i30 Owners Club

GPS Navigation problem

Offline Tjienees

• 1st Gear
Hello,
When I wanted to use my navigator today it seemed it froze. When I performed a soft reset the next error appears.
When this appears I cant do anything except resetting it over and over again. I performed the soft reset a few times, the hard reset a few times, resetting without the SD card and now Im kinda stuck on what to do.

According to the GPStar website its part no. GPStar430BT
Any useful help is appreciated.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Is that a factory fitted unit in the top cubby??

If so, I would say it's covered by warranty and you need to get your dealer to sort it out.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi TJ

I resized your pic as it was breaking my eyes :rolleyes: :lol:

As bumpkin says, please tell us more about this unit. Was it fitted as an aftermarket kit in Holland, or did Hyundai fit it? There's a lot of info on the 'net about the procedure "gwes.exe", but you need to do a refined search in the context of your device...

Oh, and welcome to the forums :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Tjienees

• 1st Gear
Sorry about that ^^;

Well, I guess Hyundai (or the Hyundai dealer) builded this one in.
My parents ordered the car little more than 1,5 year ago and this was already on it.
I dont know exactly if the unit was there by default or added by the dealer afterwards.

Should I inform by the dealer maybe?

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Its failure mode, and error both tend to indicate a hardware failure.

Hopefully it will be covered by the warranty, see what the dealer says.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I found this so far.....................

Gwes is the Graphical Windowing and Event Subsystem. It’s one little program that draws all the controls on the device like scrollbars, buttons, and checkboxes. It also handles passing window messages back and forth between applications and manages the WndProcs of all of the programs on the device that are displaying UI.

A crash dump (“Watson dump”) is usually triggered by an unhandled exception in a program. It packages up a callstack and some diagnostics and queues it for transmission to Windows Error Reporting database.

If GWES didn’t handled exceptions that were thrown from your WndProc, then any crashing WndProc would crash GWES without fail and take down the entire system. GWES handles exceptions thrown out of other WndProcs. So GWES is responsible for triggering a Watson dump when another program crashes in a WndProc.

In short, it is possible that GWES really is crashing for some reason. So please keep sending those error reports to Windows.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Gwes is the Graphical Windowing and Event Subsystem. It’s one little program that draws all the controls on the device like scrollbars, buttons, and checkboxes. It also handles passing window messages back and forth between applications and manages the WndProcs of all of the programs on the device that are displaying UI.

A crash dump (“Watson dump”) is usually triggered by an unhandled exception in a program. It packages up a callstack and some diagnostics and queues it for transmission to Windows Error Reporting database.

If GWES didn’t handled exceptions that were thrown from your WndProc, then any crashing WndProc would crash GWES without fail and take down the entire system. GWES handles exceptions thrown out of other WndProcs. So GWES is responsible for triggering a Watson dump when another program crashes in a WndProc.

In short, it is possible that GWES really is crashing for some reason. So please keep sending those error reports to Windows.

Haha :lol: yeah I found that too. I don't think "Dr Watson" (or even his dump) could help here :D

Have the maps on the SD card been updated recently (or since your parents bought the car) ?  Looking further it smells like a mapping update has been applied that might not be compatible with your device, so the GUI is giving up the ghost trying to show it.

It's Windows CE isn't it. Pile of shite :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Haha :lol: yeah I found that too. I don't think "Dr Watson" (or even his dump) could help here :D

Have the maps on the SD card been updated recently (or since your parents bought the car) ?  Looking further it smells like a mapping update has been applied that might not be compatible with your device, so the GUI is giving up the ghost trying to show it.

It's Windows CE isn't it. Pile of shite :rolleyes:

Sounds about right, not being completely savvy with this kind of thing, I wondered if usb connecting to your laptop would help with any debugging process??

Offline spanishmike

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Cartagena Spain
I have had the same error message with my GPS which appeared after a message came up to say the memory was full. I tried a number of things but eventually got it working again by doing a hard reset with the card out. I then got a message "no SD card" I inserted it and the system rebooted and is working again

Offline Tjienees

• 1st Gear
My dad went to the dealer yesterday and he said that he did the instructions like you just described :P
Though I swore I resetted it without the card....

Anyway, thanks for the effort everyone :)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal