paint could be the issue and there are small areas where it is so thin that moisture has gotten in, caused it to raise (bubble) in warmer temps as the water expands and subsequently 'break'.
In this instance you should be covered - somehow.

But then - how do you prove/disprove?  I'm no paint expert, nor am I an expert on warranty claims, but I wouldn't leave it, nor would I leave it go much longer without pursuing.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
boot would be from a truck/car passing you... mabey?

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

that's what they said by something passing.... Iam not very happy, they also said the paint was waterbased and not cellulose that's be spayed over with lacker.... no wonder it chips easy... NOT A HAPPY BUNNY... do anyone the address for Hy head office so i can write to them,6 months old and the paint cant withstand stonechip its a bit bad show.. Ive had older Car's that could withstand them more... :mad: :'(

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I don't think I have ever seen let alone owned a car that got a stonechip on the back.

Sure the primer and colour are water based paint, this is the way of the world nowadays, but it gets clearcoat too, and that's solvent based until they change the process sometime next year.

"The technology employed in the paint shop is also state of the art, “This process uses detergents and solvents, and because our close neighbour is a brewery, who were worried about the risk of air contamination, we had to get the best technology available.”
Cars are normally treated to three layers of paint – a primer, then a colour followed by a protective clear varnish. Currently, only the top coat of varnish is organically-based. However, by 2011,
“as promised by Dupont, a water-based clear top varnish should be in use. They have
already invented it, but it needs some time to be commercially-available, which will keep the amount of escape from organic solvents to a minimum."

Are we absoloutely sure these are not zinc faults? I can't tell from the photos. Are you able to take a picture of one of them in really good light with macro mode selected on a camera?

If you get no joy try emailing customer services. Stone chips on the boot, pah!

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

well its so thin i can scratch the paint with my finger nail (which i accidently dont removeing road tar) now that sux

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

I think you should bypass the dealer and complain to hy customer services. I can't scratch my paint off like that. I had work hard to remove some seagull crap the other day, and the paint was still there afterwards.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i wonder if ray had  taken the paint protection option, could he say i want it fixed, the protection hasn't worked.!!   :mad: :wink: 

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

no i didint sadly, but even still they said it dont cover stonechips  it only cover tarnishes like bird p** or tree sap etc etc

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 paint protection, so its realy a waste of money if it only seems to cover bird p**.  :rolleyes:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal