i30 Owners Club

1.4 vs 1.6 petrol - help me decide!

wedge69 · 44 · 22560

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
Hello,

I'm pretty certain I am going to buy myself a new i30.  I live in the UK, where the 2011 model year has just been released, and I am looking at a petrol engine.  That gives me a choice of either the 1.4 or the 1.6.

I've driven both, and to be fair there isn't that much difference.  I drive about 15 miles to work, a mix of city driving and some A roads (50mph).  I'm slightly leaning towards the 1.4 as it's cheaper to buy and run, but if anyone has any great opinions then please let me know.

Cheers!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome.. We don't get the 1.4 over her in OZ but all the feedback is that the 1.4 drives quite well and sounds more than adequate for your needs... Has got some good reviews too (Think it was the 1.4 petrol that got What Car "Small Car of the Year 2010" which is posted in news and reviews I believe)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Wedge. I saw your similar post on the H-F forum and you already got two favourable replies there (from members on here, obviously :P)

I echo what Dazzler said.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline hipposniper

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Devon

• ex-Heidi..North Devon.UK
shame they dont do a 1.8 petrol or a 2.0ltr... or did i miss something

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I have the 1.4 and wish I had paid extra for the 1.6

I had a 1.6 as a courtesy car from the dealer. The difference is quite marked, even though on paper there's not to much difference. You have to plan ahead to over take in the 1.4, the 1.6 is much better.

Just MY personal feelings  :lol:

Others may disagree.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That is interesting.. We used to have a 2006 1.6 Getz and my daughter got a 1.4 ex-rental of the same model. Our 1.6 was much zippier than her 1.4 and we seemed to get better and more consistent economy.  But... I am not sure if the Getz has the same series of motor as the European i30... :cool: 

I stick by my previous comment that 1.4 i30 owner feedback has been generally very positive but i guess it depends on your expectations and your previous vehicles..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Sleddog

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong
My Getz is a 1.4 and its goes great for alittle car ,I win most traffic light grand prix
with out trying ,it just takes off.
As said before you just got to pick the right time to over take .I drive freeway alot and it sits on 120km and just humms along :cool: ,and uses very little fuel.
I commute 150km per day and does every thing I ask of it.
Not sure if the I30 is much heavier ,it might make a difference or carrying 4 adults alot.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

I stick by my previous comment that 1.4 i30 owner feedback has been generally very positive but i guess it depends on your expectations and your previous vehicles..

As one of those feedback people, I previously had a Renault Laguna 2 litre petrol.

The 1.4 Hyundai isn't as quick in acceleration obviously, but not far short. There seems to be less torque at lower revs, so you need to use the gearbox more.

The Renault had lots of torque steer though, so making a quick getaway at a junction and turning into traffic was not always fun. No such problems with the i30 - ESP perhaps?

I use my car 98% as a city car though, so the 1.4 is fine for me. It all depends what sort of driver wedge69 is though I reckon - if he wants to overtake a lot on the A roads.

I might get an old Mitsubishi GTO or something as a fun car some day, but the Hyundai does me okay for day to day stuff. :)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know you say your mileage is only 15 but think about the diesel.

I know it will cost more but 1.6 crdi the drive is effortless.

I see they have or had some good deals on the diesel.

I only do 7 to and 5 back but I have the diesel and even with my total of 12 miles a day I'm returning an average of 54 mpg.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
I'm actually trading in a nine year old Skoda Octavia Tdi on the "Trade and upgrade" deal, so I'm used to a big heavy car!  I used to do 80 miles a day, so the diesel made sense then, but to be honest I can't afford the extra outlay for one now.

The 'A' roads are single carriage way, so there's not really much scope for much overtaking, unless you get stuck behind a tractor when you have to drop a gear anyway.

The 1.4 won the "What car" in the less than 13k catagory, which I don't think the 1.6 would fit into.

The posts here at the moment seem to be a 50/50 split....maybe I will toss a coin!

One thing I have decided on - Steel Grey Metallic.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
Hi wedge69 and welcome!

I'll put it straight:
- If you're single, pick 1.4
- If you like overtaking when travelling with missus + 2 kids + full luggage and a/c on, then... :rolleyes:

I'm more than satisfied with my 1.4 but i miss the extra power under conditions described above.

BTW, nice color! :)
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

HonestJohn says -

RHD 1.4i petrol

3 weeks prior to the UK launch I had the chance to drive a RHD 1.6 CRDI, and a 1.4i petrol version.

The diesel drove and handled identically to the LHD version tested in Austria. However, in typical UK conditions, it was notably refined. Apart from its power delivery you could not tell it was a diesel from either the driver or the passenger seat. Almost no diesel rattle at all.

But the big surprise was the smallest engine. The 109PS 1.4i is sweet, free-revving and refined. The car feels easily as quick as a 1.6 Focus and, though geared at a quite low 20mph per 1,000rpm in top, it was happy to cruise at 4,000rpm without droning.

The lighter engine also helps its handling. The car felt much more agile than the diesel on the same 205/55R16 Kumho tyres.

Do the sums and at £2,000 cheaper than the 1.6 CRDI and £200 less fuel cost per 10,000 miles it’s going to take 100,000 miles to make up the difference in purchase price.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/hyundai/hyundai-i30

Buy from a discount house and they are somewhat cheaper -

http://www.carpricechecker.co.uk/new/HYUNDAI/I30/prices

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--  I see that review is 3 years old, but even so I can't see why HonestJohn would say the 1.4i would be £200 cheaper on fuel over 10,000 miles than the diesel :eek:

Offline Mike SX

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Essex

• Trust nobody with nowt to lose
HonestJohn

Name is Peter Lorimer. I will ask the actual Fuel Range Tester/Technician (Peter DeNayer), when I get home this weekend. They rave about the diesels, (persuaded me to buy two), but published details did seem different....
The diesels are much more responsive & of course fuel efficient.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
A 1.4 is a excellent choice if you ask me. Over here, you can get 1.4 quite "cheap", because if you buy 1.6, you automatically have to buy it with more equipment etc.

I've driven both 1.4 (109hp) and 1.6 petrol engines. Somewhere, they even sell 1.4 with 90 hp engine (in Slovenia, they started selling Kia Ceed with that engine), so pay attention, because you don't want that one. Trust me. The 1.4 with 109hp one is quite okay. Goes nice, insurance (over here) is noticeably cheaper then 1.6 one and it costs less from the start. You can go even relatively fast with it, maybe the engine has some "issues" with overtaking (especially at speed above 80 km/h), but other than that, it's not that bad at all.

If I tell you the truth, I think the difference between 1.6 engine and 1.4 isn't as big as it "should be".

In the end, I would go with what babis_xo said.

Before buying, I would strongly advise to try them both out.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

^--  I see that review is 3 years old, but even so I can't see why HonestJohn would say the 1.4i would be £200 cheaper on fuel over 10,000 miles than the diesel :eek:

I think that paragraph is just badly worded. I think it is meant to read that the diesel will be £200 cheaper over 10,000 miles.

I did some sums before I got my car, which went along these lines -

petrol  -  10,000 miles at 34mpg, 120 per litre = £1604
diesel  -  10,000 miles at 54mpg, 122.9 per litre = £1027

which is £570 cheaper. Though I'm working on urban mpg figures only there - as appropriate to my needs. The 1.4 does 40+ in mixed driving.

Since I only do approx 10,000 miles over three years and at time of purchase the diesel was approx £2,200 more to buy it would have taken well over ten years to make up the difference. And that is without the increased servicing costs for the oil burner.

If I did 6000 miles per year or more then I would probably have made a different decision.

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
Thanks again for the advice.  I have read about every review I can find on the internet, and they all seem to say the 1.4 is almost as good as the 1.6.  I might give each one another go, but I am leaning towards the 1.4.  I'l let you know when I have bought one!  Oh, it will be the "2011" model year version.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I only do 7 to and 5 back but I have the diesel and even with my total of 12 miles a day I'm returning an average of 54 mpg.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Is there tectonic movement or something that moves your work two( :exclaim:) miles closer to home at night :question: :question:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^--- :lol: I think Lester always finds a quicker route home. Same here. Takes longer to get to work (somehow) but far faster to return home :lol:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Is there tectonic movement or something that moves your work two( :exclaim:) miles closer to home at night :question: :question:

Leave home. Turn left, busy road so turning right can take sometime. Left onto Mway, left off Mway. Right at roundabout, left at junction, 1 set of lights straight on, another set of light straight on. Left and right turn into car park.

Going home. Left. 1 set of lights straight on, another set of light straight on. Left before Mway and take A road straight on.  Left at roundabout, not the one going to work.  1 set of lights straight on, left, right, left and Home!

The reason I don't use Mway going home is at the junction I leave you get back up of traffic.

Hence the difference of 2 miles.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

moxey
I have a 1.4, 2010 petrol and i travel around 20 miles a day in traffic and it is returning 49.8 mpg cant argue with that

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Leave home. Turn left, busy road so turning right can take sometime. Left onto Mway, left off Mway. .  <snip>
The reason I don't use Mway going home is at the junction I leave you get back up of traffic.

Hence the difference of 2 miles.

I had assumed that you popped into a 24 hour pub on the way to get a stiffener* before an arduous day at work. But obviously wrong there. 

* my girlfriend, Duff, says that I should point out that I was meaning a drink, for the benefit of Aussie readers.  :lol:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

I had assumed that you popped into a 24 hour pub on the way to get a stiffener* before an arduous day at work. But obviously wrong there. 

* my girlfriend, Duff, says that I should point out that I was meaning a drink, for the benefit of Aussie readers.  :lol:

:-[ :-[ :P :P

Sorry mate, couldn't resist :twisted: :twisted: :razz:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
Well, I've ordered a 1.4 petrol comfort, 2011 MY.

I'll let you know when it comes!

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Good stuff, keep us posted.

* my girlfriend, Duff, says that I should point out that I was meaning a drink, for the benefit of Aussie readers.  :lol:

Offline L30N

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Wallsend, North Tyneside, UK

• Wallsend, UK

Good choice! Road tax is slightly cheaper too on the 1.4 I think.

- If you like overtaking when travelling with missus + 2 kids + full luggage and a/c on, then... :rolleyes:
Slightly agree but I don't think you'll find acceleration too much of a problem once you get to know your gears, shame there isn't a 6th for the motorways though.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti

Good choice! Road tax is slightly cheaper too on the 1.4 I think.
Plus more affordable services and consumption :wink:

Slightly agree but I don't think you'll find acceleration too much of a problem once you get to know your gears,
I found easier to get to know my a/c-off button :lol:

shame there isn't a 6th for the motorways though.
a little noisy between ~4.000 and ~4.200. I keep revs <4.000 or >4.200 :mrgreen:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
After being told I wouldn't get it to August the dealer rang today to say they had it!  Apparently Hundai had one lying around on the dockside somewhere!

Annoying thing is, it's going to take three days for the bank to transfer my money to where I need it  :evil:

Still, hopefully Monday....

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Good luck mate. We're right behind you :D

Offline clackerz

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia