i30 Owners Club

Engine stops occasionally

Offline Flooter

• 1st Gear

• Brisbane
Hello,

Just wondering is someone could point me to the right direction or experienced similar issue.

Problem - engine stops working unexpectedly.
It happens irregularly but pretty much once  a week. From what I can remember, it always happens when the car is on a hill facing up.

I was waiting for a traffic to pass when that happened - engine just stopped working and I had all dash lights on (all those lights that you can see when the ignition is on but the engine has not been started yet).

I tried to start the engine and it started and working OK.

Before that happened I think my car was shaking a bit, while I was standing and waiting for other traffic to pass.

Another incident was when I drove up to my house (it is on a small hill) and waiting for a garage door to open - it happened again.

However when I drive - no issues at all.

My car (i30 2013 GD 1.8MPI).
I also noticed that when I press the brake - engines RPM goes down a little bit. Is it normal? I have a feeling that that may be related, like some system decreases engine RPM when brake is pressed but in those cases above - it just decreased RPM too aggressively which caused the engine to stop. Make sense?

Now the funny part - it is not spark plugs - I just replaced them a week ago (put iridium ones);
I also have good OBD scanner (Autel DiagLink) with Hyundai proprietary software - it still does not detect everything (I believe) but it shows me engine, transmission, SRS, Airbag etc... so this scanner gives  me no errors. MIL light is also OFF. According to the scanner - no cylinder misfire.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.8lt, Auto, Grey

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi,
Manual or auto ( in case I missed that)
What is normal idle rpm,
 Last time fuel filter was changed.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
it always happens when the car is on a hill facing up.

Before that happened I think my car was shaking a bit, while I was standing and waiting for other traffic to pass.

I also noticed that when I press the brake - engines RPM goes down a little bit. Is it normal?

Try using the handbrake instead of brake pedal. Does the shaking stop?

Best guess that fits all the above is an air leak in the (vacuum) brake booster.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Flooter

• 1st Gear

• Brisbane
Hi,
Manual or auto ( in case I missed that)
What is normal idle rpm,
 Last time fuel filter was changed.
Hi mickd,
It is automatic and normally idle RPM is about 650 +/-.

Not sure about filter change time - probably "never".

Offline Flooter

• 1st Gear

• Brisbane
it always happens when the car is on a hill facing up.

I also noticed that when I press the brake - engines RPM goes down a little bit. Is it normal?

Try using the handbrake instead of brake pedal. Does the shaking stop?
Indeed it does. Once I use handbrake and release the pedal - everything comes to normal.
Vacuum brake booster?

Best guess that fits all the above is an air leak in the (vacuum) brake booster.
Is there something I could do myself - like checking/changing a hose or a seal or gasket etc?
Or getting access to that brake booster requires half a car to be disassembled?

I am not a mechanic by any means and the most "complex" procedure I have done so far was changing engine's oil + filter, replacing brake pads and brake rotor as well as changing spark plugs.

Thanks

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Unless you can see or hear a leaking hose, its a mechanic's job.

Find a NOT Dealership independent mechanic with some long term experience. Im just taking a punt given your description. He may find another fault and will give you a fair price for his time.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal