i30 Owners Club

Constant Headlight Blows

Duckman · 316 · 118383

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Guys, I was drawn to this forum looking for an answer as my son owns a 2007 i30 diesel which he bought a few months ago off his friend who bought it new and for the second time he has called me to ask me to have a look at his headlights again! I got very interested in this complaint and actually read all that has been happening to all of you people who own one of these cars. The interesting bit is that I am an Auto Electrician and have run my own business for the last 28 years. As my son is off to the UK from Wednesday I will have the car here to test and play with. I have given the thought of Back EMF a lot of priority as there are many things in a car that can cause these "spikes". One of which is the Air conditioning Compressor Clutch Coil! Any way I will not reveal too much yet as if I find the fault I will sell the repair Ideas to Hyundai. I do not believe it has anything to do with Bulb life span. There has to be something that causes them to blow so prematurely. I have been doing Auto Electrics since 1971 and have never come across this problem on any other brand of car. I will keep you posted withy my findings "If any"!

I take it you haven't seen the Toyota Prius? namely the passengers side headlight?
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline AUTOSPARK

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Jimboomba
Unfortunately us Auto Electricians don't speak the same terms of testing as unprofessional and we tackle problems differently as we understand what is happening a bit better. "We" don't do our testing like you speak of. To be honest it makes no sense. I did not say what Modifications I did will fix the problem as it is only intermittent an all cases. But I am sure with what I covered I am quite close to solving it. Like I said we will just have to wait and see. Unfortunately my Son's car will not be getting much use in the next 4 Months as he is off to Europe till September working but as I will have the car at my place I will try and make us of it myself and most use will be at night with lights on. We will give it time. Regarding the starting it definitely winds over with more ease having a negative cable to the engine direct with less connections. This leaves the original earth supply (Battery Negative) to the body just for body electrics like the lights and other engine electrics will have a better connection to the battery without having to go through bolts and connections. Just a shorter cut really.!
  • i30 Diesel 2007

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Regarding the starting it definitely winds over with more ease having a negative cable to the engine direct with less connections.

I wonder why the car has been wired up as it is and the car not set up as you have done by the boffins at Hy.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Pip
Unfortunately us Auto Electricians don't speak the same terms of testing as unprofessional...
Ouch, I suspect that was directed at me. :TutTut:

I will add that I have worked in the electrical/electronic service industry (at the coal face) all my working life (46 years) but you are right, I'm not a professional in your field and on this forum just an interested owner.  :winker:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Don't worry Pip, it was directed to all who have voiced opinions on this matter, including me. Not quite how we expect to be referred to, by new members. :whistler:

However, putting a decent earth close to the starter motor is always a good idea and if I had the headlight problem, I would have certainly bolstered up the earth at the lights.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline AUTOSPARK

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Jimboomba
Hey guys I am not saying that you people don't know what you are talking about. I just mean that you make problems sound so complicated with the type of testing you do which are un necessary in my books. Mind you knowing electrical systems like I do makes it easier to find a resolution. However if I did not read all your previous replies I would not have come to the decision that I came to. It all helped. I am still learning too and there is always lots to learn with cars these days. I usually play with Classic Minis which are much simpler than today's cars. I have 3 of them!!!
  • i30 Diesel 2007

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
When an unusual problem is presented to us here, we try to look at all aspect of what could be wrong. So the discussion will range in quite a few directions until we (clue / luck) onto a workable solution. We value anyone who has professional qualifications that can offer logical, direct and simple solutions. Personally, I believe you have more than likely cured the light problem in this car because of your actions. If you have, by reporting what you have done will help many other members. :goodjob2:

Offline AUTOSPARK

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Jimboomba
If it works I might try and sell me remedy to Hyundai! unless someone else reeks the benefits before me.
  • i30 Diesel 2007

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
If it works I might try and sell me remedy to Hyundai ...
I can tell you now, at least 3 4 dealership IP addresses have clocked this thread.

Let's hope, if they decide to post, that they're not quite as condescending.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
We unprofessionals can only try.  :whistler:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
HI , My local Hyundai say there is a fix for this issue, it's a wiring loom modification with a diode in. I am having then fitted (FREE) on Thursday. I Will try and get some more info and let you all know.

Offline AUTOSPARK

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Jimboomba
Huh!!! , It looks like Hyundai have already "read my remedy" and are copying it. That is exactly what I came up with! They have eyes looking for answers everywhere. I wonder if they will say thanks for me getting them out of a shitty problem!
  • i30 Diesel 2007

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Huh!!! , It looks like Hyundai have already "read my remedy" and are copying it. That is exactly what I came up with! They have eyes looking for answers everywhere. I wonder if they will say thanks for me getting them out of a shitty problem!

:snigger: Don't hold your breath! But  :Agoodjob: anyway...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
Time for me to reactivate this problem again. My i30 is going in for 60000km service in two weeks and I have just sent a 9 pages written report describing my problem and findings (described somewhere on page 5 in this thread) to the local garage.

I even gave them a hint about the "wiring loom modification with a diode in" described by sparki30 just above here.

Interesting to see what they come up with.

I'm really getting tired of changing bulbs all the time...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:fingers:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
As this thread is now very long I won't read from the beginning.  :P

Have you ever measured the voltage at the bulbs.. :question:

My CRDi have 13,8 Volt at the bulb when engine is running.

Still too much for a 12 V bulb, but if I don't buy those +50% (or more) light bulbs, I don't have to change the bulbs very often, and here we have the lights on at all times, the headlights are used as DRL on my FD.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

After 5 years of discussion it now appears very likely it is partly to do with the earthing of the lights.

That appears to be the case from recent discussions on here (and in this thread too I think)  :confused:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Thanks for the synopsis, Dazz.  :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I don't think 13.8 is too high, it's just normal running / charging voltage. Can anyone confirm this or is there 12V regulation to the lights? :eek:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
No regulation AFAIK and I measured a lot higher than that but no blows yet.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I don't think 13.8 is too high, it's just normal running / charging voltage. Can anyone confirm this or is there 12V regulation to the lights? :eek:

13,8 is normal.

The regulator in the alternator is normally at 14,4 Volt.

When I said it is too much, I meant that 13,8 V is too high voltage to be good for a 12 V product in general.  :mrgreen:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Surely bulb manufacturers realise, that no operating 12v system runs at 12v :Shocked:

Offline steinrk

• 2nd Gear

• no Norway

• 1.6CRDi U2/6Spd
@Phil №❶: As I wrote in another thread 2.5 years back, the H1/H7 bulbs are produce accordingly to  ECE Regulation 37 http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/R037r7e.pdf and this specifies that the Test Voltage (Test voltage: voltage, at the filament lamp terminals for which the electrical and photometric characteristics of the filament lamp are intended and are to be tested.) should be 13.2V
I guess that this also means that the life time of the bulb is measured at the test voltage = 13.2V

Since the real voltage is sometime more than 14.4V (10% higher than test voltage), this will lead to shorter life time. Most likely much more than 10% reduction.

The big question is of course why this only seems to be a problem with some cars not all...

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Unless I missed something, quite possible lol... I have a question. Accepting that even petrol versions have air-con, then if it may be air-con related,why does it seem to be exclusively diesel owners having this problem? I have had no headlight bulbs go in 5 years!
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The general consensus at present is that a surge is responsible for the headlight failures. The likely culprit is poor earthing and there are published solutions for that. Diesel only, my theory is that Diesel engines do not have any ignition equipment fitted. By nature, this equipment is a heavy electrical consumer and because it is on, surges are probably absorbed in the coil etc. The only things running in Diesel's initially, are solid state devices, radio, ecu, bcm, with the exception of the heater fan, these are low current devices, so a surge can do more damage.

BTW, we leave the fan on while cranking just for this purpose, never blown a globe yet, @ 40+k's. :Touch:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Had the car back for 90K service and again raised the problem of headlights blowing, 20 and counting. Again checked and no faults found, so spoke to Hyundai Australia who escalated the matter and sent it to a local auto-electrician.
He could find no obvious fault due to intermittent nature.
His suggestion was to have HID globes fitted at my cost (approx $500).
I can feel a court case coming on. :fum:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If my car had blown 20 bulbs, I would have undertaken the earthing measures already discussed, regardless of what Hy did or did not find. It will inevitably be quicker, cheaper and more satisfying than a court case.

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear
  • magunuthVE

• pn Pitcairn
      Usa

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
Hyundai has already claimed to have performed earthing measures described.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Had the car back for 90K service and again raised the problem of headlights blowing, 20 and counting. Again checked and no faults found, so spoke to Hyundai Australia who escalated the matter and sent it to a local auto-electrician.
He could find no obvious fault due to intermittent nature.
His suggestion was to have HID globes fitted at my cost (approx $500).
I can feel a court case coming on. :fum:

I had thought this had been resolved with their last fix but turns out not so. Are the bulbs lasting any longer than previously.

Perhaps fair trading or small claims tribunal (whatever it is called) may be able to come to a solution. If it can legally be done, ie HID, perhaps fair trading could force Hyundai to meet the cost as they don't seem to have an answer for the obvious fault.

This bulb thing would be driving me crazy. I symphathise with you.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Has anyone considered vibration?

Always seems to be diesels doing this doesn't it?

Just askin......
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal